Best intake for the sound

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
If you just want the blow-off like sound, get a PRL CAI or shortram (as said).

IMO, the PRL CAI does have noticeable drone from 2-3K at part throttle. The Turbo sounds it makes when pushing it are quite nice though.

The PRL short ram is just annoyingly loud from outside the car. I haven't heard it inside the car.
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
First of all, there is no turbo "whistle" on these cars. All you get is a "whoosh". They sound to me like you're blowing something off with an air hose nozzle.

For what sound they do make, remove your air cleaner and leave the airbox top "off". Then drive it for a hundred yards or so. And that will be the most "sound" you can get out of the intake. Also all of the "popoff" sound you're going to get without installing a "vent to outside" blowoff valve, which is bad for our cars.

From there read the pros and cons of "cold air intake" vs water ingestion. Personally I like the "Burger Motorsport" intake. Though I just personally run a K&M in the factory airbox.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Is that intake *really* appreciably cooler than a regular SRI? Or is it just marketing BS?
I think that it is one of the best "breathers" available. Retains the most amount of stock parts for a low cost. Sits high enough not to be a hydro-lock hazard.

As far as heat soak, it's pulling air from the top of the engine bay. The faster you drive, the greater the amount of "cool" air getting to it.

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
I think that it is one of the best "breathers" available. Retains the most amount of stock parts for a low cost. Sits high enough not to be a hydro-lock hazard.

As far as heat soak, it's pulling air from the top of the engine bay. The faster you drive, the greater the amount of "cool" air getting to it.
All SRIs sit high and pull air from the top of the engine bay. And of course as you get moving you start to draw cooler air.

But the ad copy for this intake suggests cool-air benefits from retaining the lower part of the stock intake. I'm not seeing how that'd work, so I'm guessing this is just ad copy exaggeration.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
You're right. The only benefit that I can see to having the unused airbox underneath their intake, is that it doesn't allow "hot" air to accumulate or flow from beneath. Acting like a "heat shield" from the downpipe and the cat.

GotBoost?

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si sedan, 1992 Chevy Blazer
Country flag
Do yourself a favor and go with the PRL COBRA. I was in your boat 4 months ago and was deciding between PRL sri, cobra, and 27won. I decided on the cobra because it seemed to have the best mix of sound and performance. The SRI didn't perform as well (heat soak), the 27won allegedly didn't sound very loud (semi sealed box). And their posted power gains are negligible.

The cobra has an AWESOME continuous suction sound at 70% throttle and a major WOOSH when letting off. Both best under bridges ! Plus proven power gains and lower temps.

For the extra $100 you get all that and only have to take everything apart one time. Not that it's that difficult but it's a few hours, 1-3, setup to cleanup depending on abilities and tools.

I ordered all from Corey at TSP plus a ktuner w their stage 1 tune and that B#$%ÂĄ SINNNNGGSSS

OP
OP

Turboblu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si Blue, 15 Sedona (Shuttle Atlantis)
Country flag
I ordered the short ram for now. Not to worry about heat soak at this point. Def not tracking this car or sitting in heavy traffic so I’m rarely not moving. Plus like others have stated if hestsoak really does become a problem I’ll just get an inter cooler to solve all the issues. We have a lot of standing water here at the beach and a lot of the roads I drive flood pretty easily so that super low filter kinda worries me. We shall see. If I feel I need to I can always spend the extra bit and get the conversion.

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I would have ordered the BMS (burger motorsports). It's under $200, sounds great, and overall performs a lot better than stock (especially when doing pulls - 10 to 15 over ambient). When you're sitting, temps can rise quickly, but they come down just as fast once moving. During normal driving, the intake is usually about 10 degrees cooler than stock. Fuel trims for the Si version are reportedly pretty good. For the base models, several people have reported issues with trims, not sure if this is due to their being race and factory versions (wrong MAFs sent??), or some kind of defect. The issues can however be corrected with MAF scaling (tuning).
Sponsored