Best Mods for longevity

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Accord EX Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys, I've got a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan Manual Transmission car and I'm looking around at mods like an air intake with a bypass valve among a few others and I'm curious as to what modifications I could make to my vehicle to do 2 things, the first is to increase longevity, compared to stock parts, the second is to increase performance. I'm not a gear head and I don't go to rallys, but I do enjoy street racing rarely, but I really enjoy going from a red light to about 5 mph over the speed limit, lol. So any mods that you guys can think of that I can put on my vehicle without hurting it is what I'm trying to say. I've also heard that I shouldn't care about longevity because I'm pushing my car at red lights, but here's the thing, it's not every day that I'm doing this and it's not at every red light, plus I've heard that Honda's can take a beating and don't mind going 6,500 rpm as much as other vehicles would. What are your guy's thoughts? Thanks as always.
Sponsored

Itachily504

First Name
Itachi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Isn't that an oxymoron? To answer your question: scheduled oil change

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
My thought is don't street race and stay the F away from me, and don't street race and stay the F away from me.
Don't worry about Longevity, with your attitude towards driving, you are going to total the car way sooner than you are going to wear it out.

If you really want to race, GO TO A TRACK. Do not endanger others on the road with your irresponsible attitude. :bonk:

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Absolutely, what he said! You want reliability, do some cosmetic mods, leave the drivetrain alone, find a good dealer or independent mechanic & follow the Honda reccomended service protocol. The Civic is enough fun for most anyone just as-is, leave it alone, drive it in a sane way, don't beat it to death and it will last 200k without major issues. What you are proposing as a drive style will, definitely get you tagged for, at a minimum, reckless driving, being a hazard on the highway and anything else one of the boys in blue can find in the statutes. Ain't worth it! Get a beater, mod it to your heart's content and find a track to play on. The roads are hazardous enough without boy racers! Trust me, your insurance agent would reccomend this as well. :doh:

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
People don't like to buy used cars that have been modified. Especially performance mods or electrical mods. There is a reason for that. Modified cars have lowered reliability and durability.

The factory Engineers set up the vehicles to last. If you want durability, don't fudge with it. Many of the members here do modify their cars because this is an enthusiast site. They don't care about durability because most of them only keep their car for a few years anyway and they don't care about losing a bit on resale to have the car just the way they want it.

The only modifications that make your car last longer is get it oil sprayed once every year or two and get the paint protected with a film (MUCH cheaper just to wax it twice a year with a synthetic wax).
Just maintain your car properly and don't abuse it if you want it to last. I did this to my last Civic and it lasted 17 years.

Last edited:

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always drive my Honda's pretty well lol and I always just change the oils at 5-6k with synthetic..tsx 260k when I traded it in and my 00 accord had 300k and I sold it should have kept both those cars

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, I've got a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan Manual Transmission car and I'm looking around at mods like an air intake with a bypass valve among a few others and I'm curious as to what modifications I could make to my vehicle to do 2 things, the first is to increase longevity, compared to stock parts, the second is to increase performance. I'm not a gear head and I don't go to rallys, but I do enjoy street racing rarely, but I really enjoy going from a red light to about 5 mph over the speed limit, lol. So any mods that you guys can think of that I can put on my vehicle without hurting it is what I'm trying to say. I've also heard that I shouldn't care about longevity because I'm pushing my car at red lights, but here's the thing, it's not every day that I'm doing this and it's not at every red light, plus I've heard that Honda's can take a beating and don't mind going 6,500 rpm as much as other vehicles would. What are your guy's thoughts? Thanks as always.
Lots of shade being thrown on here so I will actually recommend a mod that should help longevity. Check out Mishimoto's oil catch can. Direct Injection engines tend to have an issue with build up on the intake valves. Adding an oil catch can to the crank case line will give the oil/fuel/nasties a place to settle before routing them into the engine to be burned off. Should only run $100 or so, take an hour to install, and will give a little peace of mind.

Last edited:

Charley-TX

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag
Some good thoughts here. Definitely, for your sake and your families and loved ones, let alone the rest of us no street racing okay? The other core items here = focus on the maintenance schedule and stay on it. I'll second the thought on an annual spray for the car body as this has worked for me extremely well. Krown and Rust Check here in the GWN are known and excellent. I highly recommend the Fumoto quikvalve also. Have them on all my vehicles and they work just so excellently well. I'll be adding mine after the factory warranty is up. A good set of floor liners also to protect your car's interior. Many options there. Keep it clean, maintain it and use good product and it will last. Also, educate yourself to wrench a bit. It's amazing the amount of money you can save, and honestly no one will care more than you. Start with oil changes and work up from there. The money you save you can buy a modest set of tools which will put you on the path, and you begin to pay yourself forward. And when you learn and get comfortable you KNOW the work is done right. And also don't expect to learn it all immediately. Know you may make mistakes but honestly the stuff I've seen that was charged for, you can't do any worse. The counterpoint to this is also to know your limits, but don't be afraid. :) And enjoy the car, these vehicles are fun to drive as heck.

Frozen Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
The best way to increase performance without harming the car's longevity is advanced drivers education. Good benefit of that is it gets you time on the track, rather than the street where you could kill someone. The second best way is performance tires. Anything else is going to be well below that in bang per dollar or bang per longevity.

In terms of other mods that will just keep your car working longer:
Rust Proofing: The Canadian Military did a study and found that Corrosion Free is the best rust inhibitor, followed by Krown.
Oil: Use quality synthetic oil, and filters, and follow or exceed the maintenance schedule. I have had bad experiences with the techs at multiple Honda dealerships so I DIY, this lets me know it's done right.

Or you could just crank up the PSI on your turbo, spray nitrous, and keep street racing. Just look out for when your manifold gets damaged, the floor of your car drops out, and your piston rings get fried.
Sponsored