Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I'm currently testing Hooker Blackheart , and I'm really pleased how good is made , the weight , sound and quality, is loud, no drone, but if you like just a little more sound than OEM I won't recommend it special with catless downpipe.

Honda Civic 10th gen BEST EXHAUST FOR CIVIC TYPE R?? IMG_1730.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen BEST EXHAUST FOR CIVIC TYPE R?? IMG_1844.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen BEST EXHAUST FOR CIVIC TYPE R?? IMG_1848.JPG

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Surprised I didnt see Greddy on here. If theres one exhaust for this car that is bang for the buck, I would say Greddy is at the top. Definitely one of the more renown JDM brands imo, and the overall quality of the exhaust shows that

CTR-2324.jpg
CTR-2326.jpg
ctr-3688.jpg
ctr-3674.jpg

The only downside to this exhaust is its taper a bit where it meets the front pipe, but Greddy sells the 3 inch portion online for $150 which still puts this exhaust system at a good pricepoint compared to other ones.

Soundwise this exhaust is great. Its not obnoxiously loud, the tone of the exhaust is deep. In comparison, I installed an AWE touring exhaust and FP on my brothers R, and while his sounds good, the tone is higher pitched than the Greddy.

Aesthetically, the exhaust looks great, the piping, the tips, muffler canister, is all quality. The welds are great, and imo, cleaner than the AWE my brother has, which to me is amazing considering the AWE costs twice as much. The exhaust tips themselves are a good size, aggressive, but tasteful, the edges are rolled. The Greddy emblem in between the tips is awesome and ties everything together. Overall, ive gotten a lot of compliments on the exhaust.

People complain about drone on this exhaust, and I do have to say that if you induce load at about 2500rpm while cruising it can get loud, but thats about it. Its pretty tolerable unless you grew up in an era where you are absolutely used to sound deadening. I am used to gutted EK's and DCs with 3 inch exhausts on NA Motors. Thats what real drone is to me :D

Overall, loving this exhaust so far, Id make the same choice over again if I had the chance.
I loved how it looked, but hated the leaks...ditched it after owning for about a month

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I loved how it looked, but hated the leaks...ditched it after owning for about a month

Yeah man I saw you were having issues, that totally sucks. I think ive been lucky so far and havent had that problem.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Any consensus on the most noticeably louder catback exhaust that still has little to zero drone? I want a louder note but have sensitive ears/tinnitus and can't handle drone.

Had AWE's track exhaust on my GTI (stock DP) and it was perfect, maybe would of liked it a tiny bit louder but it had zero drone which was great. On that platform, that was the way to go for any noticeable difference with no drone, as the touring was wayyy too tame and barely noticeable compared to stock (again, stock DP).

Seems on these cars the AWE track is too much and the touring fits the bill? Another thing I didn't like about the AWE then was how tricky it was to align everything. But maybe that was just my incompetence.....

Burnt triple tips would be cool too.....

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Any consensus on the most noticeably louder catback exhaust that still has little to zero drone? I want a louder note but have sensitive ears/tinnitus and can't handle drone.

Had AWE's track exhaust on my GTI (stock DP) and it was perfect, maybe would of liked it a tiny bit louder but it had zero drone which was great. On that platform, that was the way to go for any noticeable difference with no drone, as the touring was wayyy too tame and barely noticeable compared to stock (again, stock DP).

Seems on these cars the AWE track is too much and the touring fits the bill? Another thing I didn't like about the AWE then was how tricky it was to align everything. But maybe that was just my incompetence.....

Burnt triple tips would be cool too.....
Most if not all exhausts have some droning frequency to them as well as the amplitude in which they drone. For example, the Borla I have will drone around 2250-2500 RPM while some other notable exhausts tend to drone in the 3k region. Some have stated hearing drone from the AWE Touring around 2000-ish RPM as well. That being said, tinnitus should have a specific frequency (or frequencies) that will activate it, so while some exhaust drone may not affect you, a different exhaust drone may.

Keep in mind that the AWE Track exhaust you're talking about has no resonator. A resonator will definitely help out the drone and lower its amplitude. That's what the Touring is designed for.

