Bilstein B6 Struts and Shocks

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
Hi CivicX community!

I am in need of new shocks/struts on my EX-T(100k miles with noticeable ride softness) and have been looking around to see what might be the best replacement option. Since I do not plan to lower my car (I live in an area where it snows quite often and this is my year-round car), I decided to look into OE-style replacements. It had seemed that KYB and Bilstein B4 shocks/struts were my only options until I stumbled upon this thread which mentioned that the Bilstein B6 was available in the European part catalogue. I had to see this for myself, and indeed the B6 as well as the B14 PSS are available for the non-CTR models. Indeed, this news release mentions that these parts were available since May-June 2020. Part numbers are as follows:
Front B6 L: 22-291752
Front B6 R: 22-291769
Rear B6: 24-291743
B14 PSS: 47-282177

1614723267655.png

1614723291376.png

However, I could not find a US retailer which had these in stock. I reached out to Bilstein North America and got a response about covid and production issues:
1614723589721.png

1614723609699.png

I also could not find these in stock at any of the usual US retailers like RockAuto, TireRack, Summit Racing, even Amazon. I reached out to TireRack to see if they might stock these anytime soon and I will keep this thread updated with the response. However, I did notice that these are listed on some European retailer websites. After some more searching, I decided to purchase the set of front and rear struts/shocks from nsb concept. The links to the parts are as follows for those interested:
Front L B6
Front R B6
Rear pair B6

The prices seemed reasonable and were lower than those from other Euro retailers. The only snag was the 86.19 euro shipping and handling from France o_O
1614723983314.png

Anyways, I will keep this thread updated with any news from TireRack as well as my ordering status and eventually a review of the B6 shocks/struts once I get them installed.
be careful with the KYBs, I have run them as "replacements" on a few cars. Good quality and they last but can be stiff. They would definitely be considered a slight performance upgrade. I have KYBs on my Xterra and they are quite stiff. Previously used Bilsteins and they were awesome. I have run KYBs on cars in the past and they were definitely stiffer than a direct replacement.

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
I ended up buying Tein Coilovers paired with their EDFC Active Pro. Needed to replace shocks these horrible shocks.
the Teins are horrible shocks?

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Last edited:

jwbrockman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport Manual, 2007 Honda S2000 (STR)
Country flag
Those are actually the L and R front part numbers not F and R. I have them on my car, happy so far. Nobody seems to have rears yet. I figured out another solution that seems to work well but don’t really want to encourage others to go down that route until I’ve run these a while longer.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Those are actually the L and R front part numbers not F and R. I have them on my car, happy so far. Nobody seems to have rears yet. I figured out another solution that seems to work well but don’t really want to encourage others to go down that route until I’ve run these a while longer.
Thanks for the update! Interesting how far apart the numbers are for L/R. I would've thought they would use sequential numbers..but I guess not!

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/prod...118763152454957069&BodyId=8394324182330765011

Seems like rear doesn't even exist then.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The European billstein website has them listed.
Honda Civic 10th gen Bilstein B6 Struts and Shocks Screenshot_20210912-084551_Chrome

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Anyone has gotten B4 yet? I am leaning toward B4 to compliment with prokit and would like to hear of any review or feedback.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Anyone has gotten B4 yet? I am leaning toward B4 to compliment with prokit and would like to hear of any review or feedback.
B4 is just an OE replacement and not designed for stiffer suspension. I personally would want B6 for the additional damping. Typically other cars have a combo kit with B6 and eibach prokits.

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quite surprising that there isn't a compatible damper and spring combo for the 10 gen platform. Having read other car forums that the B6 is meant to be fitted with OEM Springs.

Also interestingly, spoon sells an FK7 damper kit on their EU website, but not in the US market. The US sells the spoon springs, but doesn't include the damper kit.

https://www.spoonsports.eu/spoon-products/honda-civic-fk7/51600-fk7-000.html

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Yes, B4 and B6 are for OEM spring. B8 is for lowering spring.
B4 is just an OE replacement and not designed for stiffer suspension. I personally would want B6 for the additional damping. Typically other cars have a combo kit with B6 and eibach prokits.
Eibach prokit is progressive spring, the spring rate will increase as it being compressed progressively. It is not stiff throughout the entire spring travel. Since the pro kit is lowered an inch and already reduced the body roll, I am looking an upgraded shock i.e. gas shock, in this case B4, to balance the prokit. My understanding is that gas shock is more consistent damping rate than oil when it heats up and B6 is a bit harsh at slow speed, but as my country road condition is good here, most of the time the shock/spring will travel on the ‘soft’ range. Hence, I am looking for a oem damping rate to compliment with my pro-kit for my dd use.
Happy to also hear any feedback on B6 with prokit too.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eibach also sells B12 pro kits which are eibach pro kit springs with billstein b6 sport or b8 sprint shocks.
Most of the manufacturers today don't even make progressive springs anymore .They still call them that because they act like that.They all are dual rate springs .Only the old springs where actually progressive. Eibach ,swift ,spoon, skunk2, h&r ,whiteline are all either dual rate springs or linear.

Honda Civic 10th gen Bilstein B6 Struts and Shocks SPRING-TYPES-1

Last edited:

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I emailed Bilstein and they said it wasn't even on their "Coming Soon" Product sheets for North America.

Well shit.

edit: I might just order from europe.
Sponsored

Last edited: