Best Oil and Why ?!

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Likely a redundant issue, but would like informed info for full synthetics. Considering : AMSOIL Synthetic, Castrol Edge, Kendall Liquid Titanium, Mag1 FMX, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Penzoil Platinum, Phillips Shield, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Red Line Full Synthetic, Royal Purple, Sunoco Ultra Full, TiLUBE, Valvoline High Mileage.
Sponsored

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I use AMSOIL because it stays clean the longest.
Agreed 100%. Been using their oils in all my vehicles be it motorcycle or auto or truck. Just remember to get the Signature series. It's good for 25,000 miles or 1 year! However that is cut to 15,000 or 1 year whichever comes first if you sport the turbo due to 'severe service' which is what I have; the Touring. I change once a year. Also pick up their Ae filters to go with the extended drain interval.

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Amsoil SS, RedLine, Motul, Total Quartz, Torco as these are a true 100% PAO/Ester based oil, not a purified Group3.

beatleknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T, 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTX
Country flag
Of those that you listed, I have had great experience with Kendall w/Liquid Titanium, Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State UD. All three offer excellent protection even for the 10k - 12k oil change intervals most will get on the 10th Gen Civic. Also, PP and QSUD are readily available at Walmart for around $22 for a 5 quart jug. I've heard good things about Amsoil and Red Line as well (but they run around $50 for only 4 quarts).

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Of those that you listed, I have had great experience with Kendall w/Liquid Titanium, Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State UD. All three offer excellent protection even for the 10k - 12k oil change intervals most will get on the 10th Gen Civic. Also, PP and QSUD are readily available at Walmart for around $22 for a 5 quart jug. I've heard good things about Amsoil and Red Line as well (but they run around $50 for only 4 quarts).
They're all good. Some have their disadvantages as well as advantages like the group 3 for seal softening and swelling to lessen oil leaks around seals; but the group 3 based will be prone to sludge in higher drain intervals and not as forgiving on cold starts. So pick ur poison. I'll stick with my Amsoil as for one they have the highest moly count for wear and tear and on cold starts. There was a whole right up comparing all the top brands and the percentage of ingredients in each and stating their purpose. If I come across it I will repost the link.
Remember Amsoil changed their formula to have the high moly a few years back. So make sure your research is recent. Here is one link https://www.google.com/amp/s/540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/amp/

Last edited:

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You can buy highly rated moly additive on Amazon. That's not a reason to fork over your wallet to Amsoil. I add moly to every Mobil 1 extended oil change
That is just one thing I mentioned. There are other attributes to Amsoil that outperform Mobil 1. Why put additives into a top rated oil such as Mobil 1. You don't need to do this to Amsoil plus you shouldn't be adding additives that change the viscosity and other chemical interactions with the oils own chemicals. States right in manual to not use additives. But like I said before 'To each his own' it's your car you can do to it whatever you want. I'm not saying that in a bad way. Lol. It's fine as long as you don't change the chemical makeup of the oil. Especially with turbos and DI engines by adding additives that aren't needed by Amsoil, I would be cautious.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
I seem to recall that the guys over at BITOG liked Motorcraft Synthetic Blend from Wally World. If you ever want to go down the rabbit hole of oil, head over to the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums.

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
I have used Redline 0w-20 since the first oil change along with a Royal Purple oil filter. Works great.

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I seem to recall that the guys over at BITOG liked Motorcraft Synthetic Blend from Wally World. If you ever want to go down the rabbit hole of oil, head over to the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums.
This oil worked like unicorn lube on the 7.5 gen Accord V6.

I'm thinking Quaker State 0w-20. The 10w-30 QSUD was a game changer on my Sc300.

Last edited:

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Likely a redundant issue, but would like informed info for full synthetics. Considering : AMSOIL Synthetic, Castrol Edge, Kendall Liquid Titanium, Mag1 FMX, Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Penzoil Platinum, Phillips Shield, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Red Line Full Synthetic, Royal Purple, Sunoco Ultra Full, TiLUBE, Valvoline High Mileage.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

hydensiq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
If you live in a cold cold area in the winter check this out. I'll probably be using M1 with m1 filter for winter. Summer m1 filters are still one of the best hands down. Oil still undecided as I still have the break-in oil.

Sponsored