Benefits for 10th gen Civics with decreased unsprung weight?

lastbluesun

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5L Hatchback LX
Country flag
So I know it differs model to model with reduced wheel weight, but if one were to go from 29lb wheels to 15lb wheels, maintaining a 16" diameter (along with nicer tires) would you see faster accel, better braking/handling? Better MPG? I'm curious about any observations y'all have made.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
A lighter set of wheels will definitely help with acceleration, handling, and MPG (if you’ll use grand touring tires).

OP
OP
lastbluesun

lastbluesun

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5L Hatchback LX
Country flag
A lighter set of wheels will definitely help with acceleration, handling, and MPG (if you’ll use grand touring tires).
I'm looking at Konig Backbones, 15.2lb per wheel over the Hatchback LX 29lb wheels.

Saadeq

First Name
Saadeq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
Country flag
I'm looking at Konig Backbones, 15.2lb per wheel over the Hatchback LX 29lb wheels.
Are you sure OEM 16" alloys are 29 lb. Because touring 18" OEM are 29lbs. Wheel plus tire are 52lb. I have a winter setup (honda accessory)Enkei Draco 17x7.5 ET 45 19.5 lb wheel and Blizzak WS90 225/50R17 tires which is overall 7.5 lbs lighter each corner as compared to OEM 18" setup. I like the handling of 18" wheels even though they weigh more. But when I switch to winter setup (lighter) I can feel they are lighter (not a whole bunch but a bit) - the way suspension works and feels in some situations. But that does not translate in the feel of acceleration or braking. Maybe because of winter tires. MPG is quite the same as OEM again maybe it is winter tires. In your case, if the tires are the same you may feel a bit better than I described. Also, your difference in wt is about 14 lb. I am sure you will feel better. may feel better acceleration, braking, MPG and the overall feel of the car. The handling feel may be better due to the 10 mm extra track width and better suspension working. If you are after handling then bigger wheels and stickier tires shall give you a considerable jump there.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Just switched over earlier tonight from my 40lbs 18x8.5 with 245/35 summer setup, to my 53lbs 18x8 225/45 winter setup, and the car feels sluggish in a straight line. Braking Performance because of tire compound and heavier setup isn't as good either. Lastly, there's no way for me to attack corners the way I did with my summer setup.

Try to step up to a 17" wheel, with a 40 profile tire that's 245 or wider. It'll be safe on your pockets, and serve you well in having fun :)

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
So I know it differs model to model with reduced wheel weight, but if one were to go from 29lb wheels to 15lb wheels, maintaining a 16" diameter (along with nicer tires) would you see faster accel, better braking/handling? Better MPG? I'm curious about any observations y'all have made.
The subject title and the description are two different thing. In the subject title, it mentioned ‘upsprung’ weight but in the content, it described as ‘rotational’ weight. Both are different.

To answer the title on the benefits of reduced upsprung weight;

Reducing unsprung weight is the key to improving handling. The lower the unsprung weight, the less work the shocks and springs have to do to keep the tires in contact with the road over bumpy surfaces.

To answer the content on the benefits of reduced rotational weight, it has already answered.
Sponsored