BBK for our Gen X Civics

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Practical wise..no one should needs big brake kit for daily commute driving...
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Im on my second set of pads. On track my brake temps hover around 415 degrees. My main issue is dissipating heat.
415F? That still seems in the range of hybrid street/track pads. Have you tried non-oem pads?
+1 to totopo's question. I'd also ask about fluid.

This also sounds like an opportunity to add vents to the bumper.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Best upgrade for brakes, gravity bleed, tires, then pads.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
The pads aren't fading due to heat, I'm boiling fluid due to heat. So my logic is that if I can lower total brake temperature I will be less likely to boil my fluid as well.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The pads aren't fading due to heat, I'm boiling fluid due to heat. So my logic is that if I can lower total brake temperature I will be less likely to boil my fluid as well.
I take it you've already replaced the fluid each time, then (you track guys know how important it is).

Which pads are you using, then?

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
Different pads don't decrease temp to fluid. If anything better pads will increase your brake fluid temps. Are you sure you are boiling? You get immediate loss of pedal feel? You have bubbles when you bleed every time? I am a little skeptical. I've boiled oem brake fluid before but i've never boiled ATE 200 and I haven't really heard of it from people much faster than me. I am kind of skeptical the civic has enough HP or enough brake to boil dot 4.

Are you using a real brake fluid like ATE 200 or Motul RBF 600?

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Different pads don't decrease temp to fluid. If anything better pads will increase your brake fluid temps. Are you sure you are boiling? You get immediate loss of pedal feel? You have bubbles when you bleed every time? I am a little skeptical. I've boiled oem brake fluid before but i've never boiled ATE 200 and I haven't really heard of it from people much faster than me. I am kind of skeptical the civic has enough HP or enough brake to boil dot 4.

Are you using a real brake fluid like ATE 200 or Motul RBF 600?
I'm
Not expecting pads to change my brake temp. I'm expecting a BBK with slotted rotors to drop my temp and help dissipate heat. And I don't know for sure that it's boiling the fluid, but after one track day the pedal is soft and spongey. Don't even have enough pedal to get into abs braking.

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
I'm
Not expecting pads to change my brake temp. I'm expecting a BBK with slotted rotors to drop my temp and help dissipate heat. And I don't know for sure that it's boiling the fluid, but after one track day the pedal is soft and spongey. Don't even have enough pedal to get into abs braking.
oops, brain fart about the bbk. That does sound like boiling, you should flush and replace your whole brake fluid (not just bleed) ASAP with something good. ATE 200 is pretty cheap but you have to buy it in big cans. I'm surprised it would boil at such a low temp though, and for a new car... You have to replace the fluid now anyways, it is toast, and if you replace it with a good dot 4, i doubt you can get it to boil again. I just don't think bbk is the first step in solving your troubles. 415F is really not that high...

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oops, brain fart about the bbk. That does sound like boiling, you should flush and replace your whole brake fluid (not just bleed) ASAP with something good. ATE 200 is pretty cheap but you have to buy it in big cans. I'm surprised it would boil at such a low temp though, and for a new car... You have to replace the fluid now anyways, it is toast, and if you replace it with a good dot 4, i doubt you can get it to boil again. I just don't think bbk is the first step in solving your troubles. 415F is really not that high...
New fluids are in. Currently headed to the road course. Running for dot 4 instead of the factory dot 3

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If they'd fit, I have a front set of Cobalt Spec VR pads sitting around somewhere. Track-ONLY as they need some heat to begin working at all. (but they're for RSX Type-S brakes, so I'm sure they won't fit, sadly...)

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Why not just purchase the brembos from the type r and slap it on your hatch?

OP
OP
maaaaackle

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Why not just purchase the brembos from the type r and slap it on your hatch?
Cuz these are cooler.

lol

thats really it. like i said, shamelessly, these look cooler than the brembos on the Type R

compcrasher86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2001 BMW 330i 5spd, 1997 Mazda Miata 5spd
Country flag
Doesn't the type R have a different lug pattern too? That'll keep you from using the type R rotors. Maybe theres some out there the right Diameter and bolt pattern but you'll have to do some digging.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Doesn't the type R have a different lug pattern too? That'll keep you from using the type R rotors. Maybe theres some out there the right Diameter and bolt pattern but you'll have to do some digging.
But you can use the brembo calipers no?

SkyeHack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm personally getting StopTech BBK. Why you ask? Watch the video.

Sponsored