Battery issues

Yoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT
Country flag
"Never "assume" a dealer will do anything unless they can make money on it."
Yup! I was real busy so I never checked it. Dumb of me to assume the dealer checked it. Just as well. $85 and the wife has a reliable battery. We should be good for 4-5 years.
Sponsored

eXstasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
My CTR came with an H5 so after reading this I figured let me see what else might fit.

H6 AGM (Group size 48) installed minus the insulation.
It's tight but fit with just a little wiggling.
Cables fit perfectly with no stretching.

CCA 760/CA 950

Having gone through a dead battery in the middle of winter this is well worth the peace of mind.

20191104_132811.jpg
Updating this thread with my experiences. I wanted to try to put in an H5 AGM (Group 47) to match the OEM battery size, but the X2Power batteries that I've used before in other vehicles do not come in that size. After seeing your post, I went with the H6 as well. You're right, it does fit, but it is tighter than I prefer.

Size comparison
Honda Civic 10th gen Battery issues IMG_1005

Empty battery tray
Honda Civic 10th gen Battery issues IMG_1006

You can see here that it rubs the metal bracket that holds up one of the positive wires, the battery also sits a bit canted as the base it a bit too large for the OEM tray's contours
Honda Civic 10th gen Battery issues IMG_1007

I bent the wire holder bracket up and out a bit to clear the battery case
Honda Civic 10th gen Battery issues IMG_1090

I wrapped the battery in insulation since I figure it gets pretty hot in this engine bay
Honda Civic 10th gen Battery issues IMG_1091

I had to add some electrical tape at the corner for the positive connector because I worry the positive wire under that cover might somehow come into contact with the metal insulation wrap

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for the heads up on the X2 power battery. Got one today, it didn't drop in like I wanted it to, so I am making a frame for it. I will post installed photos when I finish it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Battery issues IMG_2093.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Battery issues IMG_2091.JPG

eXstasy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
Got it finished up today. I added a piece onto the tie down so I could bolt on the metal heat shield.
That’s some amazing work man! You could totally sell those brackets. I especially like the ability to mount the metal heat shield back onto it.

I agree the battery doesn’t fit into the OEM tray like how I would like.

Did you get the 20% off on the X2 as well as the rebate offer?

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
It's only been 3 months but so far no regrets upgrading.

EasyFrag

First Name
JOey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
That’s some amazing work man! You could totally sell those brackets. I especially like the ability to mount the metal heat shield back onto it.

I agree the battery doesn’t fit into the OEM tray like how I would like.

Did you get the 20% off on the X2 as well as the rebate offer?
Thanks! Once I get the stereo installed I will use the top brackets as a mounting point for the fuse holder. I have a vendor account with Batteries plus, so I got a little more than that off.

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
I assumed the dealer would have topped up the battery water as part of the Honda Certified Used Car inspection. :rofl:

Never "assume" a dealer will do anything unless they can make money on it.
Battery water low -- GREAT !!! "Customer will be buying a new battery soon !!!"
CPO is bulls**it in my opinion.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
It looks like none of the above posters mentioned measuring how much current the car draws when everything is turned off. If a good battery is mysteriously going flat, that seems like the most important thing to check. Just disconnect the battery cable and measure the milliamps. There will be some current draw for things like the radios that make Keyless Entry work. But if the current flow is more than the normal value, that car will just kill one battery after another.
I know this is an old thread, but you got a good point. I just had my 2018 civic hatchback towed to Honda because it wouldn’t start. It was fine for 2 years. We bought it new and only had 28,000 miles on it. It was fine one day and the next day it was dead. I was able to jump it and drove it around and it charged up enough to crank after a couple minutes of being off. But after a couple hours it was dead again. So Honda called me and said yes my battery was completely dead. They ran some diagnostics and tests and found that there is a large current draw somewhere that they are trying to find. So the battery wasn’t the cause, it’s a draw that killed it over time. So I’m waiting to hear what they find and how are they going to fix it. I also got a 2018 civic sedan Lx that has 41k miles and also owned for 2 years that has had zero battery problems and it has a 1000 watt amp hooks up to it. Our hatchback is completely stock though. So there is definitely something weird going on

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
I know this is an old thread, but you got a good point. I just had my 2018 civic hatchback towed to Honda because it wouldn’t start. It was fine for 2 years. We bought it new and only had 28,000 miles on it. It was fine one day and the next day it was dead. I was able to jump it and drove it around and it charged up enough to crank after a couple minutes of being off. But after a couple hours it was dead again. So Honda called me and said yes my battery was completely dead. They ran some diagnostics and tests and found that there is a large current draw somewhere that they are trying to find. So the battery wasn’t the cause, it’s a draw that killed it over time. So I’m waiting to hear what they find and how are they going to fix it. I also got a 2018 civic sedan Lx that has 41k miles and also owned for 2 years that has had zero battery problems and it has a 1000 watt amp hooks up to it. Our hatchback is completely stock though. So there is definitely something weird going on
Keep us apprised of what they find. I, and I'm sure many others, are quite curious.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Keep us apprised of what they find. I, and I'm sure many others, are quite curious.
Well just got a phone call and they said my car is ready. They said it was just the battery that was bad. So they said they replaced it with a new battery. Hmm first they said something about a power draw from somewhere and now they are saying it was just the battery. I guess I’ll have to see how long this battery lasts.

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
My 2017 EX civic battery just died, 4 months after warranty expired. I should have drained the battery before it failed and get a new battery at the dealership. Think my playing in accessory mode has finally killed the battery after about 3 years.

If I upgrade to a group 35 from a 47 does that void the power-train warranty? Is there a mounting kit available?

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I’m glad I came across this thread, repeat dead batteries in my 2018 Honda Civic are driving me crazy! Interesting to see getting a larger battery is an option, it’s too bad I would need to retrofit my car for it.
Sponsored