xsolrac12

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Curious will replacing the stock resonator with an an aftermarket one, let’s say a vibrant resonator will it increase power or will it just be louder?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will throw my car soon a dyno soon and update thread.
I take it you haven't dyno'd yet? Have you had an aftermarket exhaust put on yet? From what I can see, you last posted in the 'I am filled with regret' exhaust thread since making this statement so I asked.

I previously had an 3" Injen exhaust on my car back in November 2017. I had it taken off shortly afterwards and also my PRL frontpipe (It became damaged due to error in installation - PRL Front Pipe Damage). So I currently only have a catless PRL downpipe.
I just got of the phone with the exhaust shop that had modified my Injen exhaust and they still have my exhaust at their shop, hanging up in some back room somewhere. I will have it installed tomorrow and see if I notice any difference in my 1/4 mile times once I get back to the track. I'll post up any difference but track conditions/temp would have to be similar to my most recent runs (60F to 85F). It's starting to get hot out now unfortunately.

I may have a race on my hands against a 2.0T 2018 Honda Accord 10sp Auto. I'm starting crap in their Facebook group since a few ragged on CVTs. The races will be taking place at Atco Raceway tomorrow.

Here are a couple videos I made when I had it modified and installed. It wasn't aligned properly due to my Front Pipe not being installed correctly.

Here's what it sounded like. Sound quality horrible trying to record it close up but it was deep due to the large muffler size I had installed. It was a straight through design. I don't care for loud mufflers, just functional for flow. As you can see, my car still had T-tags on it. I had already had the exhaust before the car. :p

Last edited:

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I have never seen them make an exhaust system regardless for past generation Hondas or Subies
First let's be clear: PRL does NOT make exhaust systems and therefore does not test exhaust systems. As such, you will never get any data from them regarding decent cat-back exhaust systems. Also, if you use common sense, anyone in the business to make money will probably push what products THEY HAVE that make more power. If you did everything you could do to make power with an unlimited budget you could probably push this 1.5 to 1000 horsepower but alas...what millionaire would do that?

Now that that's out of the way....1.5T Civics come in three flavors from the factory. Mine is the Sport Hatchback. I designed and built my system and used advice and parts from Italian exhaust shop Supersprint. They are great in every possible way. What I got regarding diameters(which are measured on exterior of pipe) is that you do need to know how much HP you want to push. If you want unlimited potential up to 375-400HP 3" is recommended. If you want up to about 330 HP 2.75" will do fine. Having cut and tig-welded my system from stainless pipes from an SI (which have 60mm from factory) I learned the hard way how hard it is to build your own system and get all the hangars to line up and your elevations just right. That said, wit no other mods, the engine breaths better at all RPM's from idle and the better flow is especially noticeable above 3000 RPM and the engine pulls to redline unlike before when it would go to redline but begrudgingly.

3" exhaust will sound deeper than 2.5" but the flow(and torque) may be somewhat reduced somewhat just like if you decat the downpipe you will lose torque but gain horsepower up too. As far as the step you mentioned from the 3" downpipe/front pipe to 2.5", first remember that ideally you want to go from smaller to larger exhaust as you go back because cooling exhaust is slower and it helps your scavenging and to accelerate the exhaust exit as pressures equalize at the exhaust tips. If I had a 3" in front I would stay at 3" throughout. But depending on other factors you may want the sound or clearance of the 2.5 and in that case you can buy a 2.5 and use a 3" to 2.5" reducer to install in between them. It's fairly easy mod so there is not an abrupt step there.
This was a very interesting observation from you guys. Thanks for sharing! You make sense on the PRL part. Even now with their big turbo kit setup and running 10 second 1/4 mile times, there is still no exhaust setup being produced by them to support this power level. It was from reading posts like this last night that convinced me to put my Injen 3" exhaust back on again tomorrow and do some more personal testing.

Last edited:

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Best aftermarket exhaust? E666D301-F30B-4A72-BBA3-803E449CC4D4

Honda Civic 10th gen Best aftermarket exhaust? 64CD8CD7-6A8D-4DCB-8E52-F472C99EC238

Yours sounds really nice and deep. well done. I need to upload some videos to Youtube. Mine sounds alright. Its straight thru-style resonator and muffler, both stainless from Supersprint, 2.75 and 2.5 inches respectively. How does your perform?

Reactions: Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
E666D301-F30B-4A72-BBA3-803E449CC4D4.jpeg

64CD8CD7-6A8D-4DCB-8E52-F472C99EC238.jpeg

Yours sounds really nice and deep. well done. I need to upload some videos to Youtube. Mine sounds alright. Its straight thru-style resonator and muffler, both stainless from Supersprint, 2.75 and 2.5 inches respectively. How does your perform?

That's my old setup. My new muffler is 2.5 in/out now and isn't straight through. It's about half as loud as the one in that video. Very boring and muted. Right up my alley. I can't gauge how it performs. I want it to feel better based off the dyno info and all the stuff I've read about opening the exhaust up after the turbo (Sky's the limit). I'll know when I get back to the track but temps lately have been 15-20+ degrees warmer than my previous testings. May need to hold off for about 2 months to really test in 70F weather or lower. It's been 90F with heat index up to 100F, even today. :banghead:

You have a nice setup. As long as you like it, roll with it. :headbang:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
27won used aem's exhaust back pressure meter when they designed their exhaust,so they would know where and how much difference there would be with a bigger exhaust.Don't know if they would share this info though...

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback 6M
Country flag
Greddy Supreme. Best looking, perfect welds, long history, lightweight, 3inch piping, no drone, deep tone, great price, simple install, absolutely no negatives.
Would the greddy exhaust work with the non-sport hatch if I were to install the Type R replica rear diffuser?

Last edited:

Civicsi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would the greddy exhaust work with the non-sport hatch if I were to install the Type R replica rear diffuser?
I think you would have to shorten the exhaust by about 2 inches. But that's not a big deal. I'm sure you could get an exhaust shop to do that for dirt cheap. Like $30. It would look sick, having the supreme sedan version on a hatchback.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
That said, wit no other mods, the engine breaths better at all RPM's from idle and the better flow is especially noticeable above 3000 RPM and the engine pulls to redline unlike before when it would go to redline but begrudgingly.

3" exhaust will sound deeper than 2.5" but the flow(and torque) may be somewhat reduced somewhat just like if you decat the downpipe you will lose torque but gain horsepower up too.
I agree with this. After installing my MAPerformance exhaust, it pulls to redline much better compared to the stock exhaust. I also do feel the slight loss in torque down low but I am OK with that personally. Overall it has changed the character of the engine and IMO is more fun to drive now.