Best intake for the 2019 Hatchback Sport: sound vs performance?

asdf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm looking for the best intake for the sound, and the best intake for the performance boost alone (haven't made up my mind which route I want to go down yet) but I will be pairing it with Ktuner.

From what I hear intakes don't do much without a tune, but even with I'm not sure if it's enough extra ponies to justify skipping the nice whooshes that the short rams provide over cold air intakes.

I heard in this thread that the PRL short ram is good for sound but can actually hurt performance due to heat soak. Can someone explain what heat soak is and is it a major issue in SoCal? In a perfect world I'd get an intake that is great on performance and also gives nice induction noises, but they seem to be mutually exclusive.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
PRL Cobra is my vote, followed by 27WON

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
CAI > SRI for performance and SRI > CAI for sound generally... PRL CAI seems to be a favourite around here

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Do you know how much horsepower you could squeeze out for both intakes given a tune?
I'd expect you'd see around 10 HP without a tune, maybe 20 HP ish with a Race MAF (PRL) and a tune. You might see more with other supporting mods.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Either a 27won CAI or PRL CAI. I have a PRL Race MAF CAI (requires a tune).

Heatsoak is when the tubing & filter get hot and also the intake starts sucking up hot air, short ram intakes suffer this fate more. That mixed with a heat soaked stock intercooler (also highly recommend upgrading the intercooler too because that gets heatsoaked fast) brings the intake temps up, and because of high temperatures the ECU will retard the timing (meaning you lose hp) to protect the engine from the hot air coming in.

OP
OP

asdf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Either a 27won CAI or PRL CAI. I have a PRL Race MAF CAI (requires a tune).

Heatsoak is when the tubing & filter get hot and also the intake starts sucking up hot air, short ram intakes suffer this fate more. That mixed with a heat soaked stock intercooler (also highly recommend upgrading the intercooler too because that gets heatsoaked fast) brings the intake temps up, and because of high temperatures the ECU will retard the timing (meaning you lose hp) to protect the engine from the hot air coming in.
If I don't get an intercooler but do get a CAI + tune, will heat soak get so bad to the point where it actually performs worse than just running stock without a CAI? Didn't know this was all so complex :(

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
If I don't get an intercooler but do get a CAI + tune, will heat soak get so bad to the point where it actually performs worse than just running stock without a CAI? Didn't know this was all so complex :(
I’m not entirely sure how it is without a PRL IC, since I bought/installed both at the same time. It should be fine with e CAI with a stock Intercooler, but if you want to ink out every hp you can I recommend upgrading it. After 3 hard pulls (especially tuned) the stock IC gets heat soaked pretty fast

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Someone was pointing out that the only benefit of a larger intake is more air volume as the turbo is going to heat the air the same regardless and that the IC makes most of the difference on intake air temps into the engine. Don't know if anyone has tested this but it does make sense.

OP
OP

asdf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
CAI > SRI for performance and SRI > CAI for sound generally... PRL CAI seems to be a favourite around here
I see that you have KTuner, does KTuner let you choose what parts you have installed on your car for the tune options?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I see that you have KTuner, does KTuner let you choose what parts you have installed on your car for the tune options?
Not usually. There's additional adjustments for PRL Race MAF and the 27WON W1 turbo kit. Other than that, its made for a stock vehicle.
Sponsored