Base model Type R, who needs an Si

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Now that Honda has announced a more basic package lower priced Type R for 2018... I'm kind of wondering what the point of the Si is... unless you really wanted a coupe or sedan that performs slightly better than the base.

Initially I wanted a sport hatch, waited for the Si which appears to be a dud, went back to the sport hatch idea with a tune and now I'm more than happy to wait for this lower priced Type R!!
Sponsored

WNCSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si
Country flag
Now that Honda has announced a more basic package lower priced Type R for 2018... I'm kind of wondering what the point of the Si is... unless you really wanted a coupe or sedan that performs slightly better than the base.

Initially I wanted a sport hatch, waited for the Si which appears to be a dud, went back to the sport hatch idea with a tune and now I'm more than happy to wait for this lower priced Type R!!
Which package are you referring to and how much is the MSRP?

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Lol how much is this lowered price Type R....

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
Did I miss where they officially announced this or said anything about the pricing of it for that matter?

The only thing that gave a hint to this as far as I have seen is the iN system 2018 model which got removed. (Granted it's probably true) Honda didn't announce anything about the base model though or any specific pricing at all for the 2017 or 2018. (2017 is mid-30s for the touring package, not base unless they lied.)

If this base model does come to fruition though, I would expect it to be at least 1-2k less than the "mid-30k" touring model.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
It's probably $8k more than an Si. Would be awesome if it comes without the wing.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
There's still going to be a significant price gap between the Si and the R, especially when you take into consideration that you'll eventually be able to get an Si at (or below) invoice, while the R will likely command MSRP or above.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Maybe it'll be the Club Sport trim, like Honda did with the later year of the S2000.

fiatlux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 Sequoia, '10 M6, '13 STi, '16 TLX
Country flag
Maybe it'll be the Club Sport trim, like Honda did with the later year of the S2000.
Are you thinking of the Club Racer trim? That was actually more expensive than the regular S2000.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Even if they offered a CTR in the low 30's, I'd still be inclined to get the Si.

I like the CTR for what it is. But it lacks the extra civility & practicality I am wanting out of the Si.

Perhaps later in the cycle. But for 2018, many are predicting that Honda will either add Sensing to the Touring Package, or strip away some heavier add-ons like the audio system.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Like others mentioned, the price difference is still going to be pretty big. If money and availability were not an issue, then yes it would seem obvious to just get the Type R (assuming you want a more hardcore Civic like the Type R).

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
if this rumor is true, heck the stealerships might still and gouge the price on it making it $35k still. if this base model, takes out many of the amenities and keeps a good sounding radio, the suspension and reduces some weight, it might end up being the more highly desired car. but hell. we can only dream. honda teased us way too hard this gen. now i''m stuck in a GTI. lol. trust me, i still miss my SI and honda, just trying to to think about what could've been too much.

i can see the SI picking up some marketshare if the new SI ends up being a total blast to drive. if the SI get a combing mpg firmly into the 30's mpg and delivers, there are quite a few people who will consider it about 1-2 years from now.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
HondaPro Jason, who is privy to inside dealer information, now reports it is likely the 2017 Honda Civic Type R will be introduced late spring in the U.S. in just Touring trim while a likely cheaper base model will join the lineup in 2018.
Is not this the same guy that said that an insider told him that the Si was going to cone with a 2.0lt?
Sponsored

Last edited: