Battery Dies After 5 Minutes of Accessory Mode?

SilverFC1

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
I recently purchased a used 2017 Honda Civic, and I have noticed that the battery dies extremely quickly when being put into accessory mode (5 minutes at most). I had my battery and alternator tested by Advance Auto parts and they told me everything was good. I have never had any problem starting my car unless it has been put into accessory mode right before. I've heard Honda's batteries are pretty bad, so should I just get a new one? I've also tried scanning the codes through the OBD2 port, but it never seems to be able to connect. I am hoping that is not another separate problem since it has happened on multiple occasions. Honda told me it would be $165 to scan it even with a warranty. What should I do?
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
1. Headlights are off?
2. How are your driving habits? Lot's of short drives will discharge a battery. A car needs some long drives in order to charge the battery.

OP
OP

SilverFC1

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
1. Headlights are off?
2. How are your driving habits? Lot's of short drives will discharge a battery. A car needs some long drives in order to charge the battery.
I always put my headlights on the automatic setting. The last time this happened was soon after about an hour long drive, so I don't think it had to do with short drives.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Either something is draining it OR the battery is bad. A bad battery can test good even though it’s dying. If I recall correctly the Honda batteries are known to die after 3 years

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The battery had a good life. Time to replace. Advance auto guy doesn’t know jack.

OP
OP

SilverFC1

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
Thanks, I will probably end up changing out the battery. Any ideas on what the problem with the OBD2 port could be? I know it does get power, but it just never ends up connecting.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
You probably need a different scanner, are you using an el cheapo Bluetooth unit?

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
Your battery is done for. Their battery testers suck. Mine was doing the same thing and I just put in an Optima and it's good as new now. I can play music for 5-10 mins with out the engine on and it's fine.

OP
OP

SilverFC1

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
You probably need a different scanner, are you using an el cheapo Bluetooth unit?
This has happened with two different scanners. I can take it to Napa and ask them to check as well.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Re: the OBD... if the previous owner had a bunch of mods; that may explain it. If you see any non-factory wiring, splices, or general sketchy stuff in the engine bay or under the dash; it might be worth further inspection.

Agreed: re replace the battery.

OP
OP

SilverFC1

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan
Country flag
Update: I changed my battery and everything is working well, even the OBD2 port. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored