Best bang for the buck performance mod (new wheels/tires or phearable tune?)

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I'm at the point where i'd like a little more performance but I don't want to spend a ton of $. I don't want to increase power to the point where I need a new clutch. I don't really want to add parts to the car unless I absolutely have to. I am very interested in longevity so I don't want to compromise the motor with higher boost etc.

So that leaves me with 2 options.

1. New lightweight wheels and better tires: the OEM wheels are heavy AF so i figure i can save at least 10lbs per corner by upgrading wheels. I'm also still driving the stock all-seasons which suck pretty bad. I would either get summer tires or really good performance all-seasons like the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3 or sport all season 4.

2. Tune device and TSP/phearable tune. I imagine this will give me more power but option 1 reduces weight, particularly unsprung weight which is important.

Would love some opinions on which will improve performance the most. I don't want to spend the money for either option if it's not going to be a noticeable improvement. Thanks!
Sponsored

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
A new set of wheels and tires versus a KTuner and a tune (TSP tune is free you purchase a KTuner from them) has a very big price difference.

If you are strictly talking bang for the buck, then the tune is a no brainier. Plus, just because you have a tune doesn't mean your reliability will go down (unless you abuse your car).

Even Map 1 on the TSP tune is already a very big improvement over stock and will not harm your clutch. I would say go for the tune. ?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, from a cost versus performance improvement perspective, a KTuner / better tires combo would be a great choice. And both TSP and Phearable's tunes come with 3 maps ranging from mild to wild.

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm at the point where i'd like a little more performance but I don't want to spend a ton of $. I don't want to increase power to the point where I need a new clutch. I don't really want to add parts to the car unless I absolutely have to. I am very interested in longevity so I don't want to compromise the motor with higher boost etc.

When longevity is factored in, any power adder is out of the window. You already have an Si, which is middle of the ground power wise in the Xgen lineup. Motor and transmission is built and balanced for its power output. Finesse is important, since even with stock power, clutch can be wasted in the wrong hand.

1. New lightweight wheels and better tires: the OEM wheels are heavy AF so i figure i can save at least 10lbs per corner by upgrading wheels. I'm also still driving the stock all-seasons which suck pretty bad. I would either get summer tires or really good performance all-seasons like the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3 or sport all season 4.

Light weight wheels + good tires can be expensive and certainly increase better handling and acceleration and not gonna stress your engine the way a tune does.

2. Tune device and TSP/phearable tune. I imagine this will give me more power but option 1 reduces weight, particularly unsprung weight which is important.

Precisely!

Would love some opinions on which will improve performance the most. I don't want to spend the money for either option if it's not going to be a noticeable improvement. Thanks!
My .02:-

Personally, I always start with light/strong wheel/tire, suspension, brake and cooling(in this case, both radiator/IC), before HP. Optional are CAI and exhaust. This route can be expensive but car will be more balanced by far for the stock power output.

After all that, see if you want more power for the Si or move onto something that is already designed with more power/handling from the get go with a warranty.

Good luck!

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
A tune of your choice and my recommendation would be hondata ots e25 tune specifically. Leave car stock otherwise (engine wise).

marcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
First mod on my 2020 was ktuner from TSP. Shortly after, I bought new tires. If I were to do it again, I'd do tires first.

Saadeq

First Name
Saadeq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag

1. Tires - I would go for 245/40R18 Michelin Pilot All Season 4. PS4S if you want summer tires.
2. Tuner - Would give a bit more power - noticeable
3. Weels - These may improve performance in multiple fronts but may not be noticeable that much. for example, switch OEM wheels (18x8 ET 50 @ 29 lbs) with MR131 - 18x8 ET 45 @ 18.7 lbs. This gives 10 mm more track width to improve handling, 10 lb less wt. to improve gas mileage and handling. Or say you spend more and go further to the edge by RPF1 18x8 ET35 @ 18 lbs with 235/40R18 tires, you may notice better handling.
Sponsored

Last edited: