Black exhaust smoke civic type R

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
as already mentioned, a bit of black smoke isn't much to be concerned about.

If it was blue smoke (Oil consumption), I'd be much more concerned. This engine, so far as much as I've seen, doesn't seem to consume oil like old VTEC engines of days gone by.
I can't help but speculate that for what soot we see at the tip, there is 10x that much on the front of the CAT Ceramic. How in the world can that much soot be good for the cat? If the cat isn't burning it into its constituent elements, and it's waste out the cat, then isn't there a large quantity on the cat itself?
I had a 370Z for 10 years and it never had that much soot on the exhaust tips at any time. I barely had to clean it.
I personally haven't heard of any 4 banger with a turbo and cat having to replace the cat or having operational difficulties due to the cat being filthy but it does make me wonder.
I mean soot is waste product, and it can't be good for the cat to be that filthy.
Interesting. I regularly had to clean my Nismo 370z tips. Not as much as the Civic, but still plenty.
Sponsored

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
as already mentioned, a bit of black smoke isn't much to be concerned about.

If it was blue smoke (Oil consumption), I'd be much more concerned. This engine, so far as much as I've seen, doesn't seem to consume oil like old VTEC engines of days gone by.

Interesting. I regularly had to clean my Nismo 370z tips. Not as much as the Civic, but still plenty.
Well I did clean it but it/they were never as sooty as the 4 banger is out off all 3 pipes.

OP
OP
BuenoFk8

BuenoFk8

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Has anybody else had black smoke come out from their FK8 exhaust? It doesn’t happen while I’m driving, it only happens when I’m cold starting the car and go into reverse I may rev the engine a bit and I see the black smoke on camera. After that everything is normal, it’s happened a few times to me Out of random. I came home from work and revved the engine after I had driven it and nothing came out it’s only on my cold starts, Does anybody know the causes? The only mod I have is a PRL intake.
Just an update I took my car for a long drive like 250 miles and I averaged close to 28 miles per hour so I’m not too worried especially considering I was going close to 90mph most of the way so I was burning more gas
Sponsored