First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Hi all,

I own a civicx 1.5T ( sport plus - European edition)
I want to add an oil catch can, a bigger intercooler and a new down pipe.
The question I have is this: if I change the intercooler with a bigger one does it induce turbo lag?
For sure will induce cooler air in to the engine and helps in heavy city traffic.
Does anyone have a technical explanation?

Thanks
Sponsored

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Hi all,

I own a civicx 1.5T ( sport plus - European edition)
I want to add an oil catch can, a bigger intercooler and a new down pipe.
The question I have is this: if I change the intercooler with a bigger one does it induce turbo lag?
For sure will induce cooler air in to the engine and helps in heavy city traffic.
Does anyone have a technical explanation?

Thanks
I'll say this, if you want a upgrade for intercooler, get the PRL kit, or Mishimoto's when it's available. They did testing to make sure you don't get excessive lag or power lose. You will need to get tuned. More air and cooler charge means more power, but not if the tune is off.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'll say this, if you want a upgrade for intercooler, get the PRL kit, or Mishimoto's when it's available. They did testing to make sure you don't get excessive lag or power lose. You will need to get tuned. More air and cooler charge means more power, but not if the tune is off.
I have one of the above intercoolers, and you definately don't need a tune. The ECU just won't pull timing since the temps don't get that high, that's where the extra "power" comes from... Boost pressure stays the same and the fuel maps stat the same. Intercoolers don't make power, they're a supporting mod for when you get a bigger turbo

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These turbos spool so quickly that the ECU induces artificial turbo lag to slow them down. You should have nothing to worry about with any half decent aftermarket intercooler.

OP
OP
nikkon

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Waiting for mishimoto to release their own intercooler and will decide which one to buy. Hondata tune might be an option, but my main concern is the high temperature generated by the city traffic ( Bucharest)

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Ahh okay, wasn't sure if it was required or not, a few few threads kicking around about intercoolers that are misleading. Definitely a plus.

OP
OP
nikkon

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
thx for the replies.i'll wait for mishimoto to release their own and decide on which one to order.

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
thx for the replies.i'll wait for mishimoto to release their own and decide on which one to order.
If its for city driving, both wont make much of a difference as they will both heatsoak just sitting in traffic, where they make a difference is when you're moving and getting air on them.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
nikkon

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Is there someone who can technically explain this behaviour? I think it's related to the size of the intercooler which will imply a bigger air volume inside. to feel that volume in the same amount of time you need either a bigger turbo or the same spinning faster. Please correct me if I'm wrong. how is this addressed by the aftermarket companies?

FK7Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there someone who can technically explain this behaviour? I think it's related to the size of the intercooler which will imply a bigger air volume inside. to feel that volume in the same amount of time you need either a bigger turbo or the same spinning faster. Please correct me if I'm wrong. how is this addressed by the aftermarket companies?
Its all about flow, the factory intercooler may be smaller in volume, but because they are manufactured to a price point, they can be somewhat restrictive. It is true, that by have a larger intercooler, you will introduce lag because you have a larger volume to fill up, however companies fix this in their engineering, by allowing the intercooler to be less restrictive, it allows the larger intercooler to fill at the same rate as the OEM.

OP
OP
nikkon

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
ok. I understand. thanks for the reply.