Battery Died, how to get into car

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, that is bad design if there is no way in with no power. At least the hood release is still mechanical so you won't need to break into 2 parts of your car.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Wow, that is bad design if there is no way in with no power. At least the hood release is still mechanical so you won't need to break into 2 parts of your car.
Can the hood catch be "released" from outside the car .. maybe with some sort of "bent coat hook" ??
At least then one could charge the battery.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
In my car it seems like it's a mechanical lock unlocking and locking the driver's door. (also all the other doors unlock/lock remotely) It feels different when you try to unlock if it was already unlocked.
To unlock, turn clockwise a fraction of a turn as far as it goes, then go back to the neutral position and open the door by the handle. (when turned, the key blocks the handle)

I'm not going to disconnect the battery to test it.....

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Hi,
I was out of the country for 4 months. My car battery died...so I can't get into the car. I tried opening the driver door with the key(from the fob) and it didn't seem to open. I have a bettery charger, so I just need to get into the car, open the hood and charge the battery. How can I do this?

Thanks!

Ken!!! Tell us what happen?

You left your car in place and never were able to get into your vehicle. Now you have a $20k lawn ornament thats gonna be engulfed by vines and look like a bush. Then leading to a fight with your neighbor on why your always trying to break into your bush to charge your battery.

Reactions: Boz

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
In my car it seems like it's a mechanical lock unlocking and locking the driver's door. (also all the other doors unlock/lock remotely) It feels different when you try to unlock if it was already unlocked.
To unlock, turn clockwise a fraction of a turn as far as it goes, then go back to the neutral position and open the door by the handle. (when turned, the key blocks the handle)

I'm not going to disconnect the battery to test it.....
I can just imagine some poor schmo needing to do some work on his car that requires disconnecting the battery and forgets to unlock the doors and then closes the hood with the battery disconnected.

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan - Modern Steel Metalic / Black
Country flag
It seems like this was reported before on this forum, and that there was some mechanical issue with the physical door lock mechanism that a dealer needed to fix.

Hopefully the OP will follow up and tell us what happened!

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
By the way, if I use the physical key in my Civic's driver door, it's definitely a mechanical action that unlocks the door, and it also unlocks all of the other doors and the gas tank door.

MN_Mox

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Hybrid
Country flag
I've got the same problem with my 2014 Civic hybrid. The battery is completely dead with all the windows up and the doors locked. The key from the FOB doesn't do anything in either direction as it is an electronically controlled switch, not a mechanically connected lock mechanism.

The original battery was replaced 2 months ago after going dead all of the sudden, which I thought was fine since it's been five years and it's a puny battery.

The only symptom prior to the battery dying was that it started unlocking the doors whenever my key fob got close to the car -it unlocks automatically without having to press the button on the FOB or grab the door handles. This car doesn't come with that feature. (I like it though). But I have a feeling that this circuitry is staying active and draining the car's battery. Did the OP ever reply with the fix or is his car still growing shrubbery?

Last edited:

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Should be mechanical

MN_Mox

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Hybrid
Country flag
Should be mechanical
You're correct. It is mechanical. Apparently the factory assembled my door handle without making sure that the key spindle was properly seated in the lock's gear mechanism. When I took a peek inside the door, the spindle was just flopping around not connected to anything! It was a quick 5 minute fix and now I can get into my car when the battery dies!
Now if someone could just figure out what is killing my battery and why my doors unlock anytime I get near my car with either of my fobs, that would be awesome!
Also, in talking with the dealership mechanic, he said that this there is no alternator and that the starting battery is recharged by the hybrid drive battery? That seems weird to me, but maybe that system is to blame if a blocking diode is allowing my start battery to backflow and charge the hybrid drive battery? Any opinions?

Last edited:

JOELOTERO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HONDA CIVIC EX-T SEDAN
Country flag
Hi,
I was out of the country for 4 months. My car battery died...so I can't get into the car. I tried opening the driver door with the key(from the fob) and it didn't seem to open. I have a bettery charger, so I just need to get into the car, open the hood and charge the battery. How can I do this?

Thanks!
In case this happens to anyone else. The only way to do it is by Pulling down the left side innerfender and pull a black cable that opens the hood.

Honda Civic 10th gen Battery Died, how to get into car image

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag
By the way, if I use the physical key in my Civic's driver door, it's definitely a mechanical action that unlocks the door, and it also unlocks all of the other doors and the gas tank door.

lol... you do know that the rest unlock with electricity?

remusrm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic LX 6spd
Country flag

Most these days want more tech... remember this moment when the tech fails and you have a nice lawn ornament!

Boz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What does that have to do with what was discussed in this thread regarding how the factory assembled some of the driver door handles without making sure that the key spindle was properly seated in the lock's gear mechanism?
Sponsored