Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
FWIW:

1) Phillips Shield and Kendall are both owned by Phillips Petroleum
2) Penzoil and Quaker State are both owned by Royal Dutch Shell
3) Castol is owned by BP (British Petroleum)

These guys here https://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer...-what-consumer-reports-concluded-a-decade-ago concluded basically:

Blackstone labs .... The answer is... they're all interchangeable so long as they meet the oil weight and certifications for your vehicle. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Valvoline, even the discounted brands such as Walmart's Supertech and Peak will not wear your engine out any quicker than any other brand that meets the basic standards for your vehicle.
So.. Pick the one you like, that your friend likes, that your Dad used.. or just the on that's on sale.. Just make sure it meets the manufacturers specifications
Sponsored

Brian17Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I now am using official Honda FULL synthetic oil you can buy from the dealership. I feel 100% it’s the best oil to use coming from Mobil 1.

Last edited:

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
The oil olympics, top 4 bracket now. Skip to 9:18 to see the whole chart. I think Amsoil will win.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Quaker state 0-20 all the way it's rated #5 of wear protection on rat rod blog and it's a difference on any other oil I have ran it stays clean and engine runs quiter

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
As long as it’s a full synthetic oil and a decent filter you should be fine. I use Honda oil and filter. Can’t go wrong with that lol
Honda Civic 10th gen Best Oil and Why ?! 188DF205-6D45-4D65-8312-538090909957

bumbobee

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Quaker state 0-20 all the way it's rated #5 of wear protection on rat rod blog and it's a difference on any other oil I have ran it stays clean and engine runs quiter
You got a link with some tests and comparisons? Quake State didn't make it to top 4 in that project farm test.

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
just got my Oil analysisA back using Amsoil SS 0w-20 during Northern Winter use (DEC-May). Oil dilution was at 2.8% BUT it did not cause the oil to lose it's viscosity. I'll be posting the OA on the stickied thread soon.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
just got my Oil analysisA back using Amsoil SS 0w-20 during Northern Winter use (DEC-May). Oil dilution was at 2.8% BUT it did not cause the oil to lose it's viscosity. I'll be posting the OA on the stickied thread soon.
Why would anyone even fear that 2.8% dilution with fuel could cause the oil to lose any relevant amount of viscosity? If you had 28% dilution.....you should start to worry.
The loss of viscosity would be approximately proportional to the fraction of fuel. Oils of the same weight, different brands, straight from the bottle, may differ more in their actual hot viscosities than 2.8%. So a loss of viscosity in the order of several per cent is irrelevant.

Then people often repeat how important the Noack number is for turbo engines. The effect of high Noack is excessive evaporation of the light fraction of oil, resulting in increased viscosity of the used oil. But in DI engines with some oil dilution by fuel, there is very little risk of oil ending up too viscous. Evaporation of some light components of the oil is balanced by admixture of some heavier components of gasoline. So the Noack number, as it is measured, is not so relevant at all for the 1.5T engine. Maybe you should worry about Noack if you have a turbo diesel.

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Why would anyone even fear that 2.8% dilution with fuel could cause the oil to lose any relevant amount of viscosity? If you had 28% dilution.....you should start to worry.
The loss of viscosity would be approximately proportional to the fraction of fuel. Oils of the same weight, different brands, straight from the bottle, may differ more in their actual hot viscosities than 2.8%. So a loss of viscosity in the order of several per cent is irrelevant.

Then people often repeat how important the Noack number is for turbo engines. The effect of high Noack is excessive evaporation of the light fraction of oil, resulting in increased viscosity of the used oil. But in DI engines with some oil dilution by fuel, there is very little risk of oil ending up too viscous. Evaporation of some light components of the oil is balanced by admixture of some heavier components of gasoline. So the Noack number, as it is measured, is not so relevant at all for the 1.5T engine. Maybe you should worry about Noack if you have a turbo diesel.
who said anyone got spooked out?

