"best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI?

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Let me clarify what I think "best" means... I want a head unit that will check all of these boxes:

1) Miost of my (huge) music collection is flac. I want a unit that reads flac, ogg vorbis, wav and mp3.
2) I want a unit that will play music files in order. The stock unit tends to just play alphabetically and ignore the numbers in front of songs. (If it can not be done, ok, but this is a nice to have)
3) Navigation. I don't mind using my cell phone, but I miss nav being on the actual screen (my old car, not a honda, had this).
4) Climate control and system (e.g. TPMS, etc) needs to still function and the "stock" menu items need to be accessible (somehow, I do not care
if they do not look like stock, but I do not want to delete some function, like changing the behaviour of the door locks just because I changed the head unit).
5) XM radio (Sirius, whatever its called). I have a small subscription, yeah I do like a few channels.

I thought I found one, but it did not do XM.

What does this forum recommend?

I really do not need "all that other stuff" like apps, wireless, blah blah. I just want the ability to read any music file from a USB stick (stock seems to only like wav/mp3) and the ability to customize the display, have navigation and still use XM.

Thanks.
Sponsored

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
Personally I found the HU that suits Civic just fine.
https://www.joyingauto.eu/joying-4g-lte-honda-civic-car-stereo-android-8-1-0-car-audio-system.html
It's also available in 9" (no knobs, just touch buttons)
and 10" (just a screen, no buttons)
I'm currently missing the side traffic alarm but i hope I'll find it. Other than that everything just works.
As an adroid tablet you can install any app and player. I use musicolet with a 256GB sd card (fat32) and I'm very happy!!
HU's player doesn't read flac or wav.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
https://www.joyingauto.eu/joying-4g-lte-honda-civic-car-stereo-android-8-1-0-car-audio-system.html
I'm currently missing the side traffic alarm but i hope I'll find it. Other than that everything just works.
As an adroid tablet you can install any app and player. I use musicolet with a 256GB sd card (fat32) and I'm very happy!!
Interesting. These look exactly like the ones listed in the 9" thread that is a million replies long.

I wonder if they are all from the same place. I wonder if they could be rooted and any android put on, but then how would it talk to the climate control and backup cmaera?

Misa33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Hatchback Sport Plus
Country flag
Kostas do you retain Honda Sense configuration screens?

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting. These look exactly like the ones listed in the 9" thread that is a million replies long.

I wonder if they are all from the same place. I wonder if they could be rooted and any android put on, but then how would it talk to the climate control and backup cmaera?
In the thread you refer to many different HUs appear.
I don't think rooting/installOS would be possible retaining all the function for the Civic.

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Kostas do you retain Honda Sense configuration screens?
Well I didn't have enough time to play around.
Only missing think is the Cross Traffic Monitor.
I don't remember smth for Sensing to be configured from HU.
Do you have smth specific in mind? I can check it!

Misa33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Hatchback Sport Plus
Country flag
Kosta I appreciate your help. You are ahead of what I would like to do with my car audio. Here are some questions for you:

• Have you retained the vehicle settings menu (under settings)? See attached pictures for the options.
    Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? IMG_20210914_122156
    Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? IMG_20210914_122205
  • Can you confirm that joying uses the OEM antennas (for FM/AM and GPS), the OEM USB ports and the OEM Microphone? (I know that joying keeps these factory functions, but I am curious if you have faced any problem)
  • Did you retain the OEM Amplifier? (I have read your thread where you manage to get clean signal from it). If this is true, then did joying optical connected to amplifier? Did you retain the chimes such us “Please release the parking brake” when trying to move with parking brake and without wearing the seat belt?
  • Any technical reason that you choose the 8’’ version or just a personal preference?
  • In another thread you installed a Sub, and you are happy with it. Did you install a DSP or another amp after the OEM amplifier? What did you do with the clean signal?
@number9 sorry if I am hijacking your thread

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you confirm that joying uses the OEM antennas (for FM/AM and GPS), the OEM USB ports and the OEM Microphone? (I know that joying keeps these factory functions, but I am curious if you have faced any problem)
It uses OEM USB ports and FM antenna. For mic and GPS antenna you install it (provided).

