Best USB Audio Device

sk8almost44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Touring
Country flag
iPod classic -
The stuttering is an easy temp fix, switch to another source and go back to iPod source.
The issues I'm having:
.Music not resuming where it left off before I turned the car on (starts over from very beginning of the iPod)
.Music not starting at all unless I press 'next'
.ipod freezing after 4-7 songs (using playlists w/ 100+ songs)
Found an old 8GB Flash drive I'm going to use till an update comes out resolving all this issues with the iPod classic.
Sponsored

jaboop35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
I had my iPod plugged in for the first time today. Everything worked fine but then when I went to disconnect, I just pulled out the iPod and then it came up with no device connected. When I went to switch back to Sirius, it sort of froze, and I couldn't even turn off the unit. Had to restart the car and it took a while for it to boot up, but then when it did it was fine. Has anyone else seen this happen to them? Is there something I should do before disconnecting ipod/iPhone?

kalin21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
with all this problems would be possible to install an aftermarket sound system without losing the rear camera feature? that's the only thing I will miss if I do..

David

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring (Lunar Silver)
Before I go doing a lot of experimenting, has anyone figured out what the requirements are for getting album art to display when playing from a USB flash drive? The manual clearly indicates it's possible in the screenshots, but doesn't say what it's looking for. What I've got right now is a "folder.jpg" file in each directory, which is something many players support, but that doesn't seem to work at all.

Does it expect that every file has album art embedded in the ID3 tags? Or is it looking for a different per-directory filename?

OP
OP
2016TouringSLC

2016TouringSLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My guess is that it is looking for embedded art. I just dragged files from iTunes to the USB drive and most of the time the album art appears on the Infotainment screen.

toccata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L
I am using a 4th generation ipod Touch. I also observed the scratching/stuttering sound and it appears to coincide during the first few seconds of track play when the album art is being retrieved. Once the album art is loaded the scratching sound goes away... most of the time. But this doesn't happen on all tracks or with all albums. And sometimes the scratching or delayed album art display is not as bad from track to track or album to album. This leads me to suspect that large file size of album art images is the culprit (some of my image files are closer to 1 MB, but ideally they should probably all be under 100 or 200 KB). I've only had my Civic for less than a week, though, so this is just my impression until further investigation.

Also, album art did not appear for me when I tried a USB thumb drive. The tracks were taken directly from iTunes, just as they are for my iPod. But again, that could use more investigation.

epmes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Album art in the ID3 tags works fine. At some point I used a third-party utility (or maybe just the Zune player, come to think of it) to add metadata to my ripped CDs. Besides a minute-long pause before I can do anything--presumably while it's ingesting songs from the USB stick--it seems to work fine, though the interface for USB is bare-bones.

Deleted member 3091

Does anyone know if you used a external CD player that was usb would that work with the radio?

amypiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX, Soon EX-T
Ok I read through this entire thread and just want to some clarification/affirmation if you don't mind...

I'm getting an EX-T before the end of the weekend.

I'm considering the USB flash drive route for music.

Can it only be played via the front USB port? If so, what no longer works as far as the iPhone goes? I'd hate to have to choose between music and iPhone/infotainment functions. Any clarity?

Thanks for the help!

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I use a 128GB Lexar USB thumb drive in the console port. Within the limitations of the infotainment and its bugs, it seems to work fine.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I just bought an ipod nano and so far I've got a hundred songs on it converted from CD to WAV file and it works perfectly whether I use a USB cord or bluetooth. And the sound quality is awesome. At first I converted to MP3 but the sound quality was shitty. In uncompressed WAV it sounds like serious hifi.Only drawback is it'll only hold maybe 400 songs in WAV. It would have held 4000 in MP3, but I can't stand the way they sound.

Last edited:

Florida_Frank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L; 2014 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I just bought an ipod nano and so far I've got a hundred songs on it converted from CD to WAV file and it works perfectly whether I use a USB cord or bluetooth. And the sound quality is awesome. At first I converted to MP3 but the sound quality was shitty. In uncompressed WAV it sounds like serious hifi.Only drawback is it'll only hold maybe 400 songs in WAV. It would have held 4000 in MP3, but I can't stand the way they sound.
I used ITunes to rip my CDs to MP3s. Instead of using the default setting of 128 KBPS, I used the highest setting of 192 KBPS. I've been satisfied with that sound quality. You get about 3,000 songs per 16GB storage.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Did you try Apple lossless(ALAC)? From what I've read it's the best compromise between quality and storage space. I'm an audiophile so I'm pretty anal about SQ. I first ripped my CD's to 320kbs AAC, but I wasn't sure if iTunes supported that or if it just defaulted to 192kbs.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who in the world would need a 128GB drive? I have a crazy amount of music on my 16GB, and it's still got lots of room left.
Sponsored