Black/Grey Plastic maintenance

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you all keep the grey and black plastic on your cars from looking dull?

I recently purchased Liquid Glass LG100--clayed my car and then sealed the car in LG100, needless to say the car looks permanently wet and extremely reflective but now the plastic trim pieces on the nose and bumper look dull.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
For the matte/textured plastics, go for Solution Finish. It's designed to restore faded plastics, and works fantastic at keeping them and new ones alike in prime condition for years. Just ensure you follow the steps properly and prep the surface correctly; if you get any on the paintwork or surrounding areas, be sure to wipe up quickly.

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is some info on trim restoration and trim coatings. Being that your car is newer a good trim coating such as Gtechniq C4 or Carpro DLUX would likely do the trick and keep the trim nice and dark for a long time. I prefer Gtechniq C4 though and it is very easy to work with, so you would likely have no problems applying it yourself. Here is a blog post for the application process.

cypress

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I tried Autogylm Bumper Gel this past Saturday. Right now my trim is in good condition. Mostly garage kept for the first year but now it is outside 24/7 basically.

Autoglym right now is doing an okay job and does bead with water but it has been put to the test with a ton of rain. I will see how long it really last, but I been hearing good things about Solution Finish. If your trim looks dull, I would opt with that. Just remember to mask the area properly.

micheal2008

First Name
hanist
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM
Country flag
The black plastic trim on vehicles fades due to UV rays. The UV light from the sun penetrates the trim material, causing the plastic to oxidize when exposed to oxygen. Oxidation makes the car’s plastic trims darken and become brittle.
In addition, oils on the plastic trim’s surface degrade and dry, making it look faded and gray.
Sponsored