Also, I went away with Amsoil and poured in Pennzoil for this summer. Will also use pennzoil for the winter as well, let's see how it does.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
You're absolutely more than safe with Amsoil SS 5W-30, or even Amsoil SS 0W-20... They in fact offer the best possible protection.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA

-Wear Protection Ranking List

2. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi

The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification. And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.

This oil was tested Fall 2017. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from “ANY” motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. And this is further proof that you do NOT need heavy thick viscosity to provide such impressive wear protection.

As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level.

3. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,352 psi

The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification (though it does say that claim is in reference to their 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series synthetic). And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.

This oil was tested Fall 2017.
The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from any 5W30 motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. This oil could well be “THE MOTOR OIL OF CHOICE” for most High HP engines, including Bad Boy traditional American flat tappet pushrod engines, or for virtually any engine where 5W30 is used.

And I also went on to test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. This oil had only a modest 7% drop in capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, it produced an impressive 124,573 psi, which still kept this much hotter and thinner oil in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

In addition, I also tested this oil at 130*F, which is an oil temperature in the middle of the range of the Sequence IVA Wear Test (ASTM D6891) = 123,882 psi, which still had it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category, even though this value is about an 8% drop from the normal 230*F test temperature’s psi value. NOTE: An engine warming up, will transition right past this temperature as it heats up to its normal operating temperature.

So, here are the three temperatures I tested this oil at, put together for easy comparison:
130*F = 123,882 psi
230*F = 134,352 psi
275*F = 124,573 psi
As you can see, there is no meaningful difference between these three psi values, and as mentioned above, all three psi values are in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category. So, none of these temperatures had any negative affect on the oil’s wear protection capability.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was 295*F.

As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level.

Here’s a June 2018 Testimonial regarding Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series oil, sent by a Blog reader from Greece, which proved ONCE AGAIN that my motor oil Engineering Test Data “EXACTLY MATCHES” real world racing experience, as I have always said. It also proves ONCE AGAIN, that all my critics are DEAD WRONG, and have no idea what they are talking about, regarding motor oil and its performance capabilities. If you want the FACTS about motor oil, you need to read this Blog.

For reference below, Amsoil 10W30 Dominator Racing oil, produced a far lower 97,118psi, in my testing. The higher the psi value an oil can produce, the better the wear protection. Here is what he said in his Testimonial:

Hi (again) 540 Rat,

I’ve seen several times, as a Rally spectator ‘n’ fan, a Skoda Fabia S2000 participating in Greek Rally Championship, sponsored by Amsoil, and after reading your blog, the question “which specific Amsoil do they use, in a N/A 1,996 cc = 121c.in. racing motor running up to 9500r.p.m. and approx. 300hp
” emerged. So, I took myself to the service park with the intention to ask team engineers about that. In fact, I didn’t need to do so, because I saw them in an oil change using Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series oil, instead of Amsoil Dominator Racing oil. I found that this was kind-a-weird, so I decided to ask them “why so”.

Chief engineer told me that every time they need to rebuild the engine, they measure accurately, all geometric parameters such as clearances, ring’s width, cams heights etc. in order to replace if something was out of specs, and after 3800 racing kms (2000+miles), they decided to use Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series oil, because all mentioned components’ wear was close to non-measurable from one to the next rebuild procedure.

In fact, that’s -in my opinion- another proof that your data are “online” with real world’s facts. Of course, a high pressure oil pump and FIA approved oil cooler are provided. But apart from these, it’s still a highly stressed engine, revving most of its lifespan between 6,000 and 9,500 rpm, “feeding” via gearbox all 4 wheels.

The question remains: why not use Amsoil Dominator Racing oil

(To mention rally team’s name, in order to avoid “suspicious minds” from “bad thoughts”: “Cabilis Performance”)

Keep doing great things,
E.C.
Greece

My final comment about this Testimonial: Amsoil Signature Series oil has performed far better than Amsoil Dominator Racing oil, in my Engineering tests. So, the obvious choice is their Signature Series oil, if you want the absolute best wear protection. Perhaps this Race Team has been reading my Blog.

Last edited:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag