Best projector setup?

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Curious about feedback on this issue. I currently have some quality drop in LEDs which were an improvement over the stock halogens but the output distance is pretty poor. I'm strongly looking at options for a projector setup and want to know what the consensus is that's best.

TRS has a pricey kit that I considered but the feedback on the quality hasn't been amazing.

Spyder has a new projector replacement setup that I love, but apparently HIDs or LEDs void the warranty.

Anyone out there running the Spyder headlights with the sequential turn signals? And doing so with HIDs? I'm not particularly concerned about the warranty besides the fact that the housing plastics may not withstand the heat produced by HIDs.

What, in your opinion, provides the best output, projection distance and cut off? Having difficulty finding a consensus on this matter, so any and all feedback is appreciated!
Sponsored

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A custom retrofit can't be beat assuming you use some nice big projectors, but otherwise I think the TRS mini H1 kit, a quick retrofit kit with little to no fabrication needed is the next best solution.

And this is all assuming HIDs are used, they're better than the rest. My .02

EspadaTiburon

First Name
Harlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I would go with HIDs. I just switched out my stock halogens with HIDs and the throw distance is incredible on them, even with the stock projector.
If you want to go with a retrofit, then I would do retrofit HIDs.

OP
OP
Tw1tcHy

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I would go with HIDs. I just switched out my stock halogens with HIDs and the throw distance is incredible on them, even with the stock projector.
If you want to go with a retrofit, then I would do retrofit HIDs.
It's a shame because I enjoy my LEDs but ultimately I believe form follows function and HIDs seem to be the best solution for that. Maybe in a few years LEDs will get there, but not yet. Are you planning to do a retrofit at some point?

A custom retrofit can't be beat assuming you use some nice big projectors, but otherwise I think the TRS mini H1 kit, a quick retrofit kit with little to no fabrication needed is the next best solution.

And this is all assuming HIDs are used, they're better than the rest. My .02
Well a retrofit seems to be on the menu for me then. Not really thrilled at the prospect of baking my headlights but it is what it is I suppose. Besides the TRS Retro kit, what other projectors would you have in mind for the best performance? I assumed their kit was the best option since I see it touted so much and Morimoto is highly regarded. I'd only like to do this once and I was excited at the prospect of not needing to do the retrofit myself and just using the Spyder headlights, but they don't seem to stand behind LED or HID use and I have no idea what projector they're using in their headlights. No word back from them either when I emailed :/

EspadaTiburon

First Name
Harlan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It's a shame because I enjoy my LEDs but ultimately I believe form follows function and HIDs seem to be the best solution for that. Maybe in a few years LEDs will get there, but not yet. Are you planning to do a retrofit at some point?
No I'm not. I live in Los Angeles and haven't had that many issues with lighting at night since I mostly visit urban areas. With the halogens, I couldn't tell when it was on, which is why I switched to HIDs. They're enough for me atm. I would probably try switching and if they're not enough, then retrofit

OP
OP
Tw1tcHy

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
No I'm not. I live in Los Angeles and haven't had that many issues with lighting at night since I mostly visit urban areas. With the halogens, I couldn't tell when it was on, which is why I switched to HIDs. They're enough for me atm. I would probably try switching and if they're not enough, then retrofit
Ah makes sense. I used to live in California as well so I know what you mean about it not being as necessary. Unfortunately now that I'm in Texas I encounter some rather rural areas much more often than I did many years ago haha. I am tempted to just do the HIDs first but I'm concerned about the stock projector scatting the beam and blinding other drivers. Decisions decisions... I'd definitely like to get some input about which projectors are considered the best ones

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know for certain which projector is the best but what comes to mind is a Lexus projector probably from ls430, or maybe some s2k projectors.

