turbo dragon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI X
Country flag
Has anyone already or thinking of relocating their battery to the trunk? I've done it in a few other cars I've owned in the past but being this is my first Honda, I'm not sure if it will mess something up electronically or not.
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Chad,
It sounds like a ton of work fishing cable and it could potentially cause you a pile of grief if not done properly.
Might be a good idea on a race car for weight distribution. Is that your goal?

OP
OP
turbo dragon

turbo dragon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI X
Country flag
Good point. It is definitely not going to be a race car, atleast not any time soon. The other 2 cars that I did were weekend race and occasionally street.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
… and likely RWD for which the weight transfer might enable the rear-end to grip slightly better from a standing start - if you're pushing over 300 hp.

Ty3366!!

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Im thinking about doing this. It will make room for an air/oil separator later down the road when one is necessary. It will just clean up the engine bay for pretty!! I was thinking of just running 0 gauge from the existing connectors to the battery terminals in the trunk where it will sit. Any tips on the wiring end? Any special tips or things I should know? Seems pretty straight forward.

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've been thinking about doing this and am not finding any examples for 10th gen Civics. I think 0 gauge is a bit much, most off the shelf kits I've seen have 2 gauge wires. One thing that I think needs to be done is run both positive and negative cables from the trunk to the engine bay. Grounding to the chassis in the trunk may not give the starter enough juice and cause other electronic issues.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Make sure to consider how to vent out the toxic charging gases. Cars that come with batteries in the trunk (like BMW, Benz, Audi, etc..) use sealed batteries with vent hole connecting to tube that vents outside.

I hate to say it, but that's part of the reason why I stay away from any car that has battery in the trunk or even worst, under the seats.

Ty3366!!

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Make sure to consider how to vent out the toxic charging gases. Cars that come with batteries in the trunk (like BMW, Benz, Audi, etc..) use sealed batteries with vent hole connecting to tube that vents outside.

I hate to say it, but that's part of the reason why I stay away from any car that has battery in the trunk or even worst, under the seats.
Just get a sealed gel battery and your fine.
I've been thinking about doing this and am not finding any examples for 10th gen Civics. I think 0 gauge is a bit much, most off the shelf kits I've seen have 2 gauge wires. One thing that I think needs to be done is run both positive and negative cables from the trunk to the engine bay. Grounding to the chassis in the trunk may not give the starter enough juice and cause other electronic issues.
I would use 0 guage not 2. Also only for the power wire. Were the current negative terminal is just ground it to the chassis and than in the trunk ground the battery to the chassis. Make sure its bare metal and not painted. Its not a hard or complicated thing to do

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Gel battery is not some magic new tech. It's just modified Lead Acid. They don't fume as much but they still do. https://northeastbattery.com/battery-101-pros-cons-gel-mat-battery/ And do all the research you want beforehand.

And I think they're required to have blow off valves by law. Be nasty if the blow off valve opens in your trunk without vent tube.

Quote from the link
– No Fumes: Because these batteries are comprised of a gel substance there are minimal fumes created as a result of use. This means that there is a reduced need for ventilation which increases the potential applications gel batteries can be used for, as well as making them easier to charge anywhere.

Last edited:

Beholder84

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

I would use 0 guage not 2. Also only for the power wire. Were the current negative terminal is just ground it to the chassis and than in the trunk ground the battery to the chassis. Make sure its bare metal and not painted. Its not a hard or complicated thing to do

I've been looking at getting an Optima yellow top and a sealed case with a vent to put in the trunk. I can run a relatively small vent line through a grommet in the trunk to vent to atmosphere. I'll probably go with the 0 gauge just to be safe, that way I don't have to redo anything. Still going to be a bit of a pain to run the length of the car.
Sponsored