Big Turbo, Hybrid Turbo Discussion Thread

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Little we know about the stock turbo in our Type R (TD04 turbo), but with the proliferation of aftermarket parts, it is hard to avoid think about this upgrade in the future..

What’s your take on:
  • Hybrid turbo: Very popular option these days.
  • Big turbo: 2nd popular option.
  • Twin Scroll turbo: deeper pocket option, but it will happen eventually.
Please, discuss.

Honda Civic 10th gen Big Turbo, Hybrid Turbo Discussion Thread Motor-Mercedes-AMG-GT-Test-stand-Glowing-turbo-charger-fotoshowBigImage-b767878b-797224
Sponsored

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
As far as I know, the exhaust/collector/turbo are all one part (and part of the head itself) - so any aftermarket option is going to be quite expensive.

fmoua916

Nothingbettah2do
First Name
Fong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r agean blue
Country flag
Will need a tune solution first before even worrying about the turbo haha

OP
OP
Night Fury

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
As far as I know, the exhaust/collector/turbo are all one part (and part of the head itself) - so any aftermarket option is going to be quite expensive.
I've been checking this company, I find difficult they wouldn't bring an option for the CTR in the future, specially now that is a global product. Basically what they do & work a bit on the stock housing, they upgrade the compressor & turbine wheel to a beefier ones.

https://www.theturboengineers.com

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
How exactly would this work? It looks like the wheels are physically larger than the turbo itself?

TypeRinATL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Take stock housing and grind the house and polish and put bigger fins inside

Gotcha. I was thinking they were designing these to be drop in. I was obviously wrong.

Very cool way to add power. Wonder if it drastically changes the spool sound?

And I wonder what the power curve looks like.

OP
OP
Night Fury

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Gotcha. I was thinking they were designing these to be drop in. I was obviously wrong.

I think it will change the sound for sure, but depending on the exhaust configuration of the car, we might – might not perceive so much the difference.

Not sure if the power curve will remain similar, giving you that NA awesome feel the stock turbo has -specially a high RPM. Hopefully the tuners can keep that close to stock too.

Wouldn't this just be compromising the turbo?

They are a bunch of legit companies doing this modification to other turbo brands with good results, if done correctly , we would just have to worry only about a shorter lifespan of the turbo, that logically with this mod can be shorter than stock unit.

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
I think it will change the sound for sure, but depending on the exhaust configuration of the car, we might – might not perceive so much the difference.

Not sure if the power curve will remain similar, giving you that NA awesome feel the stock turbo has -specially a high RPM. Hopefully the tuners can keep that close to stock too.

They are a bunch of legit companies doing this modification to other turbo brands with good results, if done correctly , we would just have to worry only about a shorter lifespan of the turbo, that logically with this mod can be shorter than stock unit.
Actually the life of the turbo is typically made Longer - they always upgrade the bearings and typically go from a journal bearing to ball bearing - I know in my Si, PRL has already finished the hybrid upgrade and the ball bearing switch increases the life of the turbo:) The other item is typically they have a "finer" finish due to the machining and one off, they don't deal with the mass production issues and the teams developing this know the word of mouth and happy customers get them repeat customers and new ones, they take the extra time and they typically last longer. I will say the K04 has gotten lightyears better than when I ran it in my old Audi 225 TT, they have had like 10 renditions to it and it puts out more than the old "disco potato" - GT28 that was the heat back in the early 2k's:) Take a look at what the MS3's, and Golf R's put down on the stock K04's these days and it's impressive! The benefits for the TypeR guys are the K04's have been worked extensively with companies for the otehr markets already:) My first experience with the Hybrid turbo's was during my BMW 335i ownership, Hybrids are awesome man, and life expectancy is increased:)

Power curve will go to the right, it will stay relatively the same down low but with the huge charge towards the top it will feel like your going slower on the bottom end:) As for drop in this is the easiest way to go and is drop in:) You remove your turbo and place this one on - there is no other way to "drop them in". BTW, the spool sound Definitely increases moving WAY more air:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Night Fury

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Actually the life of the turbo is typically made Longer - they always upgrade the bearings and typically go from a journal bearing to ball bearing - I know in my Si, PRL has already finished the hybrid upgrade and the ball bearing switch increases the life of the turbo:) The other item is typically they have a "finer" finish due to the machining and one off, they don't deal with the mass production issues and the teams developing this know the word of mouth and happy customers get them repeat customers and new ones, they take the extra time and they typically last longer. I will say the K04 has gotten lightyears better than when I ran it in my old Audi 225 TT, they have had like 10 renditions to it and it puts out more than the old "disco potato" - GT28 that was the heat back in the early 2k's:) Take a look at what the MS3's, and Golf R's put down on the stock K04's these days and it's impressive! The benefits for the TypeR guys are the K04's have been worked extensively with companies for the otehr markets already:) My first experience with the Hybrid turbo's was during my BMW 335i ownership, Hybrids are awesome man, and life expectancy is increased:)

Power curve will go to the right, it will stay relatively the same down low but with the huge charge towards the top it will feel like your going slower on the bottom end:) As for drop in this is the easiest way to go and is drop in:) You remove your turbo and place this one on - there is no other way to "drop them in". BTW, the spool sound Definitely increases moving WAY more air:)
:werd: