Blackstone engine oil analysis 1.5L turbo

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I understand that's what the railroads do also. They never change oil in their locomotives--just top up. Most of those engines are 2-strokes, though. And they still do regular oil analysis.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The people with those older model Honda's with 200k-300k miles better start doing this. I cant believe how stupid people are that they wouldn't do an oil analysis. :rolleyes:
For a stock motor just follow the recommended maintenance schedule and use quality replacement materials. Most people don't need to get anything analyzed unless there is an issue of some sort.
It doesn't hurt to get the analysis done but what do you do if it shows an issue?

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
For a stock motor just follow the recommended maintenance schedule and use quality replacement materials. Most people don't need to get anything analyzed unless there is an issue of some sort.
It doesn't hurt to get the analysis done but what do you do if it shows an issue?
Sell the car of course....before it blows up!

10thGenCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T (ordering soon)
I received the analysis of the oil from my 3 week old 1.5 L turbo coupe at 2100 miles. The first 600 miles were primarily twisty back roads with lots of elevation change. After that it was mostly freeway miles with a 600 mile round trip to Death Valley. I saw a very slight rise in the oil level on the dipstick which was confirmed by the slight fuel dilution of the oil. This I've read is typical of a direct injection engine but should diminish as the rings continue to seat. I do my own maintenance and changed the oil to Mobil 1 EP 0W20 with a Honda Filtech oil filter. I don't have the ability to edit the PDF from Blackstone which contains personal information, but the analysis was what Blackstone expected for a new engine. Thanks!
Thank you for posting. It provides great insight to the inner workings of the new 1.5L Turbo during break in.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Direct Injection turbo motors are sharing a common theme... carbon/soot accumulation. Manifold, valves, and in worse cases... oil control rings. I trust Honda has done their homework on a brand new platform. And the condition seems to correlate with valve temps and timing. But UOAs add a level of insight that traditional methods may no longer capture (fuel dilution, carbon accumulation, wear patterns, etc). On a new motor, $50 every 20K is cheap insurance (for those who know how to read them).

Or one could change the oil blindly and never know their OCRs are accumulating deposits.
Sponsored