BLACK FRIDAY DEALS forum members might want to know about - 2017 edition

loutamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
upload_2017-11-27_13-56-25.png

Looks like Amazon beats the price again. I paid $348 for mine shipped Fedex, so I guess I got beat for $19. :/. Oh well, maybe I supported a 'small' business?
Good choice, I was thinking the same think. However, I just picked the lesser model without wifi and gps logging capabilites. Blackvue dr490 2Ch
Sponsored

Zipsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 2016 BMW i8
Country flag
Are you using the mirror hanger adapter or the stick on clip? How do you plan to do it in the back?
Oh boy...I did A LOT of research to see what my options were to attach the camera in the front and back. And, what I found out was, there are no good options.

The front camera
The only real good option to mount the front Blackvue camera without using adhesive is Blendmount (https://www.blendmount.com/dashcam-blackvue.html). However, I already have a Blendmount radar detector mounted on the neck of the rearview mirror. And the radar detector vibrates/bounces when driving. Thus, if I can somehow manage to attach another mount for the camera on the neck of the rearview mirror, I suspect the picture quality will be unusable due to the excessive vibration. I can mount the camera alone on the neck of the rearview mirror (and hope there's no vibration), but this would mean finding another suitable option for the radar detector....which I have yet to find. So, until I can find a suitable option for the radar detector, I opted to use the adhesive attachment that comes with the Blackvue. Once a suitable option is found for the radar detector, I can always remove the adhesive with a heat gun and rubbing alcohol. As far as powering the camera even when the car is turned off, I opted against the Power Magic Pro. I decided to tap the dome lights with this (https://store.blendmount.com/mirror...line-fuse-with-military-grade-taps-p3625.aspx). This will give me constant power supply to the camera so that it will run even the car is turned off. Let's hope that it works.

This is the look I'm going for.
Honda Civic 10th gen BLACK FRIDAY DEALS forum members might want to know about - 2017 edition DR650S-2CH-behind-Uniden-R3-on-Blendmount

This is pretty cool...but for Tesla only

The rear camera
No aftermarket mounting options that I can find for Blackvue. Adhesive attachment to the glass or plastic trim piece is the only "clean" option I've seen. I have seen people make a homemade mount that slides over the headliner, but didn't look that clean. So, I'm going to use adhesive again to attach the rear camera. This one isn't going to be so easy to remove when the time comes. Because it will be attached over a tinted rear windshield, as I'm removing the adhesive, it may lift the tint or damage the tint in some way.

Something like this for the rear.
Honda Civic 10th gen BLACK FRIDAY DEALS forum members might want to know about - 2017 edition BlackVue-DR650GW-2-Channel-Front-Rear-Drive-Recorder-for-Audi-Q5-8R-3

Hope this helps.

Z.

Last edited:
OP
OP

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Oh boy...I did A LOT of research to see what my options were to attach the camera in the front and back. And, what I found out was, there are no good options.

The front camera
The only real good option to mount the front Blackvue camera without using adhesive is Blendmount (https://www.blendmount.com/dashcam-blackvue.html). However, I already have a Blendmount radar detector mounted on the neck of the rearview mirror. And the radar detector vibrates/bounces when driving. Thus, if I can somehow manage to attach another mount for the camera on the neck of the rearview mirror, I suspect the picture quality will be unusable due to the excessive vibration. I can mount the camera alone on the neck of the rearview mirror (and hope there's no vibration), but this would mean finding another suitable option for the radar detector....which I have yet to find. So, until I can find a suitable option for the radar detector, I opted to use the adhesive attachment that comes with the Blackvue. Once a suitable option is found for the radar detector, I can always remove the adhesive with a heat gun and rubbing alcohol. As far as powering the camera even when the car is turned off, I opted against the Power Magic Pro. I decided to tap the dome lights with this (https://store.blendmount.com/mirror...line-fuse-with-military-grade-taps-p3625.aspx). This will give me constant power supply to the camera so that it will run even the car is turned off. Let's hope that it works.

This is the look I'm going for.
DR650S-2CH-behind-Uniden-R3-on-Blendmount.jpg

This is pretty cool...but for Tesla only

The rear camera
No aftermarket mounting options that I can find for Blackvue. Adhesive attachment to the glass or plastic trim piece is the only "clean" option I've seen. I have seen people make a homemade mount that slides over the headliner, but didn't look that clean. So, I'm going to use adhesive again to attach the rear camera. This one isn't going to be so easy to remove when the time comes. Because it will be attached over a tinted rear windshield, as I'm removing the adhesive, it may lift the tint or damage the tint in some way.

Something like this for the rear.
BlackVue-DR650GW-2-Channel-Front-Rear-Drive-Recorder-for-Audi-Q5-8R-3.jpg

Hope this helps.

Z.

Yep looks like some pretty good stuff. I didn't do that much in the way of research, but I was planning to just use whatever adhesive clip mounts they offer and tuck it up above/behind the rear view mirror. For the rear one, I was planning to mount it down below the low spoiler. I had heard that when you mount it up high, the bottom half of the screen is blocked by the CTR wing. I've got the same problem with the window tint...Debating on trying to cut out a circle in the tint so that the camera has full access to the glass but I don't know if I'm going to go and do that. Probably just try it through the tint and see what happens.
I want to pair the camera with radar but I just don't get out on the highway that much and only the state cops here in PA can use radar, so it doesn't really pay back. I can't locate one now, but there used to be these systems that had bumper mounted sensors, high windshield mount sensors, etc etc and that is what I'd want to go for. Very low profile!
Sponsored