Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Are Oil Tests Helpful to prevent or are they not really necessary? Who has send Oil to be tested? What were your results?
Sponsored

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
They are somewhat helpful long term. but you have to take samples regularly to see trends that build up over time. I used to send samples religiously on my 1LE Camaro. Seeing the trend in TBN and viscosity shearing will let you know if you're running your oil too long, or wasting perfectly good oil changing too soon. I actually found that Shell Rotella T6 5W40 gave some of the best results of wear metals and maintaining TBN and viscosity between changes on the 1LE, even with a few track days on the oil.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Waste of time and money if you ask me but a nice hobby if you have some $$ and time.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
I was going to get my first oil change sent and analyzed. I don’t think it’ll tell me much other than the amount of metals that came off from break in?

I’ll do so for the following changes as well... maybe.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
On a stock car I don't think they're all that helpful, unless you want a better understanding of what's happening over time.

In the 50K I've run this car, I've done two samples. One when I switched to synthetic oil, and one after I flashed to KTuner. In both cases, I wanted to see how these changes were impacting wear rates, and whether it made sense to alter my maintenance schedule.

OP
OP
Israel

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On a stock car I don't think they're all that helpful, unless you want a better understanding of what's happening over time.

In the 50K I've run this car, I've done two samples. One when I switched to synthetic oil, and one after I flashed to KTuner. In both cases, I wanted to see how these changes were impacting wear rates, and whether it made sense to alter my maintenance schedule.
Im running On Stock Tune i dont want to tuned it now. The only i have Ad its Bolt ons
PRL CAI cobra and Intercooler.
Im not sure if would be a good idea to send an Oil Test
What do you think?

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've done several Blackstone UOAs on several different cars, motorcycles, and even my Kubota tractor. If it's a vehicle that's running satisfactorily, and you don't intend to keep it forever, it really doesn't make sense to do UOAs. I do them because I'm an engine geek.
Useful information I've found:
1. 5w-30 and 0w30 synthetic are perfectly fine for the K20C1 and L15B7; wear metals are are similar, or even better than 0w20
2. I've found that doing oil changes every 2 years is fine for engines that aren't used much.
3. In the wintertime, 5000 miles is a good OCI for my LX (L15B7) because of increased fuel dilution
4. Crazy high lead levels were from unintentional use of leaded race gas (pump was labelled unleaded 100 octane) and not bad bearings.

TheSnakeJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
It is worth it to me. I had an analysis done on my factory oil and I just changed my oil again yesterday and I'll be sending it out also. I will share my results once I get it back.

OP
OP
Israel

Israel

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is worth it to me. I had an analysis done on my factory oil and I just changed my oil again yesterday and I'll be sending it out also. I will share my results once I get it back.
Looking forward
Sponsored