Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey guys been searching around trying to find the best Synthetic Oil to use for my first oil change on my 2019 Si. Here are a few choices that are popular among fellow Si owners. I know I am missing a lot but feel free to share your thoughts!
Sponsored

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey guys been searching around trying to find the best Synthetic Oil to use for my first oil change on my 2019 Si. Here are a few choices that are popular among fellow Si owners. I know I am missing a lot but feel free to share your thoughts!
Mobil 1 always flow well even when cold. For protection I recommend Amsoil Signature Series 0w30, Lubro Moly Energy 0w-40, or Motul XMax 0w-40. I know these are not 0w-20 but the hot viscosity at 100 degrees celsius is not much different and what I want is protection and film strength. My economy has been great since upgrading motor oil. What people are correctly stating too is that with a little fuel added to the oil, you want to maintain the specified viscosity.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Penzoil Platinum even says its redesigned for modern turbo engines on the package. Best engine oil bar none.
Most oil brands have reformulated to reduce LSPI for modern turbo engines. It's part of the API SN Plus requirement.

Marketing hype does not equal a good oil.

I'll say it again. Amsoil Signature Series is number one. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is a very, very close second.

Go watch the Project Farm oil showdown.

Edit: PUP is such a close second, I would buy it over Amsoil in a heartbeat if it comes back in stock at this price. In fact, I'm watching for it to come back in stock now.

Honda Civic 10th gen Best engine oil SI Screenshot_20190824-080456

As a preferred customer, the Amsoil is $10/QT or $40 for an oil change. I'd take it over the PUP until the PUP is under $30/5QT.

Last time I did an oil change the PUP was $43, so I used Amsoil instead.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Penzoil Platinum even says its redesigned for modern turbo engines on the package. Best engine oil bar none.
Honda Civic 10th gen Best engine oil SI 81pZ200XxNL._AC_SL1500_
What I buy sort of does too... and I don't think many are going to rant and rave about it. I use it in anything that takes 0 or 5w-20 I have. $16-something on Amazon w/subscribe and save when it's on sale... tax bumps it up to about $18.

How about a 'as long as it has a API cert and is a GF-5 SN Plus oil'... whatever oil is on sale option? Until GF-6 comes out next year, I don't think there's anything higher than that. :fear:

...there are some of us that do care about our cars... but are just doing standard OCIs are have zero brand loyalty. Maybe there are things better than good enough (shrug).

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
As long as it’s a “full” synthetic oil and the recommended viscosity you will be fine. Just make sure you change the oil during normal intervals. I use Honda full synthetic oil in my cars because I figure it’s formulated for their engines so I can’t go wrong. I focus more on the oil filter. I use the Hamp high performance filters in both of my cars. They are original equipment on the civics before they went to the fram filters. The part number is H1540-RTA-515. These filters are the same as the Filtech A01 filters. Filtech just changed the company name to Roki and changed the name on the filter to Hamp, where they used to say Honda. Here is a couple comparison pictures. But for my vote I say Honda oil
Honda Civic 10th gen Best engine oil SI A2E8C22B-99F9-46C3-A660-201149A6D51F
Honda Civic 10th gen Best engine oil SI 4A30464A-6D1F-46FB-B8D4-FE68E3685AB1
Honda Civic 10th gen Best engine oil SI E38ED8E7-B369-4EFD-A730-11B12CDCC25A

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If the car is just a daily driver it isn't really too big of a deal to change what oil is used so I would stick with OEM Honda fluid. If you are looking for a high performance motor oil because you either want to do a lot of spirited driving or plan on lots of mods, I would recommend Motul, Redline, or Amsoil. The reason being is these are Ester based oils which are a higher performance oil capable of running in either extreme cold or hot temps. They are also way cleaner for the engine and dont break down as fast and have special polymer additives which help prevent engine wear. A lot of other oil companies call their oils synthetic but its still crude mineral oil that has been refined as the base, and then added with synthetic additives. Not to say they are bad, but they aren't truly "synthetic". The only oils that are true synthetic will say 100% synthetic on them instead of full synthetic. They will also be called a Grade IV or Grade V oil as the base stock is chemically engineered rather than using a mineral oil. My personal favourite is Motul 8100 eco lite. its an ester based 100% synthetic that meets all requirements for our engines.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
In Canada, Honda OEM engine oil is about the same price as Amsoil OE series oil.
I read that Amsoil Signature series is excellent, how about this OE series?

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
penzoil IS NOT THE BEST OIL BY FAR.

Penzoil marketing has these civic x owners thinking its some god like oil. Don't use that crap.

Amsoil Signature series is the oil to use.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
penzoil IS NOT THE BEST OIL BY FAR.

Penzoil marketing has these civic x owners thinking its some god like oil. Don't use that crap.

Amsoil Signature series is the oil to use.
If you watch the ending episode of the Project Farm oil showdown on YouTube where he tests Pennzoil Ultra Platinum against Amsoil Signature Series, you'll see that PUP is a very close second in his tests.

Any of the other Pennzoil products are not comparable.

Last edited:

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you watch the ending episode of the Project Farm oil showdown on YouTube where he tests Pennzoil Ultra Platinum against Amsoil Signature Series, you'll see that PUP is a very close second in his tests.

Any of the other Pennzoil products are not comparable.

this thread title is "best engine oil"... amsoil is the best.. I get what your saying but penzoil has been junk for a very long time and took them a while to see no one liked it (that knew what they were looking at).
Sponsored