"best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI?

Jays

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Honda Civic
Country flag
Let me clarify what I think "best" means... I want a head unit that will check all of these boxes:

1) Miost of my (huge) music collection is flac. I want a unit that reads flac, ogg vorbis, wav and mp3.
2) I want a unit that will play music files in order. The stock unit tends to just play alphabetically and ignore the numbers in front of songs. (If it can not be done, ok, but this is a nice to have)
3) Navigation. I don't mind using my cell phone, but I miss nav being on the actual screen (my old car, not a honda, had this).
4) Climate control and system (e.g. TPMS, etc) needs to still function and the "stock" menu items need to be accessible (somehow, I do not care
if they do not look like stock, but I do not want to delete some function, like changing the behaviour of the door locks just because I changed the head unit).
5) XM radio (Sirius, whatever its called). I have a small subscription, yeah I do like a few channels.

I thought I found one, but it did not do XM.

What does this forum recommend?

I really do not need "all that other stuff" like apps, wireless, blah blah. I just want the ability to read any music file from a USB stick (stock seems to only like wav/mp3) and the ability to customize the display, have navigation and still use XM.

Thanks.
It uses OEM USB ports and FM antenna. For mic and GPS antenna you install it (provided).

Just checked, the "Please release the parking brake", works fine.
The OEM amp can work only with the OEM HU (unless we install an expensive adaptor, Metra, I think). HU sends a coaxial SPDIF to amp (full volume, like CD player) and also controls the amp through a RS485 for volume, balance, fader etc. Because of this serial port control, OEM HU and OEM amp are a pair. None can work without the other (for sound).

About my setup.
At the beginning I managed to extract line out from the OEM amp. I used that with an aftermarket amp and drove the fronts and the sub (all those speakers NON OEM!). The sound was very good!!
Now with this HU I used the line out at the beginning just for the tryouts. Later I used the optical with a DSP and then to the amp.
Joying->Helix DSP mini->Hertz HCP 4DK -> Focal front and sub (no other speakers are connected, they ruin the quality!). The sound is amazing!!
If I knew the progress, I would buy a DSP/AMP device. Fewer cables, easier setup, less space needed.

Simply because it has volume knob :p. Really. Also the touch buttons are very useful.
The 9" looks the same size but no knobs. The 10" is (beautiful though!) a bit bulky. takes up space from air vents...
Behind those screens, it's the same HU. Same specifications!!

Here are the options for the vehicle:
20210914_135554_HDR.jpg
20210914_135607.jpg
20210914_135621_HDR.jpg
20210914_135633_HDR.jpg
20210914_135641.jpg

I think I answered everything. If no, just ask.
I'll prepare a presentation video of the HU for a FB group of Civic owners in Greek. When ready, I can send you the link for any info you may find inthere.
This head unit looks like to give you the option to resetting oil maintenance light does it work?

Jays

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Honda Civic
Country flag
Can anybody answer if this radio has the option to reset maintenance oil light please!!!!

Jays

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Honda Civic
Country flag
It uses OEM USB ports and FM antenna. For mic and GPS antenna you install it (provided).

Just checked, the "Please release the parking brake", works fine.
The OEM amp can work only with the OEM HU (unless we install an expensive adaptor, Metra, I think). HU sends a coaxial SPDIF to amp (full volume, like CD player) and also controls the amp through a RS485 for volume, balance, fader etc. Because of this serial port control, OEM HU and OEM amp are a pair. None can work without the other (for sound).

About my setup.
At the beginning I managed to extract line out from the OEM amp. I used that with an aftermarket amp and drove the fronts and the sub (all those speakers NON OEM!). The sound was very good!!
Now with this HU I used the line out at the beginning just for the tryouts. Later I used the optical with a DSP and then to the amp.
Joying->Helix DSP mini->Hertz HCP 4DK -> Focal front and sub (no other speakers are connected, they ruin the quality!). The sound is amazing!!
If I knew the progress, I would buy a DSP/AMP device. Fewer cables, easier setup, less space needed.

Simply because it has volume knob :p. Really. Also the touch buttons are very useful.
The 9" looks the same size but no knobs. The 10" is (beautiful though!) a bit bulky. takes up space from air vents...
Behind those screens, it's the same HU. Same specifications!!

Here are the options for the vehicle:
20210914_135554_HDR.jpg
20210914_135607.jpg
20210914_135621_HDR.jpg
20210914_135633_HDR.jpg
20210914_135641.jpg

I think I answered everything. If no, just ask.
I'll prepare a presentation video of the HU for a FB group of Civic owners in Greek. When ready, I can send you the link for any info you may find inthere.
Can you tell me if this HU is able to reset TPMS system and Oil Maintenance Light? Thanks

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
I think the Oil maintenance light is reset by service when changing oil. Never needed to do it my self and I think is done outside the HU.
For the TPMS I know. It's not possible. Even after the September firmware update.
In January they released another update but since I've unistalled this HU, I don't know if they fixed it...

Jays

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Honda Civic
Country flag
I think the Oil maintenance light is reset by service when changing oil. Never needed to do it my self and I think is done outside the HU.
For the TPMS I know. It's not possible. Even after the September firmware update.
In January they released another update but since I've unistalled this HU, I don't know if they fixed it...
Well in my 2019 Ex stock unit it gives you the option to calibrate TPMS system and reset oil maintenance. And every time I got an oil change it could only be reset through the head unit.

