Been putting off rear brake replacement...

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The weather has been cold and crappy the past few weeks with a couple of snow days thrown in.
I postponed replacing the rear brakes hoping for a not-so-shitty day that I could get greasy and today was finally the day.
PowerStop Z17 Evolution Geomet coated rotors & ceramic pads had been ordered & delivered and I had picked up a 7mm Allen socket and an E-11 Torx socket to wind back the EPB mechanism.
Suffice it to say, this job was long overdue, and rather easy to boot.
Accessing, winding back the parking brake drive mechanism, compressing the brake piston and reassembling the EPB added less than 10 minutes a side.
Taking my time, this project took less than 2 hours, including going back and pulling one wheel again to refit the anti-rattle spring that flew off after I had put the car back on the ground.
And generally, since a post is worthless without pics, this is the better looking of the two rotors I replaced.
Honda Civic 10th gen Been putting off rear brake replacement... C6172FC6-5B00-44D6-9C72-34DDD1785315

The brake parts were surprisingly roached after 2 years and 31,000 miles of pretty sedate mostly highway driving.
I’m especially (un)impressed by how glazed the OEM factory rotors got and the big areas of the friction surface that have just flaked off.
Especially considering that I drive this car like an old man.
I save the driving like an asshole for the Boxster S and the R56 Cooper.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
did you take off the electric parking brake actuator ?

OP
OP
BoxsterSteve

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
did you take off the electric parking brake actuator ?
I removed the pair of 5mm Allen bolts to access the drive mechanism for the EPB.
Then wound the shaft clockwise to permit retracting the brake piston, and then did the age old C-clamp trick to push the brake piston back into its bore and buttoned it up again.
I found there was no need to disconnect the EPB power.
There is plenty of power wire and brake line slack to separate the black plastic parking brake motor and the brake caliper to work inside.

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great write-up! I am amazed at the condition of the rotors after only 31,000. How much material was left on the pads? I do mostly highway and on my 2016 ext with 110,000 I am still on the original pads front and rear.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Mine looked the same. The rear rotors don't hold up to well to road salt.

OP
OP
BoxsterSteve

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great write-up! I am amazed at the condition of the rotors after only 31,000. How much material was left on the pads? I do mostly highway and on my 2016 ext with 110,000 I am still on the original pads front and rear.
Do you get road salt thrown down the way we do here?
It’s sickening how much damage that stuff does.
The inboard pads were near perfect, outboard ones not so much.
They were over half gone since they got the cheese grater treatment from running over those spots on the fronts of the rotors with the surface missing.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you get road salt thrown down the way we do here?
It’s sickening how much damage that stuff does.
The inboard pads were near perfect, outboard ones not so much.
They were over half gone since they got the cheese grater treatment from running over those spots on the fronts of the rotors with the surface missing.
I do get lots of salt here in northern Illinois.

17SIYoDood

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Si
Country flag
im still on factory tires and pads rotors 17 si with 31k... i drive spirited when the roads are empty which is alot given i work 3rd shift... i think my car was built on payday that had a bonus included with a pay raise. my baby is sound! i even say goodnight to her, good job today gapping that srt4 again and good morning, etcc... I started doing that to my cars on my 3rd car (this is my 4th and a half. Ever since i named my cars and started talking to them like that they allllll started treating my better especiallyw when i only treat them with the best parts money can buy i.e. factory parts for normal things which isnt much, aftermarket i ONLY use 27WON and MAP. When these factory tires are done I will be buying a a winter n steel setup and my summer only tires im in a tossup between mich's and nittos... also i bought the wheel and tire package. so after this winter of shitty pennsylania pot holes and salt. im gonna get all 4 new wheels for a deductible of 250 bucks. best part is if they have a scratch deep enough in the wheel its replaced no questions asked and thats valid up to 80k or 5 years. whatever comes first... the dealership i've been using and my family have treated us and every customer so amazing it blows my mind. they are really good people there and that goes against everything anyone with a sane mind believes about stealerships ya kno?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
102K miles...
Time to clean up my brakes for my 102,000mi service. Not too shabby for the mileage. First time brakes have been pulled and cleaned. Still had factory lube on back of pads. And still had 10mm of material left!
CFCA6F99-D83F-46D2-8DCA-6F0EC356E539.jpeg

D2F62ABA-7037-450E-9C5A-26984A5BA0F2.jpeg

527B5E4E-5F47-4C9C-AD30-F34B5F249AA8.jpeg

C1DDB19B-639E-4896-9C9D-64DED3AC034F.jpeg

Pics are before cleaning