mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 6MT Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have about 2200 miles on my Civic. And every time I checked the oil, there's a weird black residue that comes off on my paper towel. It's happened about 3 times now. Is this something I should be concerned about it is it just a quirk of thr factory fill oil?
Sponsored

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Pics please and you need to describe this situation a lot more then the obvious of people thinking the black residue is actually you're oil lol..

OP
OP
mkimmey1

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pics please and you need to describe this situation a lot more then the obvious of people thinking the black residue is actually you're oil lol..
It comes off every time I wipe the dipstick
Honda Civic 10th gen black residue on dipstick IMG_20161210_163332897

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
It comes off every time I wipe the dipstick
IMG_20161210_163332897.jpg
That is somewhat normal when you view used oil on a white paper towel. The darkness is a combination of various impurities held in suspension by the oil - combustion by- products, moisture, fuel, wear metals, silicon etc - the oil is designed to hold them in suspension and they come out of suspension when you blot the oil on a paper towel. During the initial break-in period the level of wear metals is at their highest, along with other impurities. The factory oil is also high in moly additive which can appear dark. Your next oil change interval will run cleaner.

BTW, the oil blotch test on white paper towel is often used as a rough method of estimating oil impurity levels. When you do that you will see how much dark oil shows up in comparison to the lighter shade of oil that separate from each other when blotted on a paper towel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mkimmey1

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That is somewhat normal when you view used oil on a white paper towel. The darkness is a combination of various impurities held in suspension by the oil - combustion by- products, moisture, fuel, wear metals, silicon etc - the oil is designed to hold them in suspension and they come out of suspension when you blot the oil on a paper towel. During the initial break-in period the level of wear metals is at their highest, along with other impurities. The factory oil is also high in moly additive which can appear dark. Your next oil change interval will run cleaner.

BTW, the oil blotch test on white paper towel is often used as a rough method of estimating oil impurity levels. When you do that you will see how much dark oil shows up in comparison to the lighter shade of oil that separate from each other when blotted on a paper towel.
OK, I was wondering if it was the moly content, but it seems the black residue is more than just that. Thanks for your input!! I know its frowned upon to change the factory fill early because of the high moly content, but would it be acceptable to change it early (say 5k) if you put a high moly content oil back in it? What do you think on that? Im not really keen on leaving the oil in for 10k miles, especially if most of the wear happens during the break-in process.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
OK, I was wondering if it was the moly content, but it seems the black residue is more than just that. Thanks for your input!! I know its frowned upon to change the factory fill early because of the high moly content, but would it be acceptable to change it early (say 5k) if you put a high moly content oil back in it? What do you think on that? Im not really keen on leaving the oil in for 10k miles, especially if most of the wear happens during the break-in process.
I say an oil change at 5k-6k is fine, and you are correct that pretty much all of the break-in wear is done by then. You don't need to use a high moly oil for future oil changes, go with the oil of your choice. There are very few high moly oils out there, and the type of moly that is used in over the counter motor oil is a different form of moly compared to what is used in factory fill oil, so don't dwell on that.

OP
OP
mkimmey1

mkimmey1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I say an oil change at 5k-6k is fine, and you are correct that pretty much all of the break-in wear is done by then. You don't need to use a high moly oil for future oil changes, go with the oil of your choice. There are very few high moly oils out there, and the type of moly that is used in over the counter motor oil is a different form of moly compared to what is used in factory fill oil, so don't dwell on that.
Ok. I just dont want to do any "damage" in a sense if I change it early. I know its typically recommended to keep the factory fill in until the oil life reaches 15%

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I just dont want to do any "damage" in a sense if I change it early. I know its typically recommended to keep the factory fill in until the oil life reaches 15%
Well they've been saying that for the last decade when recommended oil changes used to be no more than 5k miles, now with oil life monitors they are stretching the mileage use for all oil changes and they are including the factory fill oil in that. You won't hurt anything by changing it at 5k as the break-in process will be done, go 6-7k if you feel better about it or the entire length which the oil life monitor tells you. There is no right or wrong answer, everyone should run what they prefer. I'll probably be changing mine by 6k. You won't notice a difference either way but you will have cleaner oil in there sooner. Break-in was pretty much complete by 600 miles, and the majority of that was within the first 100 miles.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
What you are seeing is a small amount of fuel and carbon deposits in the oil. Completely normal and expected.

You can always do a UOA for around $35-50 if you really want to know what's going on.

markfu42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
What you are seeing is a small amount of fuel and carbon deposits in the oil. Completely normal and expected.

You can always do a UOA for around $35-50 if you really want to know what's going on.
I am having the same issue with 2019 Civic SI at around 1100km, though the black residue seems to be coming off from the upper end of the dipstick not even close to the where the oil is showing.

Honda Civic 10th gen black residue on dipstick black residue with oil

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The residue is likely from vapors circulating in the crankcase. Again, if you're honestly concerned, run a UOA after the 2nd or 3rd oil change for peace of mind. :)

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Normal, i’ve seen the same on mine with factory fill
Sponsored