best way to lift the car for forward cross pattern rotation?

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im doing my first oil change and tire rotations soon..
5k miles at 40% life waiting till 15%
To do the appropriate tire rotation(fronts to back crossed) I'll need to jack up the entire car.

I have ramps and im planning to purchase a jack w/ stands.

best way to lift the car for back to front flipped rotation?

any recommendations, also rgonna buy an impact driver
Sponsored

Last edited:

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I don't use my jack when my car is on ramps. I supposed you could do it, I prefer not to.
Tire rotation is from rear to front (or vise versa) I jack the front wheel and put a stand and jack the rear wheel, I do one side at a time.
My ramps and my air jack

Honda Civic 10th gen best way to lift the car for forward cross pattern rotation? Air Jack.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen best way to lift the car for forward cross pattern rotation? Ramps.JPG

OP
OP
Crakzor

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't use my jack when my car is on ramps. I supposed you could do it, I prefer not to.
Tire rotation is from rear to front (or vise versa) I jack the front wheel and put a stand and jack the rear wheel, I do one side at a time.
My ramps and my air jack

Air Jack.JPG

Ramps.JPG
i thought for our cars it's front to back crossed

edit sorry ya it depends on tires.

Last edited:

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Im doing my first oil change and tire rotations soon..
5k miles at 40% life waiting till 15%
To do the appropriate tire rotation(fronts to back crossed) I'll need to jack up the entire car.

I have ramps and im planning to purchase a jack w/ stands.

Is it ok to use ramp w/ rear jack & stands?

any recommendations, also rgonna buy an impact driver
Jack stands in the front will raise the side of the vehicle with enough clearance to rotate the front and rear tires, as recommended in the manual. Shown here is a jack stand lifting the driver’s side.

Of note, I am using the SafeJack, which allows me to use the floor jack and then employ the “legs” of the stand. If you do not have one of these and have the conventional stands, then you can raise the rear side of the vehicle first, and place the jack stand in the front when you have created enough clearance.

Honda Civic 10th gen best way to lift the car for forward cross pattern rotation? NGxY1o

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just use a spare tire and a hydraulic jack.
Start by removing one of the front wheels and replace it with the spare. Using the forward cross pattern, you will end up back to the spare with the new wheel for that spot.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
You might not want to cross them just go straight front to back. If you cross them they might be rotating in the wrong direction. depending on what tires you have.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
i thought for our cars it's front to back crossed
That's the pattern I used because the stock conti's on my 2018 aren't unidirectional. Backs to the front & crossed the fronts to the rear.

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I like to work in total comfort, so I just lift the whole car up on four jack stands and then I just deal with wheels. No big deal.

I use two hydraulic floor jacks under the front and the back jack points to lift the car.

I lift the front, lower the car on the front jack stands, then lift the back and lower it on the rear stands.
Of course this can be done with just one hydraulic floor jack, but as I said I like it easy and safe, so I use two. This way, I don't need to waste time to reposition the jack again under the front point to lower the car. It just waits there coupled with the front jack point, still supporting partly the front.

I made small extremely sturdy mini wood ramps with a stop that serve me to just lift the car enough (2 2x12 boards, just ~3" of lift) to comfortably slide the floor jack under the front jack point. Of course just a board may be enough to do that, but, as I mentioned already, I like nice and easy. Three inches of lift is just enough to precisely position the jack with a mirror and avoid damaging the under body.

(Btw. I weigh my wheels to see how much rubber is gone and how evenly they wear)
(Btw. you don't need an impact driver for this, unless you really want to own one. I prefer to protect my nuts. But a torque wrench is always good to own.)

Last edited:

jarvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si Sedan
Country flag
Since mine doesen't come with a spare wheel, I saw a video on how to do a tire rotation (non-directional) using a jack and 2 jack stands only. Im gonna use this method for my next tire rotation:

1. Put the two jack stands on the left side (on the two jack points on the side of the vehicle)
2. Switch the rear-left and front-left wheels
3. Remove the jack stands and put the two jack stands on the right side
4. Switch the rear-right and front-right wheels
5. Remove the jack stands and put the jack stands on the front
6. Switch the front-left and front-right wheels

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hmm most of the people above are making it more complicated than it should be. 3 Things you’ll need: Hydraulic Jack that can lift pretty high, 2 jack stands.

1) Bring hydraulic jack to rear of vehicle in the center there is a jack point lift there.
2) Lift decently high then both your rear tires should be lifted. Place jack stands on each side of your car on the rear jack points.
3) Lower hydraulic jack, the rears should still be lifted up by your jack stands.
4) Bring your hydraulic jack to front driver side and lift at jack point.
5) Once lifted you can swap the front driver with the rear right side now.
6) rinse and repeat with front passenger side.

Done!

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Since mine doesen't come with a spare wheel, I saw a video on how to do a tire rotation (non-directional) using a jack and 2 jack stands only. Im gonna use this method for my next tire rotation:

1. Put the two jack stands on the left side (on the two jack points on the side of the vehicle)
2. Switch the rear-left and front-left wheels
3. Remove the jack stands and put the two jack stands on the right side
4. Switch the rear-right and front-right wheels
5. Remove the jack stands and put the jack stands on the front
6. Switch the front-left and front-right wheels
Personally, using this method, I wouldn't bother with jack stands when lifting one side at a time. As long as you aren't putting any body part under the car, you aren't putting yourself in danger. Yes, I realize the floor jack could fail and the car could drop onto the rotors.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
If you are not too particular about bending something a little, you can do it this way with one floor jack and two jack stands, following the Tool Dude Tony. You could even use the cheap scissor jack included with the car instead of a floor jack.

The problem is that at least with the civic, you can't really put a jack and the jack stand side by side on the same jack point. You would be outside the jack point potentially damaging the pinch weld. Which may be fine for many people, especially if it's not your car, but some others may be unsettled. So people use pinch weld adapters maybe in the form of hockey pucks with a groove, but it has to have the right dimensions or you could dent the rocker panel.....

https://www.optimaforums.com/threads/dealer-bent-my-pinch-weld-any-recourse.138393/
Sponsored