Best way to ship exhaust?

SwagSwaggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm talking with a guy in Oklahoma selling an r400. Neither he nor I have experience with shipping exhausts. Which carrier and packaging is best? I suggested bubble wrapping with some cardboard using UPS. Can anyone give me/him some advice?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
You can bring in into a ups store, or fedex and they’ll give you a quote for different shipping methods.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Have one of the shipping stores (UPS/FedEx) pack it and insure it. That way they are responsible for it arriving in good shape and can't say it was packed wrong.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I shipped 2 exhausts with fedex. 2 full exhausts. My neighbor works for ups and even with his discount he still uses fedex as they are cheaper. USPS wont ship it at all die to size of box. Both of mine shipped form NC to Kansas and the other to Texas were both about 120-130ish to ship at that time. I wrapped each piece in bubble wrap and then a piece of cardboard and taped it. then i got a wardrobe box from home depot they are and 2 foot by 2 foot sq and about 5 feet long. I put all the pieces in the box each individually wrapped and then filled the voids with newspaper as it is light. I then taped it all up with reinforced packing tape you can also get at home depot.

Do not I repeat do not take these to a pack and ship place as they are there to make money and charge above what you can get yourself at home. I just made an account and printed my label at home its the cheapest way. There is also a way to cheat the system if you wanna give it a shot may or may not work but it worked both times for me. On fedex web site where t says to put in box size it says optional. do not fill that it and you will get a shipping rate based on weight and its way cheaper. mine was like 35 bucks. BUT they will back charge you the size later. about a week after you ship you will get an email saying you been charged the size difference. which is about 120 in total. but..... I called them and said well if size mattered(insert joke lol) it should not be an optional field to fill in, it said optional so i didn't fill it in. so how can you charge me for a optional thing? they both times refunded my costs and my total shipping on a exhaust was 35ish dollars. your mileage will vary.

Exhausts cost bucks to ship and are difficult and why people wont ship them. but if you are wiling to work it you may be able to do it cheaper. but i would count on 120 ish to ship it plus packing material costs.

OP
OP

SwagSwaggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thank you all! Unfortunately the seller was quoted about 300 for UPS ground and FedEx... Apparently even with the R400 disassembled, the mid section of the exhaust is causing the price to double. I would have to add a bit more but at that price, I could just end up getting a brand new exhaust (which I can but it'd be nice to save a few hundred bucks). If anyone can provide feedback, that would be appreciated.
Sponsored