best trim model for civic hatch (minus type r)

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
hey everyone! ive been around on this forum since 2019 something when i bought my si coupe! (no longer have sadly) so i know a good deal about the si side but i dont know much about the hatchback. a friend of mine is looking to get a new car and liked the looks of my coupe but wants a hatchback so they have more room for stuff. what trim model do you all think is best in todays market to go for? i was thinking ex is a good middle ground since you can still get them for high teens to mid 20s depending on miles and options. i know some newer 11th gens can be had for this as well but i dont think he likes the 11th gen style haha.

thanks for any and all info!
Sponsored

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I like my ā€˜21 Sport Hatch quite a bit. I think whatever trim your friend wants that makes sense for the budget, but keep in mind that the mid-generation update added a lot of nice features to the sport trim that didnā€™t have it before (I think it was 2020+), like leather interior bits, Honda sensing, and nicer head unit. Basically makes it an EX-lite with 18ā€ wheels.

Also depends on if they want a manual transmission; might be easier to find one in the sport/sport touring trims.

OP
OP
rhino

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like my ā€˜21 Sport Hatch quite a bit. I think whatever trim your friend wants that makes sense for the budget, but keep in mind that the mid-generation update added a lot of nice features to the sport trim that didnā€™t have it before (I think it was 2020+), like leather interior bits, Honda sensing, and nicer head unit. Basically makes it an EX-lite with 18ā€ wheels.

Also depends on if they want a manual transmission; might be easier to find one in the sport/sport touring trims.
very good points i forgot about the mid year update with some features i will have to let him know on that one! i did ask if he wanted a manual or not and he said he likes manual but its not something he truly wants (not a car person lol so he bugs me for help usually)

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
2019+ sport hatchback. Larger screen head unit. But cloth seats. Saves 2-3k over a sport touring. But still have the turbo engine.

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I personally would go with the 6 speed Sport Touring hatch. I'd rather have the leather seats, I get really hot sitting on the cloth seats, plus the heated seats when its cold or Im on a road trip somewhere cold is great.

OP
OP
rhino

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally would go with the 6 speed Sport Touring hatch. I'd rather have the leather seats, I get really hot sitting on the cloth seats, plus the heated seats when its cold or Im on a road trip somewhere cold is great.
Friend would prefer auto or Iā€™d say get the 6speed and tbh idk if he likes cloth or leather but me personally I hate leather

OP
OP
rhino

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2019+ sport hatchback. Larger screen head unit. But cloth seats. Saves 2-3k over a sport touring. But still have the turbo engine.
Ahh interesting thanks!

Longislandcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 hatchback
Country flag
Pre update barebone manual sport hatch is the lightest. If you care for that sorta thing.

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally like the 2018 hatch sport. I was looking into the 2019's when I was shopping around and I didn't want to deal with the Honda sensing and turning off the stupid collision mitigation braking system (CMBS) on each start. Yes, I was reading the owners manual before I even shopped for the car šŸ˜‚

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I personally like the 2018 hatch sport. I was looking into the 2019's when I was shopping around and I didn't want to deal with the Honda sensing and turning off the stupid collision mitigation braking system (CMBS) on each start. Yes, I was reading the owners manual before I even shopped for the car šŸ˜‚
When I first got the car, I had a few false activations of the CBMS, but it never applied the brakes, just the warning popped up. I turned the sensitivity to the lowest setting and havenā€™t had a false alarm since.

IMO, I think itā€™s good to have since it could mitigate the severity of an accident by reacting faster than you could in terms of braking. I still want it to do its thing if a collision is truly unavoidable.

Anyway, the other features of Honda Sensing are pretty dang good. Lane keep assist works nicely on any reasonably marked highway, and adaptive cruise control works well too (although since I have a manual, I turned it off for obvious reasons). There are lots of settings to tune them if anything doesnā€™t work quite how you want it, so itā€™s worth playing around with those before dismissing all of those features as bad.

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I first got the car, I had a few false activations of the CBMS, but it never applied the brakes, just the warning popped up. I turned the sensitivity to the lowest setting and havenā€™t had a false alarm since.

IMO, I think itā€™s good to have since it could mitigate the severity of an accident by reacting faster than you could in terms of braking.

Anyway, the other features of Honda Sensing are pretty dang good. Lane keep assist works nicely on any reasonably marked highway, and adaptive cruise control works well too (although since I have a manual, I turned it off for obvious reasons). There are lots of settings to tune them if anything doesnā€™t work quite how you want it, so itā€™s worth playing around with those before dismissing all of those features as bad.
I respect it šŸ‘†. I think it's more of a personal long term concern when it came to false alarms or if the Honda sensing failed for some reason and considering the cost of replacement; less electronics hence the preference of the 2018 model year.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 2020+ Sport Hatch is the best hatch.

I own a 2019 Sport and a 2018 Sport.

The 2019 is better than the 18 because it added sensing and LCD digital dash. The 2020 added even more stuff like pleather armrests, Touchscreen infotainment, Push to start, and pleather seat inserts. It also has the newer wheel style and fake vent tweaks. (I prefer the older wheels tho)

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
What is the obvious reason you're not using adaptive cc on your manual? I've been using mine for 120k km and I love it, it doesn't turn off when you're up or downshifting and works remarkably well. I could do away with some of the other sensing bits but adaptive cc is going to be hard not to have on my next vehicle.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What is the obvious reason you're not using adaptive cc on your manual? I've been using mine for 120k km and I love it, it doesn't turn off when you're up or downshifting and works remarkably well. I could do away with some of the other sensing bits but adaptive cc is going to be hard not to have on my next vehicle.
1. ACC would often unnecessarily brake - for example, if there was a car in front taking an exit off the highway, due to their relative speed changing as well as the sensors still ā€œbelievingā€ that the car was in front even though it had clearly made it into the exit lane, ACC would brake. As a human, I would have understood that I didnā€™t need to brake. This often led to:

2. ACC afterward trying to ACCELERATE in 6th gear to get back up to the set speed. That didnā€™t sit well with me. Even if it could be quickly canceled, if I have to actively supervise the ACCā€™s throttle input, I might as well use ā€œnormalā€ cruise control.

So overall, ACC has some ā€œbugsā€ that donā€™t really jive well with a manual transmission, so Iā€™d rather just use ā€œnormalā€ cruise control and pay a little more attention, and not be caught off-guard.

I never had ACC until this car anyway, so I was used to not having it beforehand.

OP
OP
rhino

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
welp the hatch my buddy was lookin to buy got sold so he ended up getting a 2019 sport sedan in Aegean blue he seems to be happy with it so thanks for all the information everyone
Sponsored