First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My data is sparse and largely anecdotal... However, driving very spirited after having installed (and enabled in existing tune) an ethanol sensor, I am getting better fuel economy.
I was filling with ~E20 blend for the last 6-10 months, before the ethanol sensor was installed, and got around 19-22mpg when driving very spirited. Now, I'm putting ~E40 in the tank, and straight punishing the throttle like it owes me money. I've been getting a steady 26mpg for the last tankfull.
Same fuel source, even less energy content, and the fuel injection when ethanol is enabled is moreso. I was not expecting this.

As I collect more data, my working hypothesis is this: I don't abuse the posted speeds very much, so with the ignition advanced I'm producing more power and spending less time at WOT; getting to speed faster, and then sitting at more optimal fuel consumption conditions for longer. Less k.Ret and fuel trims could mean more power from the fuel being burnt.

Anyone else have experince to match/refute?

Shout out to @PRL Motorsports - my non-Si pulls and responds amazingly after installing your Ethanol Sensor Kit! This is definitely one of those upgrades that fulfills.
Sponsored

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
In short. Increasing ethanol concentration in your fuel does not get you better gas mileage. My evidence is based on already public information about energy density between pure ethanol and pure gasoline. To be honest, gasoline is a mixture of octane and other solvents including toluene.