Benefit of cold air intake??

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI 6spd manual Turbo
Country flag
Hey y'all just curious what is everyone's thoughts on Cai for the si? I was considering one.
I do not have a tune nor do I plan on getting a tune its a clean daily driver an want to keep it that way but do want to do a Cai if it's a reasonable thing to do for a little improvement for turbo spool sounds an possibility for power gains.
Thank you in advance for your answers ?
Sponsored

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sound only, stock one flows best
I'm gonna have to say you're completely wrong there. The stock airbox is pretty restrictive and susceptible to heat soak (more so than a cai). @ThatNewHondaSIGuy2021 , if you want a cold air intake for sound + performance, get the PRL Cobra CAI Street MAF. The sounds are ridiculously awesome and the ECU will account for the extra air, giving you 5-10 extra horsepower. You don't need a tune to use it, just don't get the Race MAF, as that requires a tune. There are plenty of tutorials to install the Cobra, namely ones by cameron hill, edge autosport, and Rick's garage if you go with the 27Won CAI. The sounds alone are worth the install.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't know about power but it lets you actually hear the turbo which is awesome. If you have the stock exhaust it might be interesting hearing only turbo noises because the prl cold air intake is really loud.
It adds power. From PRL's website - Performance Gains: 15 horsepower and 12 ft/lb torque gains in comparison to stock with Street MAF housing WITHOUT TUNE.
They have a whole page dedicated to the development and progress with their test car. link here.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
A CAI is nice for the sounds. Will also help lower intake temps. No effect on peak hp or tq though.
Unless you have a turbo upgrade, the stock intake is not going to be a restriction.

Other than a downpipe, bolt ons will not really do anything for power. Especially without a tune.

Take the OTS tunes like tsp 1+ and phearable 1.5R for example. Both are made on completely stock set ups. But make just about the same amount of power as a FBO custom tuned car.

OP
OP
ThatNewHondaSIGuy2021
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI 6spd manual Turbo
Country flag
A CAI is nice for the sounds. Will also help lower intake temps. No effect on peak hp or tq though.
Unless you have a turbo upgrade, the stock intake is not going to be a restriction.

Other than a downpipe, bolt ons will not really do anything for power. Especially without a tune.

Take the OTS tunes like tsp 1+ and phearable 1.5R for example. Both are made on completely stock set ups. But make just about the same amount of power as a FBO custom tuned car.
Mine is the 1.5 turbo from the factory.
I'm just trying to figure out which mod will be best to start with on my bone stock si lol.....
Im taking it Sunday to get windows tinted bc I hate a see through car ???

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Below are a few links from third party testing on our Cobra Cold Air Intake System via Hondata and Innovative Motorworks, as well as some common questions about our intake systems.

http://prlarmy.com/Blog/hondata-tests-prl-intake-performance-gains-cobra/
http://prlarmy.com/Blog/innovative-motorworks-1-5t-intake-testing/
http://prlarmy.com/Blog/10th-gen-civic-lets-talk-intakes/

Link to purchase the intake- and the product description has short term and long term fuel trim results.

https://prlmotorsports.com/civicxcoldairintake.aspx

If you have any additional questions please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected]

ThirdWorldSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
It's really simple. Modern cars are designed to meet strict emission standards. Aftermarket parts are designed to maximize airflow and performance rather than designed to keep emissions down.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah, that's not even close to being factual.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Last edited:

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Earlier you said 5-10 extra horse power and then you said 15 horsepower. I heard aftermarket intakes at best give you at least up to about 5 more horsepower, any more gains would result from a tune up or another upgrade like a bigger intercooler or larger inlet pipe not just the intake itself. I got the 27WON CAI but it doesn't feel much faster and I am on a stock tune. I don't know if those PRL dyno maps are taken on a full true stock comparison but I know the 27WON CAI, Vincent himself (check the comments below) said expect gains of about 3-5 HP on a stock car with the 27WON CAI without a tune and sometimes 5-7 HP when doing more testing of more civics. Is the PRL just that good or is the 27WON just that bad?
\
I said 5-10 because that seems to be what most people report. I quoted PRL when I said 15 hp.

The stock tune is slow, bottom line. Your car isn't going to suddenly lose half a second in 0-60 just from an intake. Having an intake with a stock tune is like putting on sprinting shoes without training and expecting your 100m dash times to improve. All the intake will do (when only on stock tune) is give you the ability to perform better. The ECU is slightly plastic in that it will adapt to the extra airflow and indeed give you more power. But just because you have more power doesn't mean your car will feel faster, that's mainly the job of the tune.

Phearable and TSP are both amazing tunes, and even without those, the KTuner base maps are more than enough to tell a difference and wake the car up. If you want your car to be faster, tune it. No amount of bolt ons will get you where you want power-wise without a tune. Furthermore, if you were to go FBO, why wouldn't you tune? It would behoove me not to tune my car if I was FBO.

Pay to play baby, if these bolt ons did nothing why would so many people be buying them? Food for thought.

Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT FK7
Country flag
Just installed my PRL CAI Race Maf and many benefits. Cooler temps, lower knock, better performance, and over all an awesome sound to go with it all. 10 out of 10 would recommend even the Street Maf. Can't wait to install my PRL FMIC w/ charge pipes.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just installed my PRL CAI Race Maf and many benefits. Cooler temps, lower knock, better performance, and over all an awesome sound to go with it all. 10 out of 10 would recommend even the Street Maf. Can't wait to install my PRL FMIC w/ charge pipes.
OP is talking about CAI without tuning, since you have the Race MAF I can only assume you're tuned. Did you get the PRL FMIC powdercoated black? Also how long did it take to ship?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Mine is the 1.5 turbo from the factory.
I'm just trying to figure out which mod will be best to start with on my bone stock si lol.....
Im taking it Sunday to get windows tinted bc I hate a see through car ???
Don't get me wrong, CAIs are nice upgrades to do. I just don't think people should be buying them with the expectation that they're getting power gains.

From what SIs I've seen derek tune on Instagram, adding a bunch of bolt on don't really help make more power. I even seen him say they aren't worth much in terms of total power output. They only help keep the torque curve a bit flatter.
Sponsored