Bent connecting rods on 1.5t Hatchback

blancobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 LX sedan
Country flag
Sad situation with a nice car.

I know a guy who drag raced his Si years ago. When his transmission failed he tried to get Honda to cover it. Now Honda transmissions are crap and he'll never buy another.

:doh:
Sponsored

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Well, play hard, pay hard :)

check if your insurance will cover it?

I have Geico and they offer mechanical breakdown coverage.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I am located in Ottawa. That would be great. Im not looking to spend too much as Im a student with tuition to pay still hahah
So interesting!! Well it could he worse. My son bought a 1989 Nissan Cefiro ex-drift car from Japan and the motor was trash with metal shavings in the oil. He still tried to drive it and drift it everywhere. He did not complain of having no car for over a year.

Not having a car for a while is not that bad. You can get a job and save some money. I would build the engine bottom end to go with your bolt ons and a turbo. Or just swap in 4 SI rods at least, since they are stronger. I have a hatchback too and am not tuned because its a weaker engine. I don't even know if there are piston squirters. You need an SI transmission too for the LSD. Check the cylinder walls. In colder climates I would fear my oil consistency and change it more often.

OP
OP
fahmzhatch

fahmzhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6spd
Country flag
Sorry about that, what kind of fuel?

Can you specific your exact configuration in ktuner? Like early spool and other quick enables too.

Good luck
Using Petro Canada Ultra 94.

Just the ktuner 19/21 dual. Rev hang disabled. P0420 disabled for life catless.

OP
OP
fahmzhatch

fahmzhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6spd
Country flag
Well, play hard, pay hard :)

check if your insurance will cover it?

I have Geico and they offer mechanical breakdown coverage.
Honestly I’m afraid to check with them for a few reasons.

1. Honda already checked the car & denied it so I don’t really wanna be dishonest with them about the reason. Potential risk of getting dropped by my insurance company.

2. I’m nervous about having the car written off as I don’t want to lose it :(

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you were stock on factory tune it sounds like hydrolock. Fluids don't compress, so if the chamber gets flooded, there is too much oil blown by, or the pcv is malfunctioning, rods will bend during compression. I would get in advance writing, by dealer or shop, what an agreed upon cylinder pressure test result in all four cylinders is considered a pass for the check/repair. If you open the door for poor compression now... Dilution, turbo, intake, and cat problems are going to plague the car ?

You should have the head taken off and the pistons removed. You may have cylinder wall scoring, the rings may need replacing, and clearances on valves and the all four pistons needs checking/adjusting. I'd get the wastegate solenoid replaced or cleaned out too. Anything that could have contributed to or been the victim of an over-compression event.

If you returned to stock block and factory tune and the car had gone through self-checks before the damage, one would think warranty coverage is valid. They can't tell what was tuned before, so at the least there is plausible deniability of having reflashed the stock tune again and again.

Rods are broken or not. Having two that bent ought to cause a slew of CELs. I don't see how there is sufficient doubt to cast blame on the rods on prior tuned and modded.
Does that mean your AC is not covered, due to a tune potentially causing more heat in the engine bay than there is stock?

If you get screwed by the dealership, have cylinder wall scoring, and are going to pay for repairs anyway... Consider getting a rebore, aftermarket piston heads, rods, rings, valves/springs. Lean into being OEM-shunned and take at vantage of labor and parts expenses partly incurred from "being in there" regardless.

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
Using Petro Canada Ultra 94.

Just the ktuner 19/21 dual. Rev hang disabled. P0420 disabled for life catless.
So partial throttle boost response, turbo spool and other settings were all default? Wow

McOyan

First Name
Di
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019YM Honda Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
I was running the Ktuner 19/21. I tried contacting them however they said the dealership does not want to cover it. They told me to try another dealership.
This map knocks a ton...

Tomodoki

First Name
Elijah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport MT
Country flag
Imo it's not impossible there was a lean condition (O2 sensor reading rich or SRI issue?) that caused detonation as cylinder 2&3 were going up, bending them backwards. From what I gather detonation did not occur at WOT, so it blew at part throttle. Anyone with more knowledge on this have any ideas? Because I could be really wrong. I know for a fact my car likes to run less rich with an intake, but within reason.
Sponsored