Battery Died, how to get into car

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I can just imagine some poor schmo needing to do some work on his car that requires disconnecting the battery and forgets to unlock the doors and then closes the hood with the battery disconnected.
I can just see that poor schmo being me.
Sponsored

CarNewbie9

First Name
Claire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Idk if someone has already said this but you should be able to slide a traditional key out of the key fob to use in your door. There is a button you slide over on the back top of the fob, and pull the fob down from the top. I recently had to figure this out for my car.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Idk if someone has already said this but you should be able to slide a traditional key out of the key fob to use in your door. There is a button you slide over on the back top of the fob, and pull the fob down from the top. I recently had to figure this out for my car.
Yup. In the original post.

MrWaYne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 1.5L CVT Sport Plus
Country flag
is the alarm still working when the battery is 'dead' (like there's a small amount of charge left just for the alarm?)

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Had a 9th Gen whose battery died once. That's the day we too, discovered the key cylinder mechanism in the driver door was disconnected. My condolences, OP.

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
There is a Scotty Kilmer video claiming that "new Hondas are crap" where he states that Honda designed the lock to be electronic and NOT mechanical. I guess he's spreading misinformation???

Here’s Why New Hondas are Crap - YouTube
I just watched the video, you can see that it's electronic as opposed to mechanical. You can literally see that it's not mechanical in the video, so unfortunately yeah, if our battery is completely dead then we won't be able to get into the vehicle even with the key. :doh:

honda_distractions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Hi,
I was out of the country for 4 months. My car battery died...so I can't get into the car. I tried opening the driver door with the key(from the fob) and it didn't seem to open. I have a bettery charger, so I just need to get into the car, open the hood and charge the battery. How can I do this?

Thanks!

honda_distractions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Hi,
I was out of the country for 4 months. My car battery died...so I can't get into the car. I tried opening the driver door with the key(from the fob) and it didn't seem to open. I have a bettery charger, so I just need to get into the car, open the hood and charge the battery. How can I do this?

Thanks!
Dead battery, locked out? Here’s how to open your Honda when nothing works.

What you will need:
Plastic strips cut from an empty milk jug, about 2 inches wide and 6 inches long.
3 wooden wedges, about 1 ½ inches wide, 5 inches long, ¼ to 3/8 inches thick tapering to a point.
Or 3 strips of wood, 1 ½” x 5” x 1/4” and 1 or 2 wood chisels.
A sturdy coat hanger, straightened with the curly end cut off.

Slide a plastic strip between the weather stripping near the top of the vertical door window frame, slide a second strip over this to protect the weather stripping. Insert a wedge or chisel between the plastic strips, this should open a gap between the door and car body. If using a chisel insert a strip of wood in the gap to hold it open and remove the chisel.

Do this to open a gap in the horizontal window frame near the rear of the window and again toward the forward part of the window. Form a hook in the straightened coat hanger that will catch the inside door handle. Slide the coat hanger through the gap in the window frame and door and hook the door handle, pull and unlock the door.

You will have to find the best places to bend the coat hanger and hook the door by trial and error.
Sponsored