lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I recently received my side skirts and they are unpainted black plastic. I want to carbon fiber wrap them rather than get them painted so they'll match my Type R front lip.

Does anyone have recommendations on what vinyl wrap products they'd use?

Honda Civic 10th gen Best Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap? IMG_3113.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Best Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap? IMG_6193.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Best Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap? IMG_3732.JPG

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
That's going to be a really tough job if you arent experienced. Even though it is expensive, I would recommend going to a shop to have them wrap it for you

calijoefornia

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L in Lunar Silver Metallic
Country flag
I recommend Vvivid carbon fiber wrap. Just don’t use heat until you’re sealing the wrap around the corners and you won’t stretch it. Heat guns are the worst thing you can do to textured or vinyl wrap unless you have quite a bit of experience wrapping

OP
OP
lurker_j

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I recommend Vvivid carbon fiber wrap. Just don’t use heat until you’re sealing the wrap around the corners and you won’t stretch it. Heat guns are the worst thing you can do to textured or vinyl wrap unless you have quite a bit of experience wrapping
Don’t you need some heat though to seal it? So use a blow dryer instead to go slower?

calijoefornia

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L in Lunar Silver Metallic
Country flag
Don’t you need some heat though to seal it? So use a blow dryer instead to go slower?
Yes use a heat gun to lock it in but try to avoid heat when initially applying the wrap otherwise the pattern stretches. Carbon wrap is super tricky because it’s such a small pattern and any stretching looks that much worse as a result.

My advice is to lay out your pieces in the sunlight to heat them up enough to be flexible but wait to use a heat gun until you’re sealing up the corners and trimming the excess.

ZephyrFlash

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes use a heat gun to lock it in but try to avoid heat when initially applying the wrap otherwise the pattern stretches. Carbon wrap is super tricky because it’s such a small pattern and any stretching looks that much worse as a result.

My advice is to lay out your pieces in the sunlight to heat them up enough to be flexible but wait to use a heat gun until you’re sealing up the corners and trimming the excess.
Alternatively, you can use a hair dryer on the lowest setting to make the vinyl more flexible and you shouldn't have to worry too much about overdoing it, then when you need to seal the wrap just switch over to a heat gun.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want it to be close to matching the type r stamped plastic carbon look I would recommend 3m Di Noc Carbon vinyl.

OP
OP
lurker_j

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you want it to be close to matching the type r stamped plastic carbon look I would recommend 3m Di Noc Carbon vinyl.
I'm probably going to go with this but it is so dang expensive. Have you used it before?

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm probably going to go with this but it is so dang expensive. Have you used it before?
Yes, it is pretty easy to work with and it top quality. Using quality wrap on the panels you are planning on wrapping is key to both the job looking good and it staying looking good.

I would start with a small 12" object with some contours to learn how to work with it. Also watch youtube videos for how to work with it. Good luck with your project. It should come out very nice.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
DiNoc is expensive but it's great stuff. 3M 1080 carbon almost looks as good and costs a bit less.

OP
OP
lurker_j

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just in case anyone wanted a reference for their own cars. Here are 3 different 3M carbon vinyl samples next to a genuine CTR lip:

3M Dinoc Gloss black carbon fiber (CA-1170) - This is the one I'm going to use as it most closely resembled and had similar texture.
Honda Civic 10th gen Best Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap? IMG_4005.JPG

3M Scotchprint 1080 black carbon fiber (CFS12)
Honda Civic 10th gen Best Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap? IMG_5678.JPG

3M Dinoc Non-gloss black carbon fiber (CA 421)
Honda Civic 10th gen Best Carbon Fiber Vinyl wrap? IMG_8152.JPG

All samples are from MetroRestyling.com

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know which type of carbon fiber vinyl the ABS Dynamics Type R Side Skirts are wrapped with?
Pretty sure they are not wrapped. They are molded with the pattern from what I can tell.

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does vinyl wrap stick to ABS plastic sufficiently?
As long as the surface is smooth yes. May need adhesion promoter for complex corners and seams... to be honest though I am not a pro at vinyl, this question is better suited to be answered by someone who is.