OP
OP
Tw1tcHy

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I don't know for certain which projector is the best but what comes to mind is a Lexus projector probably from ls430, or maybe some s2k projectors.
Those are two I've seen mentioned as being top tier as well. However, may be a bit overkill for what I need. I am somewhat considering the Morimoto Retroquik kit, but the Mini D2S 5.0 projectors seem to be the step up above those and allow for a broader selection of bulbs as well. Any input on those projectors? Trying to find more members on here who have successully done the retrofit but I'm unfortunately finding few pertinent threads :\

iShift_6

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
Having had S2K projectors on my last car, 9th Gen Civic, they were my favorite HID setup.
Followed very closely by a 1st Gen TSX retrofit that I had on my RSX. The width and cutoff were fantastic on both.

On this Civic, it's been it or miss. I am currently about to install my "Mk.4" retrofit.
I have only done LED projector retrofits, as the harnesses with HID setups just feels "old" at this time.

That said, what I have tried:
Koito Bi-LED from a Prius(broke one of the lens holders while installed(no idea) and a total pain to make fit in the back housing)
Osram Driving LED(Fantastic cutoff color, horrible width, needed custom back caps to clear the fan)
Profile Bi-LED 2.0(Great all around color/width/intensity, same housing issues as the Koito luckily I got to reuse those housings)(hit a deer and destroyed the housings with the Profiles installed. The projectors were fine, but an excuse for trying the next ones)
Morimoto M-LED 2.0(About to go in so I can't speak all around but, color and width appear better than the Profile on my test wall and fit in the stock back housings no modification needed)

All that said, they all did require custom brackets to work in the Civic housing. And a little trimming of the chrome frame that they mount to.
If you're interested I can try to get some comparison photos.....

OP
OP
Tw1tcHy

Tw1tcHy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Having had S2K projectors on my last car, 9th Gen Civic, they were my favorite HID setup.
Followed very closely by a 1st Gen TSX retrofit that I had on my RSX. The width and cutoff were fantastic on both.

On this Civic, it's been it or miss. I am currently about to install my "Mk.4" retrofit.
I have only done LED projector retrofits, as the harnesses with HID setups just feels "old" at this time.

That said, what I have tried:
Koito Bi-LED from a Prius(broke one of the lens holders while installed(no idea) and a total pain to make fit in the back housing)
Osram Driving LED(Fantastic cutoff color, horrible width, needed custom back caps to clear the fan)
Profile Bi-LED 2.0(Great all around color/width/intensity, same housing issues as the Koito luckily I got to reuse those housings)(hit a deer and destroyed the housings with the Profiles installed. The projectors were fine, but an excuse for trying the next ones)
Morimoto M-LED 2.0(About to go in so I can't speak all around but, color and width appear better than the Profile on my test wall and fit in the stock back housings no modification needed)

All that said, they all did require custom brackets to work in the Civic housing. And a little trimming of the chrome frame that they mount to.
If you're interested I can try to get some comparison photos.....
Now this was some good info! I'm definitely interested in the comparison photos.

I've also seen S2K projectors lauded a basically the Gold Standard a number of times at this point. Makes me wish I could see some in person to really know what all of the fuss is about haha!

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Last edited:

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Seacow

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Why is your step bigger then that truck? lol
I totally had to check this out myself! I have the Mini H1 (Morimoto 5500k bulb) Retroquik installed and went for a drive earlier tonight, it looks like the car is stopped on a slight incline. Maybe? The step in my retrofit isn’t that pronounced. I could be wrong completely as I got bad eyes anyway lol

For output I would have to go with @Rone811, Mini D2S > Mini H1, however mini H1 is easier to retrofit if it’s your first time as there’s minimal fabricating involved. Just some slight trimming behind the shroud to flush the bracket.

If you want to retrofit on a budget, Maxima projectors are a direct fit with minimal cutting also, a plus is that they are D2S, only the cutoff isn’t as sharp as the other options based on personal experience.

Honda Civic 10th gen Best projector setup? 5B6B3F7B-6237-46EB-9986-3A263B9619CA

Last edited: