Beware of buying USED Ktuner devices

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
I recently sold my Ktuner v1.2 device to John Doe. Before shipping the device, I made sure to select the 'return to factory' button and also unlock the Ktuner from my ECU. The picture below was taken right before I shipped the device.

Honda Civic 10th gen Beware of buying USED Ktuner devices 1610299349738

Furthermore, the instructions on Ktuner's site (see below) indicates that the above screenshot is sufficient evidence to prove that the device was unlocked (it's not).

Honda Civic 10th gen Beware of buying USED Ktuner devices 1610299333946

When John received my Ktuner device, he indicated it was still locked to my VIN and provided a screenshot for evidence.

I contacted Ktuner Support to see if they could do a remote unlock. The answer was 'no' and they indicated that I needed to follow specific instructions and a different unlock method verification. Basically, I'll need the buyer to ship me the device, unlock, then ship it back.

See official unlocking instructions below:
v2: http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/locking_to_unlocking_from_an_ecu_1.htm
v1.2: http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/locking_to_unlocking_from_an_ecu_2.htm

So the take way from this is:
- The unlock ECU button doesn't always work. I've never seen a software function not work and not provide a clear error message to the user but whatever.
- Make sure to carefully read Ktuner's instructions for unlocking the device.

Honda Civic 10th gen Beware of buying USED Ktuner devices 1610299026777

Last edited:

Digity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport-16 Pilot-90 K5 Blazer
Country flag
I recently sold my Ktuner v1.2 device to John Doe. Before shipping the device, I made sure to select the 'return to factory' button and also unlock the Ktuner from my ECU. The picture below was taken right before I shipped the device.

1610299349738.png

Furthermore, the instructions on Ktuner's site (see below) indicates that the above screenshot is sufficient evidence to prove that the device was unlocked (it's not).

1610299333946.png

When John received my Ktuner device, he indicated it was still locked to my VIN and provided a screenshot for evidence.

I contacted Ktuner Support to see if they could do a remote unlock. The answer was 'no' and they indicated that I needed to follow specific instructions and a different unlock method verification. Basically, I'll need the buyer to ship me the device, unlock, then ship it back.

See official unlocking instructions below:
http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/locking_to_unlocking_from_an_ecu_2.htm

So the take way from this is:
- The unlock ECU button doesn't always work. I've never seen a software function not work and not provide a clear error message to the user but whatever.
- Make sure to carefully read Ktuner's instructions for unlocking the device.

1610299026777.png
Great info thank you for sharing

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for sharing. I was lucky enough to scoop up a properly unlocked unit at a good price.

I'm surprised that the folks at Ktuner wouldn't perform this operation for you. What if you had sold the car and didn't have access to it?

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Thank you for sharing. I was lucky enough to scoop up a properly unlocked unit at a good price.

I'm surprised that the folks at Ktuner wouldn't perform this operation for you. What if you had sold the car and didn't have access to it?
You’d be SOL or buy a new KTuner license, which probably costs as much as a new KTuner.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
No, it doesn't. As I mentioned in email, and you can clearly see in your photo of the instructions you followed, those directions are for the IN-ECU Hardware which is completely different than the KTunerFlash hardware. Separate section, separate instructions. Make sure if you're following instructions for a unit that you're actually in the help section for that unit.

That's because we can't perform this operation for you.

If you're the original owner you'd purchase a new license for the unit. We don't know if the vehicle left with a tune on it.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Guess I'll be checking my unit at lunch. I've always unlocked it as you have above as well.
From my Civic Si to my last Accord several times. My first KTuner unit had to be sent back & I was issued a new unit. I've always done it as above as well.

I traded my Accord 2.0T in to a dealership for another Accord 2.0T recently.
I proceeded just as you have above: Factory Tune> Unlock > Successful Unlock Message > Double check KTuner information.

Have not tried to retune my new Accord yet but last time I checked the KTuner unit off the car it kept asking to lock & I was not getting the very last message in the link provided. I have never seen the pop up message below as listed in the directions:

Honda Civic 10th gen Beware of buying USED Ktuner devices 1610387238929

**Crossing my fingers I don't have a paperweight**

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Am I in the same boat? Shows factory reflash on my last Accord & KTuner unit unlocked.

Yet I'm see this message hooking the unit up to my laptop & not the other message?

I did connect KTuner to my new car just to check sensor values via Tunerview on my phone?

Honda Civic 10th gen Beware of buying USED Ktuner devices 20210111_121919

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Am I in the same boat? Shows factory reflash on my last Accord & KTuner unit unlocked.

Yet I'm see this message hooking the unit up to my laptop & not the other message?

I did connect KTuner to my new car just to check sensor values via Tunerview on my phone?

20210111_121919.jpg
If it's connected to the vehicle when you connect you will get a lock window. If you're trying to check if it's currently unlocked connect to it without a vehicle.

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag

20210111_121919.jpg
I received that message when I connected KTuner to the vehicle. This is NOT a way to check whether or not the KTuner device is truly unlocked. Mine was still locked. This is why the messages are misleading.

Check the message without connecting KTuner to the car.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was in a rush at lunch, sorry for not being clearer.

I meant that is the message I am getting with the unit off the car, sitting next to me on the couch with my laptop. Won't have time to hook the unit up in the car with my laptop until after work to definitely check the status.

Also had previously only hooked the KTuner 1.2V up to my new Accord to check sensor values with my phone & the Tunerview app when inspecting for purchase. I've never hooked the laptop up while the unit is in car, tried to flash, nor even a lock to my new Accord.

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Only true way to check status is to connect KTuner v1.2 without the car and make sure you get the correct message.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
I was in a rush at lunch, sorry for not being clearer.

I meant that is the message I am getting with the unit off the car, sitting next to me on the couch with my laptop. Won't have time to hook the unit up in the car with my laptop until after work to definitely check the status.

Also had previously only hooked the KTuner 1.2V up to my new Accord to check sensor values with my phone & the Tunerview app when inspecting for purchase. I've never hooked the laptop up while the unit is in car, tried to flash, nor even a lock to my new Accord.
What's shown in your photo is an Accord. If the unit is asking you to lock without being connected to a vehicle those are the details it is locked to currently. It can't randomly make up ECU numbers, it gets them from a vehicle or from the saved data it's locked to.

A unit can't lock via TunerView, so that would have to be done with the proper locking procedure.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Only true way to check status is to connect KTuner v1.2 without the car and make sure you get the correct message.
Correct, which I just performed. I am getting this message instead of the one the help document shows.
What's shown in your photo is an Accord. If the unit is asking you to lock without being connected to a vehicle those are the details it is locked to currently. It can't randomly make up ECU numbers, it gets them from a vehicle or from the saved data it's locked to.

A unit can't lock via TunerView, so that would have to be done with the proper locking procedure.
Exactly what I was wondering, appreciate the answer.
It appears my unit is still locked to my car I traded in last November then.

What are my options at this point, my old Accord went right to auction 2 months ago.

OP
OP

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
@CrippleRipple sounds like you have a paperweight if you didn't get the expected message. It's not possible to remotely unlock Ktuner. I've asked.

I believe you can buy a Ktuner license, but the cost of that probably doesn't make sense if you have the intention to sell the device.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@CrippleRipple sounds like you have a paperweight if you didn't get the expected message. It's not possible to remotely unlock Ktuner. I've asked.

I believe you can buy a Ktuner license, but the cost of that probably doesn't make sense if you have the intention to sell the device.
Wow, that really sucks and what I was fearing.

Saw your post and was like wait a minute........

It even shows the last flash back to stock & no VIN locked like yours.
Sponsored