First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi to all!

I have a 2016 Honda Civic Touring and I use a Uniden R3 Radar Detector to display the battery voltage as my car is running.
Before I drive of course it is in Park mode I'm getting 14.2V, when I start to get on the road when I shift the car to drive, I notice the voltage drop gradually quickly around to the 12's and sometimes it goes up and down depending on how I am driving. I also notice when I accelerate it appears that the voltage goes down and when I release the gas letting inertia go, you see the voltage come back up, then when I get to a stop light I usually see the voltage drops down, sometimes I seen it as low as 11.8v. Or one time I was backing up (reverse) and I saw it shoot down to 11.5v. Just know that mainly my car runs between 12.1v-12.6v on normal city speed limits. I also notice that the voltage stays good when I'm driving in cooler weather and it seems like the car runs better, but during the day time I get the ups and downs...
I'm very close to 60K miles, I still have the original battery when I bought the car in January 2016.

So I'm curious if this is a normal thing the car does or is there something really wrong.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Well the battery is a known weak link in our cars. But Autozone will test your battery and alternator for free.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi to all!

I have a 2016 Honda Civic Touring and I use a Uniden R3 Radar Detector to display the battery voltage as my car is running.
Before I drive of course it is in Park mode I'm getting 14.2V, when I start to get on the road when I shift the car to drive, I notice the voltage drop gradually quickly around to the 12's and sometimes it goes up and down depending on how I am driving. I also notice when I accelerate it appears that the voltage goes down and when I release the gas letting inertia go, you see the voltage come back up, then when I get to a stop light I usually see the voltage drops down, sometimes I seen it as low as 11.8v. Or one time I was backing up (reverse) and I saw it shoot down to 11.5v. Just know that mainly my car runs between 12.1v-12.6v on normal city speed limits. I also notice that the voltage stays good when I'm driving in cooler weather and it seems like the car runs better, but during the day time I get the ups and downs...
I'm very close to 60K miles, I still have the original battery when I bought the car in January 2016.

So I'm curious if this is a normal thing the car does or is there something really wrong.
If you are running the A/C, the electric cooling fans are probably going on and off causing the drops.

red06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I believe these cars have an electric load detector which controls the charging system. If the load is high the alternator puts out 14.4; if very little load it puts out 12.3 or thereabouts.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe these cars have an electric load detector which controls the charging system. If the load is high the alternator puts out 14.4; if very little load it puts out 12.3 or thereabouts.
I think this is the case, All part of the effort to reduce fuel consumption and engine load...there's no point in trying to cram 14 volts into a battery that doesn't need it. I know General Motors use this type of charging system.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Yes it uses sensor outputs to variably apply voltage/amperage. Sounds completely normal.

OP
OP

itselvis

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for everyone's input!

However I feel like like my pedal is more responsive when I have higher voltage however when it drops, its like I have to kinda step on it harder to get the car goin quick..
Sponsored