Sebbles

First Name
Sebi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I had a sport hatch for a while so i just put it through regular car washes. Now that I have a type r I don't want to damage the wing through car washes. What are the best brands and tools needed for washing at home?
Sponsored

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Pressure washer would make life easier. Electric would be just fine for car washing. A foam cannon would make things easier and potentially quicker. Some wash mitts, a bucket, a drying towel, and car soap.

For drying towel, I highly recommend the Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave. It holds a ton of water and is pretty soft. The Rag Company also makes very good towels.

Soap: Meguiar's Gold is good, Adams is very good, especially for the foam cannon and it’s very inexpensive. I think it’s the best I've used. CarPro Reset is good too but very expensive. The Chemical Guys pink soap (idk which exact one) is also pretty decent. I’m using it now because I got the gallon for cheap.

wash mitts: any soft one from a reputable brand. They all do the same thing.

bucket: any bucket

foam cannon: I recommend the MTM hydro. It’s expensive but good quality. I’ve used three different cheap brands I found on Amazon in the past and they all messed up pretty quick. Maybe my luck?

I’d also invest in an iron remover, tar remover (if needed), clay kit and a ceramic coat. I used CarPro CQuartz Lite and it’s been good. For the clay kit I bought a clay towel and clay lube and it worked very good.

Also: If you’re trying to prevent damage like swirls and stuff from the paint, it’s more about your washing technique than your actual tools. Keep that in mind. You can have the best tools around but if your technique is bad then you’ll damage the paint. And same goes for the other hand, if you have a good technique you can use pretty much anything at your disposable for a good outcome.

Last edited:

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Karcher K1700 is a good starter kit. Definitely get the upgraded kit from Obsessed Garage with the MTM Hydro.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/coll...products/karcher-k1700-cube-portable-solution

Invest in good wash media and drying towels. You can find high quality affordable options from the Rag Company.

Two bucket method is always recommended. Get some grit guards for the buckets and make sure you separate your wash media from the stuff you use to clean your wheels.