Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats?

gt58

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sedan, 2004 STi
Country flag
About to install my amplifier and LC2i to the back of my rear seats. I'm wondering what's the best way to do this? is it just stamped metal? would self tappers work okay?

thanks in advance for your tips and tricks!!
Sponsored

redder04

First Name
Redder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Watching this.. I need to mount my amp too BUT, I have touring so rear heated seats scares me.

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
1/4 or 3/8 MDF or plastic, cut to rough size, split the seat cover on the bottom and slide it in.

Even better is to not mount them there. There's nothing wrong with it if you don't flip the seats down a lot but if you do then under the seats is better, assuming it'll fit.

OP
OP
gt58

gt58

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1/4 or 3/8 MDF or plastic, cut to rough size, split the seat cover on the bottom and slide it in.

Even better is to not mount them there. There's nothing wrong with it if you don't flip the seats down a lot but if you do then under the seats is better, assuming it'll fit.

thanks for the reply. the amp definitely wont fit under my seats. as for the amp mounting, I was cautious of the weight of the amp that would just be held on by the 4 screws and might tear the carpet/fabric material over time if I left the seat in the upright position. essentially sandwiching the fabric material with a thinner piece of wood/plastic and the amp. i suppose i could put more screws holding the board to the fabric. hmmmm has anyone else mounted it this way or have any other suggestions? im definitely open to hearing them all. also dont like the idea of mounting the amp to the sub box for vibration issues.

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
also dont like the idea of mounting the amp to the sub box for vibration issues.
Vibration and if you need to remove the box it's isn't a simple if there are amp wires attached.

Depending on the size/weight of the amp you can also sandwich to the side carpets in the trunk or put it under the cargo floor by cutting the Styrofoam.

SATX_Si

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
gt58,
Long time lurker on the Audio and Nav section here, and registered for an account so I could respond to your post. I just mounted an LC2i and JL 250/1 to the back of my Si Sedan's 60/40 seat taking cues from the Five Star Car Stereo guys.

I screwed a 1/2" plywood board to the seat using rivet nuts then screwed the audio components to that board. To do this, I popped the fabric off the seatback to expose the metal seat back, drilled 6 holes that lined up with the same holes on my board, installed six M5 rivet nuts, closed the fabric back up, lined up the board, used a nail to poke holes through the carpet, and then tightened the board down with M5 screws. I recommend using rivet nuts since the metal under the seatback carpet is quite thin, and might not hold a screw too well. Also, who wants a sharp screw jabbing them in the back when they sit in that seat?
Pics attached, but I didn't get any pics of the rivet nut installation. Hope this helps.

-Matt

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? IMG_20210421_144254290

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? IMG_20210421_153123374

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? IMG_20210421_162039151

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? IMG_20210422_170151522

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? IMG_20210422_180617875

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? IMG_20210422_180801722

OP
OP
gt58

gt58

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
gt58,
Long time lurker on the Audio and Nav section here, and registered for an account so I could respond to your post. I just mounted an LC2i and JL 250/1 to the back of my Si Sedan's 60/40 seat taking cues from the Five Star Car Stereo guys.

I screwed a 1/2" plywood board to the seat using rivet nuts then screwed the audio components to that board. To do this, I popped the fabric off the seatback to expose the metal seat back, drilled 6 holes that lined up with the same holes on my board, installed six M5 rivet nuts, closed the fabric back up, lined up the board, used a nail to poke holes through the carpet, and then tightened the board down with M5 screws. I recommend using rivet nuts since the metal under the seatback carpet is quite thin, and might not hold a screw too well. Also, who wants a sharp screw jabbing them in the back when they sit in that seat?
Pics attached, but I didn't get any pics of the rivet nut installation. Hope this helps.

-Matt

IMG_20210421_144254290.jpg

IMG_20210421_153123374.jpg

IMG_20210421_162039151.jpg

IMG_20210422_170151522.jpg

IMG_20210422_180617875.jpg

IMG_20210422_180801722.jpg

dude, Matt, thank you so much for making an account to respond! i'll likely be taking this approach. looks very clean!!

one question for you: to expose the metal seat back, are there just those little push clips attached to the back fabric that just pop in or how does that work?

now I finally have a reason to buy a riv nut tool that i've always wanted LOL

SATX_Si

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
You are very welcome! The larger seatback carpet is held on by two plastic push rivets on the right side, and interlocking plastic grooves along the bottom and left side. I just squeezed those together to get them to snap apart. Once you get the seatback out of the car it's fairly easy to open up the carpet. Have fun with your install, man!

I posted a thread on my install here:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-lc2i-power-ground-signal-wire-install.63211/

OP
OP
gt58

gt58

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
made some great progress and took some pictures along the way. i'll be sure to post all that up after I get it squared away 100%. right now im just dealing with amp/lc2i placement on the board. place it too low and the angle for the power wire is not ideal. im using 4ga so its pretty tight against the board and bottom floor bump/hump frame part. place the amp too high and it sticks out too far so that the sub box hits it when pushed all the way back. I used some left over baltic birch for my amp rack and it looks pretty good but i might need to make another piece because ive already moved my amp and lc2i twice lol. the sub box is currently hitting on the lc2i when its pushed all the way back so i think i'll need to make my board wider and put the lc2i on the lower right of the amp where there is more room.

a few teaser pics:

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? 2

Honda Civic 10th gen Best way to mount heavy-ish amplifier to back of rear seats? 3

SATX_Si

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Sedan
Country flag
Looking good!
Sponsored