Best Brake Fluid for Si

MediumUnwell

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan, 2013 Civic EX-L, 2012 Odyssey EX-L (the wife's)
Country flag
Been searching and can't find what I'm looking for. Obviously the manual tells me genuine Honda Heavy Duty Dot-3 fluid. I've read about Bosch fluid being really good as well as Motul 5.1. I don't track this car but I have a K-Tuner with TSP Stage 1 and a PRL Cobra CAI. Spirited driving is my "go-to" style of driving most of the time. My thinking is I can get better fluid that OEM - lots to choose from that don't cost much more than OEM and are DOT 4 or even DOT 5.1. To me, seems like a no-brainer but wanted to get some input first. Anything I've read thus far has been like "Doesn't matter the fluid just change every 2 years" or "Motul RBF 660 is what I used on track day then I bleed afterwards." Like these feel like 2 ends of the spectrum - I just want a good fluid will last and give me solid performance. It seems like if I can get 5.1 why not get it instead of OEM. I have previously put Amsoil in the manual transmission and saw a bit of an improvement. Wondering if the same would be true on the brake fluid side of things. Just looking for others' experiences - not neccisarly those who track their car and bleed after track day - this is my daily driver. Is there a better/longer lasting/less corrosive fluid I should be looking at? Motul, Amsoil, etc. With fluid changes only every 2 years I'm okay with spending a bit more on the fluid.
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
It depends on how "Spirited" you are when you do your spirited driving. The better the brake fluid, it is better at holding up against heat. I just use prestone synthetic DOT3 fluid from Autozone.

Last edited:

rileyj98

First Name
riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe
Country flag
Whatever fluid you choose don’t put DOT 5 in the system, as it will mess it up. DOT3 and DOT4 are interchangeable as the only difference is the boiling point of the fluid but DOT5 is a silicone fluid and won’t work. Now I believe you can use a DOT 5.1 as it is still glycol ester based but I would double check to be safe

Lunarsilver17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
where do you find "heavy duty dot 3 honda" fluid? Thats what the manual recommends, but all i see online is "genuine OEM dot 3 honda".

904_Si

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
where do you find "heavy duty dot 3 honda" fluid? Thats what the manual recommends, but all i see online is "genuine OEM dot 3 honda".
Just bought mine from the dealer $5 and some change per bottle.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Dot 4 will give you some added protection for a minor cost increase over dot 3 but if you don't track the car or drive overly aggresive in stop and go traffic, you will never boil your brake fluid.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
https://www.amazon.com/ATE-706202-Original-Racing-Quality/dp/B003VXRPL0

Less than $20, enough for a brake fluid flush, near or higher than Dot 5.1 boiling temperature (Dry and Wet). Highly recommended by many, even in different car manufacturer groups. The higher the Dot number, the more prone it is to absorb moisture, so it’s recommend to change more often or at least more on top of changing the brake fluid.