Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Wasn't there an issue with PUP where people were receiving oil that was multiple years old and/or the oil had separated? Even if the date was because of the seller the separation part makes me think No thanks.
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Amsoil Signature Series is good but it is almost double the cost of Amsoil OE series. How is the OE oil?

I change my oil well below the MM limit (30% oil life left) with Honda oil. I think Amsoil Signature Series may be an overkill for me.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't use that crap.
Amsoil is apparently...

Honda Civic 10th gen Best engine oil SI oth4

Amsoil Signature Series is good but it is almost double the cost of Amsoil OE series. How is the OE oil?

I change my oil well below the MM limit (30% oil life left) with Honda oil. I think Amsoil Signature Series may be an overkill for me.
The OE has a API cert. I don't think the other does... at least I don't think it used to. I thought it's additive pack was high-out-of-spec for something... zinc? BITOG covered it awhile ago.

I know 1 quart of it costs about the same as 5 quarts of mine. Since I don't do extended OCIs... I've never tried their motor oils.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Amsoil OE costs about the same as a Honda oil. This is why I asked.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I would not buy Amsoil OE. It's for people who worship Amsoil but want the API seal and it's formulated for the price point.

I'd buy PUP everyday over it. Especially at $20/5QT at Walmart.

Also, I just ordered a jug of PUP from Walmart, date on the jug is 12/28/18 and it looks great. No sediment or visible separation.

I think those problems are past us now.

Potterman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Amsoil is good enough, personally I use the oil, that was recommended by Honda experts. I found a good article, where they describe the list of the best engine oil for Honda Civic https://carfluidsexpert.com/best-oil-for-honda-civic/ , you can read the descriptions of the recommended oils, and choose the one for you by the price and other features.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I personally went with the OEM Honda Oil and do my oil change every 3000 miles

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
What a skewed poll. No way is OEM oil better than the others listed.

I'm using Penzoil Ultra Platinum, myself. 5-7k intervals with a new Mobile 1 filter each time.
I would not buy Amsoil OE. It's for people who worship Amsoil but want the API seal and it's formulated for the price point.

I'd buy PUP everyday over it. Especially at $20/5QT at Walmart.
:thumbsup:

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
What a skewed poll. No way is OEM oil better than the others listed.

I'm using Penzoil Ultra Platinum, myself. 5-7k intervals with a new Mobile 1 filter each time.

:thumbsup:
I do not put it past Honda to design planned obsolescence into their oil. They are a huge company. People don't think they have 100 pages of charts and graphs outlining various scenarios and using probability statistics?? Of course they do. They know each country's economy and demographic pretty damn good too. I'm not that gullible to believe they want my car to last 20 years using thin 0w20 Honda formulation, thinning more with some fuel added during winter.. So, no I will make my own lubrication decisions.

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I'm nearing 5000 miles on my '20 Si so I'll probably take it to the dealership just for the initial one and specify the OEM full synthetic, whatever brand that is.

Coming from the BMW world, I'm interested if anyone has used Liqui Moli Moly Gen in these cars. Buying the 5qt jugs on Amazon makes is no more expensive than the same size in say Mobil 1 or Penzoil.

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
I've used amsoil plenty and really don't like the cost, PUP has been my go to lately and just recently I'm gonna go back to my german car days and use liqui-moly molygen 5w30. It's oil, change it when you should and you'll be fine, in before someone who sells amsoil pitches their sales speech. Cammyfive mines on the way ordered it last week, but I've never had issues with liqui-moly or motul so there's other good options.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I'm nearing 5000 miles on my '20 Si so I'll probably take it to the dealership just for the initial one and specify the OEM full synthetic, whatever brand that is.

Coming from the BMW world, I'm interested if anyone has used Liqui Moli Moly Gen in these cars. Buying the 5qt jugs on Amazon makes is no more expensive than the same size in say Mobil 1 or Penzoil.
a lot of dealerships using Mobil 1 instead of OEM:confused:

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
No such thing as “best” oil for all usage scenarios.

I personally run Valvoline Modern Engine 5w30 in the summer. It’s Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved, and it’s Kinematic Visc @ operating temp and HTHS are just BARELY thick enough to be considered a 30 grade. It is hardly thicker than Redline 0w20. For that reason, I feel comfortable running it when ambient temps are in excess of 100°F

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag

I have 72k on my '17 Civic 1.5 and started out w/ Motul XMax 0w40, mixed with an Eco 0w20 and then used LiquiMoly 0w40 Synthoil as well as some blends with it. Although the Synthoil has great reduction of wear, it makes the engine a tad slower to spin. It's a balancing act and no doubt that Honda has confidence in its metals, alloys, precision, & cooling to recommend very light oil. I want max life. My '00 Passat got to 330k miles on a turbo motor before needing oil seals and possibly rings. I want to see how far this little mighty mouse can go!

Currently on LiquiMoly LL 0w30. The cool viscocity is still higher than I would like but it was 38$, free ship on the Ebay and is not as thick as the Synthoil 0w40. I think the two factors to consider are flow rate and wear protection and you can't lean too far in either extreme.

Mobil 1 stays clean but I def would not run Valvoline as my rudimentary kitchen tests showed its slickness at thin levels to be very poor. Motul and LiquiMoly are leaders in new generation oils to give longer life. Mixing ester base oils makes their oils thicker but aid in clinging to metal and eliminating friction.
Sponsored