brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I was at Aberdeen Maryland this morning in my role as photographer for Blue Cheetah Bunny Run. Since I was early, I just sat in my 2016 Honda Civic Touring with car in accessory mode listening to the radio (CNN). Temperature was 40 degrees. I managed to run the battery down after an hour of listening. Does the radio take a lot of power to drain a car battery down in cold weather, or is it time to replace the car battery. Car bought February 2016, ended up getting Honda roadside assistance after the 5K was over.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There are tons of posts here mentioning how Honda cheaped out on our battery. I think one guy had his battery conk out listening to music for 15 minutes.

Cdw1008

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 vti-LX hatchback
Country flag
Yes I’ve had this issue too. Was working in the garage and had the radio on in the car for about an hour and noticed the DRLs start to flicker. Next thing battery is flat. But strangely when I turned it off and left it for 10 minutes it somehow regained enough charge to start weird. But yea these batteries are def not great!!

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Sorry but you definitely need to buy a new battery., this is another one of those little things that Honda does to piss off their loyal customers. OEM batteries used to last a lot longer, 4-6 years and now they don't even last 3.

OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sorry but you definitely need to buy a new battery., this is another one of those little things that Honda does to piss off their loyal customers. OEM batteries used to last a lot longer, 4-6 years and now they don't even last 3.
Getting ready to do that, but I defenitely will not be going to the dealer for replacement.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Getting ready to do that, but I defenitely will not be going to the dealer for replacement.
The last couple of times I needed a battery Walmart did a great job taking in my old and replacing with new all for a decent price.

OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The last couple of times I needed a battery Walmart did a great job taking in my old and replacing with new all for a decent price.
Going to go with Pep Boys but will check Walmart before ordering. Looking at Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got past 3 years like a week ago. Wouldn't expect it to make it to 5 though. I'll be happy with 4.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Replace battery with a higher CCA- problem solved :thumbsup:
or, IMHO

Replace Battery with a HIGH CAPACITY battery. (with adequate CGA for the size of the engine when it is cold and hard to turn over).

If you want to keep the radio on for an extended , you are looking for CAPACITY , not CGA.

Example: Look at those little Lithium Emergency starting batteries. They have a reasonable high CGA, but a very low capacity (they are small), you can get the current out of them, but only for a short time.

Then look at a BIG, HIGHT CAPACITY Car Battery. To run the radio for a long time it does not matter how HIGH a current you can draw, its more important that you can draw a smaller current for a LONG Time .. which is the CAPACITY, not the CGA.

OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
When I was a teenager my old man would yell at me if I ran the car radio without running the car engine. Back then you had a generator to charge the battery, not an alternator, and you had tube radio, which took a lot of power and took forever to warm up. Fast forward to yesterday. Old man would say "haven't learned a damn thing in 50 years". LOL

OP
OP

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
or, IMHO

Replace Battery with a HIGH CAPACITY battery. (with adequate CGA for the size of the engine when it is cold and hard to turn over).

If you want to keep the radio on for an extended , you are looking for CAPACITY , not CGA.

Example: Look at those little Lithium Emergency starting batteries. They have a reasonable high CGA, but a very low capacity (they are small), you can get the current out of them, but only for a short time.

Then look at a BIG, HIGHT CAPACITY Car Battery. To run the radio for a long time it does not matter how HIGH a current you can draw, its more important that you can draw a smaller current for a LONG Time .. which is the CAPACITY, not the CGA.
I got the biggest one that can fit the car without modification.
https://www.pepboys.com/bosch-plati.../2016/HONDA/CIVIC/4-1496 1.5L DOHC?quantity=1
Sponsored