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So what's the consensus on this Joying headunit? I'm so tired of the factory headunit on my Touring. It's so slow and buggy. This is an 8" unit with volume knobs: https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-2016-2017-honda-civic-head-unit-replacement-with-8-ips-screen.html The first question asks if the vehicle has a factory amp but does this mean it'll be compatible with the Touring/Type R?

The Sygav headunit, for example, says it doesn't support factory "premium audio systems with factory optical fiber output": https://www.amazon.com/SYGAV-2016-2018-Stereo-Navigation-Android/dp/B07SMNMR1Z?th=1

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So what's the consensus on this Joying headunit? I'm so tired of the factory headunit on my Touring. It's so slow and buggy. This is an 8" unit with volume knobs: https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-2016-2017-honda-civic-head-unit-replacement-with-8-ips-screen.html The first question asks if the vehicle has a factory amp but does this mean it'll be compatible with the Touring/Type R?

The Sygav headunit, for example, says it doesn't support factory "premium audio systems with factory optical fiber output": https://www.amazon.com/SYGAV-2016-2018-Stereo-Navigation-Android/dp/B07SMNMR1Z?th=1
I had installed the Joyning HU. Fast as expected and the digital output is controled by the volume knob!!
No, it doesn't support the OEM amp. I don't know why they provide this option. Maybe for the compatibilityof the rest of the plugs..
I have reinstalled the OEM HU and stay with it!
With aftermarket HU you loose some functionalities of the vehicle.
There are problems with the SDcard. No write permission to apps. When asked them, they suggested I use the built-in player :banghead:
The climate status pops up every time the fan changes speed. Super annoying if you use the navigation at that time.
All in all, no substitution for the OEM HU.
My solution is having a phone set up as media player and navigation permanently plugged through AA and left in the car. The restriction of AA are a bit annoying but a phone mirror ability is coming from Google :cool:

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for your reply. Was that question ("do you have a factory amp?") available when you purchased the unit? Maybe, maybe, they now support it?

It's a shame that there are no suitable aftermarket replacements - or, better yet, that the stock head unit on the Touring is so trashy.

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, the question was available. I chose "yes" but still not possible (sick and tired of Chinese low quality).
The model is still the same. Only the firmware gets updated. But it doesn't have the serial port for controlling the OEM Amp.
Personally, I didn't care cause I used the optical out to a dsp.
The OEM HU may be slow but it supports the car's functions just fine. For the rest, a smartphone as I said previously.
Believe me, after the Joying experience I was very satisfied having the OEM HU!

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Yes, the question was available. I chose "yes" but still not possible (sick and tired of Chinese low quality).
The model is still the same. Only the firmware gets updated. But it doesn't have the serial port for controlling the OEM Amp.
The OEM HU may be slow but it supports the car's functions just fine. For the rest, a smartphone as I said previously.
It’s interesting you couldn’t get sound to work with the OEM amp. Another member on here who has a Type R got it to work. I’ll be ordering the new 10.5” unit next month myself to try out. My factory one is leaving me beyond frustrated, crashes almost daily hard.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-does-the-ctr-head-unit-control.62590/#post-1021394

I know in my research I found this video with the factory amplifier model working fine as well.

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I emailed them for clarification. I'm not exactly expecting clear and concise responses, lol.

Part of the reason why I absolutely hate the head unit in my vehicle is because of the constant freezes and all the phantom "home" button presses. I'll be in whatever menu/app with the head unit, and then it'll magically go back to the home screen. I'll re-open the app, then it magically goes back to the home screen. Wash rinse repeat a few thousand times and i'm ready to break it. Yes, I've gone to the dealership. No, they haven't been able to replicate it. Yes, I've recorded it and showed it to them, but no they haven't been able to replicate it.

Thinking ahead, I'll probably have the civic for another 4-5 years. I don't think I can deal with this for another 4 or 5 years, lol.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Oh well. That’s that.
9840A26F-1F04-4FC1-97CF-B234D991194C.jpeg
I have a Type R that has the factory amplifier and plan use the new Joying 10.5”. Ordered it the other day and I should install it beginning of March. A few others on here have installed Joying models recently and have gotten the sound to work with the factory amplifier. I confirmed with their support that this model does work with the factory amplifier for sound.

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-n...-for-honda-civic-2016-2017-plug-and-play.html

02E28A15-BD88-4B9F-A2C5-DBE7531E1E3E.jpeg

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Just wanted to give an update-

I actually just got it in and installed a few nights ago.

I actually just got it in and installed a few nights ago. Bought it off AliExpress for $365 and got it in about 3 days via DHL. https://a.aliexpress.com/_msrzqHI

Everything is working as expected. The biggest thing was making sure I got the correct harness, which includes the small Can Bus HD Adapter seen below circled in red. There’s an end that plugs into the front preamps of the radio, an end that plugs into the factory amp cable and then a harness that is wired up into the rest of the harness.

Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? 56BCD3AF-2E6C-4956-92A2-204E5D38CBBF

The next thing would be to make sure you have the correct Can Bus vehicle and option chosen in the settings. They advised me to use this one below. I tried using the Civic High model but the sound was way too low.

Reverse camera also works perfectly and I didn’t have to tap any reverse wires.

Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? 3D6110D6-8047-448D-9525-34B430BA00E4
Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? A8ACE25A-7037-4B70-AE1C-7343386C42D4

Last edited:

rockstar B

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2015 M4
Country flag
Hey, would you mind rehosting those images? I have mine installed and working, but the sound volume is very, very low. Their customer support has not been very good in addressing this. They even asked me to send them a video of how I'm adjusting the volume LOL.
Sponsored