Did you retain the OEM Amplifier? (I have read your thread where you manage to get clean signal from it). If this is true, then did joying optical connected to amplifier? Did you retain the chimes such us “Please release the parking brake” when trying to move with parking brake and without wearing the seat belt?
Just checked, the "Please release the parking brake", works fine.
The OEM amp can work only with the OEM HU (unless we install an expensive adaptor, Metra, I think). HU sends a coaxial SPDIF to amp (full volume, like CD player) and also controls the amp through a RS485 for volume, balance, fader etc. Because of this serial port control, OEM HU and OEM amp are a pair. None can work without the other (for sound).

About my setup.
At the beginning I managed to extract line out from the OEM amp. I used that with an aftermarket amp and drove the fronts and the sub (all those speakers NON OEM!). The sound was very good!!
Now with this HU I used the line out at the beginning just for the tryouts. Later I used the optical with a DSP and then to the amp.
Joying->Helix DSP mini->Hertz HCP 4DK -> Focal front and sub (no other speakers are connected, they ruin the quality!). The sound is amazing!!
If I knew the progress, I would buy a DSP/AMP device. Fewer cables, easier setup, less space needed.

Any technical reason that you choose the 8’’ version or just a personal preference?
Simply because it has volume knob :p. Really. Also the touch buttons are very useful.
The 9" looks the same size but no knobs. The 10" is (beautiful though!) a bit bulky. takes up space from air vents...
Behind those screens, it's the same HU. Same specifications!!

Here are the options for the vehicle:
Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? 20210914_135554_HDR
Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? 20210914_135607
Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? 20210914_135621_HDR
Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? 20210914_135633_HDR
Honda Civic 10th gen "best" head unit replacement 10th gen 2017+ SI? 20210914_135641

I think I answered everything. If no, just ask.
I'll prepare a presentation video of the HU for a FB group of Civic owners in Greek. When ready, I can send you the link for any info you may find inthere.

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Forgot to mention that Trip A & B reset can NOT be done from HU. Only from dashboard pin.
Maybe with an update some bugs will be fixed.
But in general I see myself with this HU.

Jays

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Honda Civic
Country flag
Does this get unique gives you the option o
I have a 2019 Honda Civic EX with the side view camera and I bought this head unit in Amazon everything seems to work except I'm not able to reset oil maintenance light.
That's this radio have that option?
f resetting oil maintenance
Let me clarify what I think "best" means... I want a head unit that will check all of these boxes:

1) Miost of my (huge) music collection is flac. I want a unit that reads flac, ogg vorbis, wav and mp3.
2) I want a unit that will play music files in order. The stock unit tends to just play alphabetically and ignore the numbers in front of songs. (If it can not be done, ok, but this is a nice to have)
3) Navigation. I don't mind using my cell phone, but I miss nav being on the actual screen (my old car, not a honda, had this).
4) Climate control and system (e.g. TPMS, etc) needs to still function and the "stock" menu items need to be accessible (somehow, I do not care
if they do not look like stock, but I do not want to delete some function, like changing the behaviour of the door locks just because I changed the head unit).
5) XM radio (Sirius, whatever its called). I have a small subscription, yeah I do like a few channels.

I thought I found one, but it did not do XM.

What does this forum recommend?

I really do not need "all that other stuff" like apps, wireless, blah blah. I just want the ability to read any music file from a USB stick (stock seems to only like wav/mp3) and the ability to customize the display, have navigation and still use XM.

Thanks.

OP
OP

number9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic SI
Country flag
Does this get unique gives you the option o

I have a 2019 Honda Civic EX with the side view camera and I bought this head unit in Amazon everything seems to work except I'm not able to reset oil maintenance light.
That's this radio have that option?
f resetting oil maintenance
Do you mean you purchased this exact unit from amazon? (https://www.joyingauto.eu/joying-4g-lte-honda-civic-car-stereo-android-8-1-0-car-audio-system.html) Searching for it on amazon just brought up look-a-likes, is why I am asking.

Jays

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EX Honda Civic
Country flag
I just want to know if this model supports this option thanks

Last edited:

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got very frustrated with this HU.
I missed some vehicle functions. The climate status popped up in an annoying way. Final hit was the SD card problems.
So, I switched back to OEM HU with a permanently connected phone through Android Auto.
Sponsored