Black license plate screws

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Are there official factory license plate screws, front or rear, and if so what is the size?

My dealer said there are no OEM screws & they use a hex head self-tapping screw that looks like about a #12 thread size. Obviously they look clunky.

My concern is how much wear & tear the nylon/plastic inserts can take from periodically changing screws so look nice.

OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I just took one of the screws out and took it to Lowe’s, and got the same/similar thread.

I think an m6 thread will also work, even tho it’s not the same thread that the dealer uses.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I just took one of the screws out and took it to Lowe’s, and got the same/similar thread.

I think an m6 thread will also work, even tho it’s not the same thread that the dealer uses.
I did take a screw to Home Depot & got the same thread. But I'm wondering if/what Honda supplies with the car for the dealer to use. The dealer said they use the hex head screws because sometimes the screws are difficult to remove. Don't know why that would be since they go into a nylon/plastic insert.

EDIT - Thought I got the same size but got #12 vs the dealer's #14.

Last edited:
OP
OP
justasimpleman

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I did take a screw to Home Depot & got the same thread. But I'm wondering if/what Honda supplies with the car for the dealer to use. The dealer said they use the hex head screws because sometimes the screws are difficult to remove. Don't know why that would be since they go into a nylon/plastic insert.
The 2 cars I bought at this dealership, they used hex on the front, phillips on the back, both times.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The 2 cars I bought at this dealership, they used hex on the front, phillips on the back, both times.
Mine has Phillips on the front & hex on the back.

My two previous cars used machine screws (bolts) and I used plated or chrome ones so they would not rust.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Was really hoping somebody would link to some sick locking stainless steel/black license plate screws that I just can’t seem to find online.

My screws always rust and look like crap...

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
The hex head screws the dealer used on the rear appear to be #14 x 5/8” long.

What I installed is #12 x 5/8”, Pan Head Phillips, zinc plated. Home Depot Everbilt #806571.

These aren’t the most elegant looking & wish the head size was larger, but they do look less clunky than hex head screws. Think I went with #12 screws because they fit my other car. And IIRC the #14 screws seemed excessively tight for a license plate screw.

On my previous cars think I used stainless steel machine screws from Ace Hardware because they wouldn't rust. Not sure what Ace has for sheet metal screws, but they do have some chrome screws that they keep in a locked up display.