Other ideas would be the Greddy DD-R or 27Won exhaust. There are also the active exhausts like Remus, Armytrix, or BoostLogic.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most if not all exhausts have some droning frequency to them as well as the amplitude in which they drone. For example, the Borla I have will drone around 2250-2500 RPM while some other notable exhausts tend to drone in the 3k region. Some have stated hearing drone from the AWE Touring around 2000-ish RPM as well. That being said, tinnitus should have a specific frequency (or frequencies) that will activate it, so while some exhaust drone may not affect you, a different exhaust drone may.

Keep in mind that the AWE Track exhaust you're talking about has no resonator. A resonator will definitely help out the drone and lower its amplitude. That's what the Touring is designed for.

Other ideas would be the Greddy DD-R or 27Won exhaust. There are also the active exhausts like Remus, Armytrix, or BoostLogic.
Agree tiny.
For AWE Touring they have a 360 cavity to reduce drone but there’s still a ‘bright sound spot’ around 2400-2600, most noticeable slower speeds windows down. Resonance is a strange beast. Many cars resonate when just one or both rear windows rolled down partially/fully without exhaust influence that can modify or even amplify sound. Add in the fake 2020 wannabe grrrr and you can easily create a fine mess.

The most interesting looking solution maybe is 27’s under car tuba-trap.

I look forward to next year installing Intercooler, front & down pipes and CAI & inlet to increase HP some and get like louder and have that precious airline toilet flushing whoosh!

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Don't dispute that some exhausts technically have some drone at some range.....but my AWE exhaust on my GTI had, to me, zero drone that I could pick up. If it passed my sensitive ear test, it would for 98% of users. The downside was even that track edition sounded almost stock like quiet until you were really on it.

But something with that amount of "drone" is exactly what I'm looking for. Would be nice if it was a tad more aggressive.....but not if it introduces annoying drone.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
But something with that amount of "drone" is exactly what I'm looking for. Would be nice if it was a tad more aggressive.....but not if it introduces annoying drone.
A couple of challenges with the CTR over the GTI - less sound deadening and stiffer bushings really bring more NVH into the cabin over the GTI. I have shot a ton of videos inside our CTR with the stock DP with our Touring edition (check out the MonDave episodes on IG on @awetuningofficial ) Once that stock cat is removed a high-flow is installed, I've found a definite increase in volume as mentioned above. Being that we have a ton of different cars here at any time, I don't find our Touring to be significantly uncomfortable. We also have a MK7.5 GTI with the Touring and that car has a quieter cabin in stock form than the CTR. If you have any questions, definitely DM me.

I appreciate all of the feedback from real world users and will also tell you my fun car is a 135i with a hi-flow cat and muffler delete so that's what I'm used to (A bit louder on the inside. but again a ton of sound deadening).

RepyT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A couple of challenges with the CTR over the GTI - less sound deadening and stiffer bushings really bring more NVH into the cabin over the GTI. I have shot a ton of videos inside our CTR with the stock DP with our Touring edition (check out the MonDave episodes on IG on @awetuningofficial ) Once that stock cat is removed a high-flow is installed, I've found a definite increase in volume as mentioned above. Being that we have a ton of different cars here at any time, I don't find our Touring to be significantly uncomfortable. We also have a MK7.5 GTI with the Touring and that car has a quieter cabin in stock form than the CTR. If you have any questions, definitely DM me.

I appreciate all of the feedback from real world users and will also tell you my fun car is a 135i with a hi-flow cat and muffler delete so that's what I'm used to (A bit louder on the inside. but again a ton of sound deadening).
Great response and products Dave.

Someday I want a diff downpipe for more volume but not convinced I want catless just yet. First priority is taking in more air and finding my turbo whoosh in combo with other pre-combustion tubes.

Besides being IMO the best FK8 exhaust, nobody else ships with Blow Pop that has it’s own foam cutout.

No wonder I’m in AWE. Recently added some ‘stagger-swagger’.

Honda Civic 10th gen BEST EXHAUST FOR CIVIC TYPE R?? F910208E-8898-4448-8611-E8F41AE370B2

USMC.E5k

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just got my Spoon N1 from GoTuning. I’m very happy with it. It’s not very loud, which was what I was looking for.

