Beware of buying USED Ktuner devices

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
There are too many conflicting messages to determine the unlocked status of the device.

1. You received a successful unlocking error message as shown above, but now you have to verify the color of the LED.

2. Do you have a blue LED flashing status? If not, now you need to go online and look up the LED color definitions. Your LED color definition says it could also be green. Does it matter if the device is connected to the OBD port? I checked the color while it was plugged in, and it was hard to tell if it was flashing green or blue; the colors are pretty similar.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/led_status_meanings.htm

3. Why would the error message tell you to check the Ktuner Unit Info when that's not the proper way to check it?
This 100%. I followed the on screen successful unlock message in KTuner software to verify unlock & now have a non-functioning unit with no way to correct it on my end as my old car is long gone.

I'm at a loss for words at this point. I have a $450 paperweight because I followed directions, this all just feels so wrong. I wish I had the $200 to be done with it.
Sponsored

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just saying, Hondata's unlock directions are very simple. No unlocking check is necessary on the user's end.
I appreciate you posting this thread. Ktuner’s replies here have been more than enough to steer me away from their products regardless of their ease of use or lack of it.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I appreciate you posting this thread. Ktuner’s replies here have been more than enough to steer me away from their products regardless of their ease of use or lack of it.
Good luck getting any reply from hondata here or on drive accord or facebook. they literally go a month or more at a time before even replying or posting here, and here you are making a judgment about one issue of someone not following directions. What else would you expect Ktuner to do? He has now answered this same question, here and in email multiple times. But yeah, their customer service is totally a joke right?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
There are too many conflicting messages to determine the unlocked status of the device.

1. You received a successful unlocking error message as shown above, but now you have to verify the color of the LED.

2. Do you have a blue LED flashing status? If not, now you need to go online and look up the LED color definitions. Your LED color definition says it could also be green. Does it matter if the device is connected to the OBD port? I checked the color while it was plugged in, and it was hard to tell if it was flashing green or blue; the colors are pretty similar.

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/led_status_meanings.htm

3. Why would the error message tell you to check the Ktuner Unit Info when that's not the proper way to check it?
The detail about the light being blue is extra useful information if you want to use it. How to verify, outlined in the help, is to get the message stating it's not yet locked to an ECU. That's what the section of that help page is aptly labeled. "Verifying It's Unlocked". It contains not only information, but photos for reference.

So what is your issue with the help information? That there's too much information? Your suggestion on how I can make that information any clearer is appreciated, because adding more information seems to be a step in reverse according to what you've said here.

jimmyreal

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What else would you expect Ktuner to do? But their customer service is totally a joke right?
I expect companies to take a "how do we get to 'yes'" approach + have more tact in public. I didn't call anything a joke; needs work ≠ a joke. Vivid Racing's CS is a joke.

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
The detail about the light being blue is extra useful information if you want to use it. How to verify, outlined in the help, is to get the message stating it's not yet locked to an ECU. That's what the section of that help page is aptly labeled. "Verifying It's Unlocked". It contains not only information, but photos for reference.

So what is your issue with the help information? That there's too much information? Your suggestion on how I can make that information any clearer is appreciated, because adding more information seems to be a step in reverse according to what you've said here.
I’ll let you decide on the best solution. Maybe a solution isn’t needed and users are just too dumb to read the directions. We can let the results determine that and people can post their opinions here.

This thread is starting to go off topic. The purpose of this was to warn potential KTuner buyers or when they decide to sell.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I’ll let you decide on the best solution. Maybe a solution isn’t needed and users are just too dumb to read the directions. We can let the results determine that and people can post their opinions here.

This thread is starting to go off topic. The purpose of this was to warn potential KTuner buyers or when they decide to sell.
I'll see what I can do with the info given so far. Thanks for the feedback.

kadireren

First Name
kadir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T Hatchback Sport + CVT (182ps)
Country flag
I'll see what I can do with the info given so far. Thanks for the feedback.
Hı , ktuner. I have a few suggestions about the software as well.
1.why there isn't a way to view the tune file names on the ktuner unit that we saved in the slots between 1-5 v1.2? The only way to view them what we uploaded before is pluging the unit to the obd and run tunerview.we want to see them in the ktuner software for PC.

2- ı think a "flash was succesfull" warning would be useful when we upload a tune to the ktuner unit Via ktuner software it the flash iş indeed succesfull

3- lastly i want to view knock count live on tunerview with v1.2 as it is already possible with V2

Thanks.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Hı , ktuner. I have a few suggestions about the software as well.
1.why there isn't a way to view the tune file names on the ktuner unit that we saved in the slots between 1-5 v1.2? The only way to view them what we uploaded before is pluging the unit to the obd and run tunerview.we want to see them in the ktuner software for PC.

2- ı think a "flash was succesfull" warning would be useful when we upload a tune to the ktuner unit Via ktuner software it the flash iş indeed succesfull

3- lastly i want to view knock count live on tunerview with v1.2 as it is already possible with V2

Thanks.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Names can be viewed through the TunerView app, which is the only way to flash them. You can't flash them with the KTuner software, so there's no need to display them as options.

If you're flashing there is a flash successful message. If you're talking about just storing it, it's complete when the progress bar disappears.

That information isn't relayed to TunerView. Knock control is what to watch.

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I received the KTuner device and attempted to unlock it again.

First attempt to unlock failed and I received an error saying it failed. I had to lock it back to my ECU and attempt another unlock. Nothing else was changed. This time it was successful and I received the expected message indicating the unlock was successful. Furthermore, the LED shows a solid blue. I think in the previous attempt, the light was green but LED definition page says green and blue are the same. @KTuner can you clarify the LED colors?

Honda Civic 10th gen Beware of buying USED Ktuner devices 77826986-258A-4CA3-A373-60673AA785A9

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
@KTuner Where is the Ktuner device getting the factory tune file when you return it to stock? Does it save the factory flash file to the Ktuner device before it overwrites it with the tuned file, or is it writing the ECU with a generic factory file?

The reason I ask is because Honda had some TSBs that required flashing the ECU. Would Ktuner capture the updated Honda tune?