First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have a 2019 Civic Si.

Every time I wash my car, I always seem to get some brown residue on my wheels, or at least the black part. I've tried to use degreaser product and brush at it before washing my car, I've tried to use deionized water during my rinse, I've tried ONR on it afterward, and it still leaves that coloring that I'm referring to. You can't see it from far away, but it's noticeable up close.

I was wondering what kind of product I should use after washing? I've used product from CarPro, Chemical Guys, and Adam's among others. Thanks.
Sponsored

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may not have the answer, but I use Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel for when it comes to detailing my tire after a wash. Helps avoid the browning that will occur. I didn't buy one of those "applicators"(lots are history after a couple uses. waste of money imo) people advertise for gels. I just want to my paint shop, bought a brush, clip a good inch or two of the hair and use it to apply, quick 10'ish minute job.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I may not have the answer, but I use Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel for when it comes to detailing my tire after a wash. Helps avoid the browning that will occur. I didn't buy one of those "applicators"(lots are history after a couple uses. waste of money imo) people advertise for gels. I just want to my paint shop, bought a brush, clip a good inch or two of the hair and use it to apply, quick 10'ish minute job.
Aah, sorry! I should have been more specific. I meant the rims, not the tires. I actually use CarPro PERL for my tires right now, though looking at Meguiar's (which I use one of their products for my windows), I like that theirs is a thicker applicant. CarPro's is a little runny, so I may consider looking at your suggestion in the future.

I'll have to take a picture of that "browning" on the rims that I'm referring to next time I can, as to not confuse anybody.

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport HB 6MT, 1996 Accord EX 4dr 5MT
Country flag
That's weird it keeps coming back. Have you tried using a clay bar out of desperation? lol

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's weird it keeps coming back. Have you tried using a clay bar out of desperation? lol
Heh, not yet.

Is there an issue using ONR with the wheels, by chance?

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I haven't heard of anyone having issues. It's still technically a painted surface because of the clearcoat.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks.

Here are two pictures. Now I'll let you know that I have driven my car since last washing it, but even after washing it and then just putting it in my garage, these would essentially show up the next day.

Honda Civic 10th gen Best wheel detailer? F5E4iH

Honda Civic 10th gen Best wheel detailer? LztU0r

I only use microfiber towels on it and ONR. I don't spray the ONR on the rims themselves, only because they would get through to inaccessible parts of the wheels that can't be wiped (unless that's how you're supposed to do it). My final rinse is always with deionized water, and I only dry using a filtered air dryer, whether or not I apply the ONR on it later.

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That looks like brake dust. I'm guessing that the front is worse than the rear. Try using a wheel cleaner like Adam's or Sonax. Spray it on, let it sit, watch it change colors as it tackles the brake dust/iron, spray off. Pressure washer works best, but not required.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Looks like rust from the brakes. Give this product a try, it is expensive but very good at cleaning wheels. For the most part it is actually an iron remover, you can find lots of different brands and for some reason it is usually a costly product and you can't buy it at regular stores. You will always know it is an iron remover you're using by the awful smell. Meguiars makes this one though which can be found at Walmart, if your lucky you can find the second one I listed from Eagle One for much cheaper but I always have a hard time finding it. Two warnings I will give you though, it smells really awful and stays on your hands so I suggest using gloves.

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/meguiars-ultimate-all-wheel-cleaner-g180124-24-oz-spray

(note if you try to use the eagle one product, make sure it is the plasticoat one that says "color changing" on the bottle as their other wheel cleaners all look the same but won't be as good)
https://www.eagleone.com/black-plasti-coat-wheel-cleaner-23oz

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just to add, once you get the surface all cleaned up to your satisfaction, a ceramic coat or ceramic wax spray will help make the next subsequent washes extremely easy.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another vote for some sort of iron remover. Ebatr24 is spot on (pardon the pun).

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So although I'm fine ordering product today, I'm also going to wash my car later today and won't be able to use whatever.

However, I do use this Auto Fanatic Wheel Cleaner. Isn't this supposed to remove that stuff as well?

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That Auto Fanatic does not have the iron binding\neutralizing component that we are referring to. It also explains why you still see the iron particles after you wash the wheel. ;o)

Derek.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That Auto Fanatic does not have the iron binding\neutralizing component that we are referring to. It also explains why you still see the iron particles after you wash the wheel. ;o)
This is correct. The product description for that Auto Fanatic stuff is pretty funny, they state that the product doesn't contain any blah blah blah, yet they're excluding the necessary ingredients to actually make it effective. Proper wheel cleaners should be pH balanced so that it does not negatively affect the finish.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The only non "iron remover" wheel cleaners that I have found to be really effective is the Chemical guys Citrus and Diablo wheel cleaners found at autozone or advanced auto. They are more effective at dirt and normal brake dust though, what you've got is rusty iron particles. Go out and buy the meguiars it should take care of your problem and you can find it at your local autozone.
Sponsored