Proximity noise of 91db and acceleration noise of 78 db.

Honda Civic 10th gen BEST EXHAUST FOR CIVIC TYPE R?? A5912C47-18D1-4AA9-89F6-4D4F62335953

Honda Civic 10th gen BEST EXHAUST FOR CIVIC TYPE R?? A10DD3F4-883E-4C73-A968-AFF77B318E5C

Honda Civic 10th gen BEST EXHAUST FOR CIVIC TYPE R?? 0756946D-E8F6-4433-82F7-4BC09F46A6DC

r712

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R (FK8) | 2017 Fit (GK5)
Country flag
Just got my Spoon N1 from GoTuning. I’m very happy with it. It’s not very loud, which was what I was looking for.

Proximity noise of 91db and acceleration noise of 78 db.
I've had mine for a few months now and it really is the perfect DD exhaust. Removes the vacuum cleaner note heard in the cabin while keeping things quiet enough to not disturb neighbors and appear obnoxious on the road. The exhaust will still definitely wake up when sending it though. TBH this is how it probably should've sounded from factory.

IMO, the only somewhat 'droney' sound happens at around 2k rpm while cruising, which is usually 6th gear while going 45-50 mph, but it's not bad at all. Not even noticeable if I'm playing music at decent volume.

Only con in my eyes is the price, but that's what you get with Spoon/Mugen stuff... and it comes with the front pipe too, so there's that added cost as well compared to some other options.

USMC.E5k

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes, I noticed the drone in. But it’s not that bad compared to other exhausts. It’s not annoying or anything.

The con is yes the price tag. Not everybody can have it ??‍♂. Tbh, i wanted to get the Legamax because of the price tag and it has that old school look. But I’m much happier with Spoon.

UPDATE: 10/28/20
After a few weeks of the exhaust being installed on my car, I noticed a significant decrease in the drone to the point I barely notice it. I’m really happy with this Spoon N1.

I've had mine for a few months now and it really is the perfect DD exhaust. Removes the vacuum cleaner note heard in the cabin while keeping things quiet enough to not disturb neighbors and appear obnoxious on the road. The exhaust will still definitely wake up when sending it though. TBH this is how it probably should've sounded from factory.

IMO, the only somewhat 'droney' sound happens at around 2k rpm while cruising, which is usually 6th gear while going 45-50 mph, but it's not bad at all. Not even noticeable if I'm playing music at decent volume.

Only con in my eyes is the price, but that's what you get with Spoon/Mugen stuff... and it comes with the front pipe too, so there's that added cost as well compared to some other options.

Last edited:

Type_RawR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 #14116 / 2008 FG2
Country flag
I'm running AWE track edition on mine, I wanted ALL THE LOUD and AWE brought all the LOUD. The level of NVH went from zero to stratospheric real quick but I've always enjoyed loud ass vibrating smelly race cars so it really doesn't bother me. My daughter and I have been chasing slight buzzes in the interior after the exhaust install and have nailed mostly all of them with 3M foam tape now I just need to figure out a way to keep my change from rattling in it's holder in the console ?. In terms of drone I have found that just cracking a window down to the edge of the Mugen visors works well in cutting down the resonance in the cabin.

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
To clarify, both the AWE Track and Touring have resonators in the mid-pipe. It's mostly to cut rasp.

Honda Civic 10th gen BEST EXHAUST FOR CIVIC TYPE R?? 1603152198816

RepyT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm running AWE track edition on mine, I wanted ALL THE LOUD and AWE brought all the LOUD. The level of NVH went from zero to stratospheric real quick but I've always enjoyed loud ass vibrating smelly race cars so it really doesn't bother me. My daughter and I have been chasing slight buzzes in the interior after the exhaust install and have nailed mostly all of them with 3M foam tape now I just need to figure out a way to keep my change from rattling in it's holder in the console ?. In terms of drone I have found that just cracking a window down to the edge of the Mugen visors works well in cutting down the resonance in the cabin.
Sounds AWEsome. You can plastidip each coin and unwrap it when needed, or just use a plastic card like most folks these days.
Sponsored