Bigger Wheels and Tires possibly mess up speedometer?

bthai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a question about my theory, If I got bigger wheels with tires, and the circumference is bigger, would that mess with the speedometer readings or anything of that sort?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Yes, it will also mess with your odometer.

It'll also increase radial load and decrease your fuel economy, and depending on how big you go you'll have clearance issues when turning.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
If the wheel/tire is lighter and the new circumference puts you further down the road with every rotation, there's always a possibility of increased MPG. My tires have a circumference .99% greater than factory so if I want a true mpg after hand-calc I should multiply the answer by 1.099 but I don't even hand-calc any more.]

Most likely though your larger tire will also be wider and probably a softer compound, both of which translate to more friction and less mpg..

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought I had read somewhere that you can input the size of your tire in your car and the car would calculate the new circumference to correct the speedometer. I can't seem to find it, but it might be worth a call to the dealership to see if that's possible or not.
Sponsored