RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Used the search but couldn't find anything.
Local dealer said he would give me the showroom 2019 Type R in aegean blue since the 2020 SGP is still in transit due to Covid19. But there's a Red 2020 at MSRP.

Question is: are the tweaks to the 2020 model worth the upgrade/money over the 19?

Below MSRP on the 19 would be ~32k-33k (waiting on the firm number tomorrow)

What are your thoughts?

Edit:
So buddy got back to me. 34.9k for the 19 vs 37.9k for the 20.... Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
..................Question is: are the tweaks to the 2020 model worth the upgrade/money over the 19?
Below MSRP on the 19 would be ~32k-33k (waiting on the firm number tomorrow)What are your thoughts?
IMO, NO! All depends how much off you can get a 2019 from MSRP. For sure dealers won't give anything off a '20 BB CTR. Got my delivery today and read my impressions compared to previous models. IMO, not significant at all except maybe for cooling and brakes if you intend to track. But then again, as I mentioned, many upgrades that would make any pre-2020 MY better.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/2020-ctr-test-drive-reviews.47926/

...the difference would be 5-6k in terms of price. Now the question is, what of the following actually matters to you, and are you willing to pay the 5-6k premium for it:............................it may make more sense to buy the 2019...........
Totally agree. All depends on how your negotiating skills come down to for a decent discount on a 2019.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Local dealer said he would give me the showroom 2019 Type R in aegean blue since the 2020 SGP is still in transit due to Covid19. But there's a Red 2020 at MSRP.

Question is: are the tweaks to the 2020 model worth the upgrade/money over the 19?

What are your thoughts?
MSRP on the 20 would cost about 38k. So the difference would be 5-6k in terms of price. Now the question is, what of the following actually matters to you, and are you willing to pay the 5-6k premium for it:
  1. Upgraded brake pads
  2. Upgraded brake rotors
  3. Improved suspension (for grip; claimed)
  4. Softer comfort mode
  5. Bigger radiator
  6. New fake bumper vents
  7. More flowing grill
  8. Upgraded, shorter shifter
  9. New shift knob
  10. Alcantera steering wheel (vs leather)
  11. Alcantera shift boot (vs leather)
  12. Active Sound Control (fake engine noises that get higher as you go to Sport and +R mode)
  13. Adaptive cruise control
  14. Collision warning and mitigation
  15. Lane keep assist
  16. Blind spot monitoring
  17. Heated mirrors
  18. Extra gauges in infotainment and logging
  19. Honda's +R app
Also keep in mind that all of these parts will swap over to the 2019 as well, so you could in theory pick and choose what you want with the exception of infotainment-tied stuff (13-19), but it will require labor (either paid or manual) and cost of parts. But if you only care about one or two of these features it may make more sense to buy the 2019 and buy some of the parts separately down the line. Heck, you might be able to ask the dealer to see if they could include some at a reduced price.

Last edited:

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
OP,
If you can get below MSRP on a '19 - that would be hard to pass up. WOW - bc it seems like we are still dealing with dealers adding 'accessory packages' to push the price to closer to $40k. I know some people talk about getting MSRP on their CTRs and whatnot but it seems like every dealer I email about one - they tell me the walkout price always includes accessories that I don't want.

In this situation - I think it would also depend on if the Blue or Red is something you really want over some of the other colors. For me, I have NEVER been into red cars but since I'm considering a CTR as a second/daily driver - red or blue would be up there in color choices since I have a Satin Black wrapped Nismo Z already.

Cranium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just picked up an 2019 AB Type R in Western NY in mid March for 35.5k. If I held out in this climate, I probably could have done a little better, but I feel good about it. Honda sensing would be nice if you do a lot of road trips, but that's about it. Also, got a great interest rate with Bank of America at 2.75%, which is also a factor. Good luck!

Broin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW Type R, '19 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I'm in Washington State and the markup here is still ridiculous. It's either impossible or just incredibly difficult to find any at MSRP, let alone a 2020. I'm actively shopping right now and I would get a 2019 if it was significantly under MSRP (close to invoice), but I would just get a 2020 if the price difference is $2-3k.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag

What are your thoughts?
I like saving money so a 2019 near invoice would be my choice. The 2020 'improvements' are mixed.

$32-$33k (with destination) before tax and reg would be a great deal.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
The 2019s need to be pushed off the lot in order to bring in the 2020s. I've emailed quite a few dealerships already in the past 10 days and the best deal I've received was 4K below invoice. Of course they only give you 36-48hrs to respond as part of their dealer-games. Some of those ridiculous Honda dealerships that occasionally add the markup on their vehicles have since backed-off and are now willing to deal at MSRP (maybe soon below if they are that desperate to sell).

The point I'm trying to make here is that in this current economic environment, some dealers in various parts of the US are desperate and willing to move these cars. The only downside I saw if I were to pursue that deal is paying for transport to bring the vehicle over to me on the West Coast. Even after costs of transport and staying below MSRP, you still come-out ahead.

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP,
If you can get below MSRP on a '19 - that would be hard to pass up. WOW - bc it seems like we are still dealing with dealers adding 'accessory packages' to push the price to closer to $40k. I know some people talk about getting MSRP on their CTRs and whatnot but it seems like every dealer I email about one - they tell me the walkout price always includes accessories that I don't want.

In this situation - I think it would also depend on if the Blue or Red is something you really want over some of the other colors. For me, I have NEVER been into red cars but since I'm considering a CTR as a second/daily driver - red or blue would be up there in color choices since I have a Satin Black wrapped Nismo Z already.
I've gotten a few out the door prices on the 20 and they didnt include any dealer packages in their quote they sent me.

OP
OP
RBrackett

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The 2019s need to be pushed off the lot in order to bring in the 2020s. I've emailed quite a few dealerships already in the past 10 days and the best deal I've received was 4K below invoice. Of course they only give you 36-48hrs to respond as part of their dealer-games. Some of those ridiculous Honda dealerships that occasionally add the markup on their vehicles have since backed-off and are now willing to deal at MSRP (maybe soon below if they are that desperate to sell).

The point I'm trying to make here is that in this current economic environment, some dealers in various parts of the US are desperate and willing to move these cars. The only downside I saw if I were to pursue that deal is paying for transport to bring the vehicle over to me on the West Coast. Even after costs of transport and staying below MSRP, you still come-out ahead.
I was thinking the same. Since i know the sales rep (friend if mine) I know the deal is legit but still waiting for the total cost of the 19 compared to Out the Door price of the 20

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
It's an optional feature, how is it a downgrade?
I'm not certain this is an optional feature- I think it's already part of the vehicle same as what they did with the new 2020 Honda Si's compared to the 2019 which didn't have these features installed. What I don't like about these features is that it may be a nuisance if you just want to drive the car like a car without having something controlling or predicting what you'll be doing and have an adverse affect in return (for instance the CBMS kicking in when it "thinks" when you're about to collide with another vehicle). I prefer to be in complete control of the car rather than letting a computerized front or backseat driver controlling what I need to do.
Sponsored